Tattoo Healing Ointment - Tell me what you use!

Options
aj_31
aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
Hi there. I got more work done on my back piece and from the beginning of time I've been using bacitracin. It works well but can be kind of messy. I use it for the first 3 days and then usually switch over to lotion.

I ordered some new stuff called H20 and it came in a box with 3 diff items. One was a blue/green soup, lotion type product, and then a nightime foam. Has anyone used this? I haven't tried it yet but I have it at home.
http://aftercare.h2ocean.com/tattoo/ultimate-tattoo-care/

What else are people using for their tattoos? Bacitracin works well but it leaves a mess on shirts you wear. Now that I'm getting multiple sittings I can't always take off work and I don't want to ruin my clothing. Today I'm wearing a shirt I don't normally wear so that works out well but I'd like to find something that works w/out leaving a mess.

Replies

• Girl_Bomb
    Options
    I keep the bandaid on for 5-6 hours rinse it with super hot water gently use a cloth to get the extra ink off then I leave it be until it starts to really dry out then I put non scented no dye hand cream on it 2-4 times and that's it, every single one of my tattoos has healed perfectly
  • Girl_Bomb
    Options
    You don't need all those extra creams, it's a tattoo, the ink is there to stay
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Palmers cocoa butter, with vitamin E.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil
  • fancyacuppa
    fancyacuppa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Antiseptic nipple spray/cream - I'm not even joking!! It's for people breast feeding so it's gentle on the skin but still does the job! It's been a while since I've had anything done, but I don't remember it causing a problem with mess.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've always used A/D ointment, available in the first aid or baby care aisles.
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    Options
    Tattoo Goo. Comes in a little tin and works great. Second choice is A&D. You can start using regular body lotion after a few weeks.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

^^^This is the correct answer^^^

Have been told by multiple artists.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options

This, A/D is the only stuff that I've used that keeps them from scabbing over and drying out.
  • aj_31
    Options
    Good to know there are so many options!

Is the A&D white or clear when you put it on? I think I used that on my daughter once when she was a baby but I can't remember. Does it leave that grease like feeling on you?
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I normally use cocoa butter. This last time I did use A & D ointment but it's greasy and gets on your clothes. It doesn't stain them, though so that's good, but still doesn't look all that great. That tattoo was on my foot so it was just the hem of my pants and I didn't worry about it and the only reason I used the A&D for that one was because I was afraid of more bacteria, etc., being that close to the ground in the summer wearing only flip flops.
  • Hmwarren84
    Hmwarren84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just use coco-butter with vitamin E. My husband and I got tattoo on the same day and he used tattoo goo and I just used my creme to keep it from drying out. A year later and the color in mine is better and his looks blurry. I used A&d ointment on other Tats (I have 10) and those ones look a bit faded now, but it has also been many years and I haven't gone in for touch ups.
  • aj_31
    Options
    Okay - so A&D also has that greasy feeling.

* Oh and anyone that gets a back tattoo. Here's a tip for you - I just learned this myself. Buy yourself a silicone spatcula. You can use that to put the ointment on yourself. It's awesome and it doesn't hurt at all. I have my spatcula and my cream here at work with me today. I'm sure I'll get a few laughs in the ladies room but it's better than trying to stretch my arms around like I did the last time.
  • aj_31
    Options
    Coco Butter - good to know. I would have never thought of that.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I've always used A&D, it seems to work best and you barely need any of it so it will last for a few tattoos. I don't mind the greasyness, because you only use it for a short time anyway.
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    Aquaphor.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Aquaphor is AMAZING. My artist recommended it, and it worked great. I keep it around to use on burns as well (I'm really good at burning myself on anything that could possibly burn me).
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Aquaphor....works really well and not messy.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I use Aquaphor.
  • aj_31
    Options
    A girl at work used Aquaphor and she said it worked well. Maybe I'll try that. I know I have a small thing at home.