How often do you eat the same thing?

Options

Replies

• HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I think most of us have meal staples. I eat eggs pretty much every day. It would be difficult to go through my diary and find two days in a row that I don't have "butter", also.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I have the same breakfast and 10 am snack everyday because I can make it on Sunday for the whole week, makes my nights easier
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    When I go shopping, I try my best to buy multiple things in small amounts. I want salad in my weekly lunches, but other than that I don't use a lot of lettuce, so I spend a little to get just a couple of prepackaged salads. Soups, lunch meats... I hate wasting so buying for the week is tricky if you don't want to eat the same thing every day. It's easy for me at work to ditch my boring lunch and get something still healthy, but tastier and more expensive. So lunch can't be too boring!! This is wprking out for me so far, but I really have to broaden my food horizons otherwise bad eating comes into play.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    It's important (and cheaper) to have your go-to's, things you will most always have on hand which you can throw together and know how it will fit into your day. As you do this more and more, you will have a longer list of go-to's. Basically, any way you can set yourself up for success, do so, as this is a mental game more than anything.

The more you can plan, the better off you'll be.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals from the grocery sale ads
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    When I go shopping, I try my best to buy multiple things in small amounts. I want salad in my weekly lunches, but other than that I don't use a lot of lettuce, so I spend a little to get just a couple of prepackaged salads. Soups, lunch meats... I hate wasting so buying for the week is tricky if you don't want to eat the same thing every day. It's easy for me at work to ditch my boring lunch and get something still healthy, but tastier and more expensive. So lunch can't be too boring!! This is wprking out for me so far, but I really have to broaden my food horizons otherwise bad eating comes into play.

May I suggest switching to bagged baby spinach for the salads? I can usually incorporate spinach into dinner (pasta dishes, or stuffed chicken, etc) more easily than I can lettuce. You could use any other leftover veggies from the salads in dinner also - mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, cucumber, etc etc, to make sure they don't go bad. It's a little more prep work, but could work out to be cheaper and tastier in the long run. Boil some eggs, they last about 5 days, and add to the salad for a little extra protein.

I love veggies, they help stretch out the serving and allow me to keep my meat and cheese with dinner without busting the calorie ceiling. :devil:
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I have been eating soft tortillas and cheese and low cal sour cream and tomatoes and lettuce and beans and wholly salsa (mango flavour) constantly

I am not tired of it, it just seems to be my substitute for cookies or chocolate or something sweet..
  • amp187
    amp187 Posts: 374
    Options
    I eat grilled chicken breast + steamed vegetables almost every day. If I feel like mixing it up I'll cook up a dish with shrimp or tilapia instead, though.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i was just thinking about this the other day. i often eat similar stuff! but luckily, i don't find it boring.
  • claire19625
    Options
    pretty much the same thing, with some variations.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Every Work day
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    For breakfast and lunch, I eat the same or nearly the same thing each day. I pick my favorite foods that fit into my calorie and macro percentages. It's usually bacon and eggs for breakfast and a tuna or turkey sandwich for lunch. Dinner is the wild card but always includes meat or fish and vegetables.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I eat chicken and rice for lunch or dinner nearly every day, basically because if I'm working that day I don't feel like cooking much else or trying to figure it all out. It's quick and easy to make and I know my calories in it. Honestly it's my favorite and I could eat it for the rest of my life haha.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Over the years, I've been working hard on desensitizing myself from the pleasure of food and trying to treat it more like simple nutrition. Eating the same thing over and over can desensitze you. The thought of eating your next meal is not exciting, but you know you need it.
    That sounds like a terrible way to go through life. Food is one of the greatest pleasures in life, and for me at least one of the joys of embracing a healthy lifestyle is to really enjoy my food rather than just eat out of habit.

To answer the OP, I make a point of NOT eating the same thing through the week. As far as possible, I make sure my main meal each day consists of a different source of starchy carbs and protein, with a selection of whatever veg I have in the house. The only exception is when there are leftovers, so I might have chilli con carne with rice one evening then have the leftovers with a jacket potato the next.
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing almost everyday, sometimes dinner and snacks will be different.

Breakfast - cereal and milk

Snacks - fruit, bel vita biscuits, Vive up and go.

Lunch: Tuna and crackers

Dinner: chicken breast and salad or meat and vegies.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Pretty much same stuff every week. Alot of chicken, turkey, fish, salads, fresh veggies & fruits. Snacks are usually yogurt, carrots, granola bars or low cal kettle corn. Food just serves the purpose now, not so much a luxury anymore. First time in almost 6 weeks last night I cratered horribly & had a cheese burger & fries. Not ashamed to say I enjoyed every bite but I'm back on the wagon today!!
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat the same thing for a week. The same breakfast, the same lunch, the same snacks, with a little variation. Makes meal planning easy.

This is pretty much what I do. Not because it makes meal planning easy, but because it makes cooking meals for one so much easier. Things don't go to waste that way.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I go through some cycles, but I tend to eat the same things for breakfast and lunch on weekdays. Dinners and weekends, I try to do something different all the time.
  • valcladdagh
    valcladdagh Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same thing every day for several days ONLY because I wan't to eat up what I have before going shopping again. I"ll make a big batch of grilled chicken and then eat that all week till its gone. I hate to cook so I cook once and then store it all in containers and just reheat it or cut it up and put it on a salad.

This is what I do too, with the leftovers from our family suppers, so that they don't get wasted. Portioning them out to suit my calorie needs makes lunches so easy.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    During the week, breakfast and lunch are pretty much the same thing.

Generally blueberry oatmeal for breakfast, and a greek-type salad for lunch. I generally have some type of fruit for a snack during the day and I do switch this up based upon what fruit is on sale when I go grocery shopping.

Dinners are where I do switch things up, but even then I have generally planned each dinner when I went shopping over the weekend. Because it's just me and my husband, generally when I make something homemade for dinner we have leftovers at least one other night.

I also switch things up on the weekends, but often we have plans with friends, etc., so I may not be cooking like I am during the week.

Really knowing what you're planning to eat over the coming week helps with grocery shopping and staying on track. (At least that's what I've found...)