Armour thyroid Meds

Options
Wondering if there is anyone out there that is taking Armour and how they are doing with it? I would like to get on it and I believe it could change a lot of symptoms as well as improve my health switching to it but I would just like to hear what anyone who is taking it has to say. How did you start on it? Did you start on a low dose? How long before you increased it? What did you say to your doctor? Thank you!

Replies

• nc_moon_beam
    nc_moon_beam Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wondering if there is anyone out there that is taking Armour and how they are doing with it? I would like to get on it and I believe it could change a lot of symptoms as well as improve my health switching to it but I would just like to hear what anyone who is taking it has to say. How did you start on it? Did you start on a low dose? How long before you increased it? What did you say to your doctor? Thank you!

Do you suspect your thyroid is underactive? What are your symptoms? Armour is by RX only, and only for a DX of hypothyroid or to get your levels in the correct range after thyroid removal. It's not something you take to "improve your health" unless there is a medical DX for doing so.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You don't say if you are taking thyroid medications at the present.

In general, thyroid medications are for those who have hypothyroid or have had their thyroid removed. Symptoms of a low functioning thyroid can vary from person to person, but include constipation, weight gain, hair lose, tiredness, dry skin, and low pulse rate and/or blood pressure.

Your doctor will order a TSH blood test to determine if your thyroid is hypoactive. If it is, you will be placed on thyroid medications. You can request, at that time, to be placed on Armour thyroid. I am told that it is more natural and is metabolized better, but I take generic thyroid medication and have no problems with it.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence when I say this, but thyroid medications should not be taken unless you are under a physician's supervision and having the proper test done. Test readings are confusing, but the higher the number, the more hypoactive your thyroid is. If you are on the high end of normal, some doctors will place you on the medications if you have the symptoms of hypothyroid.

When I cut gluten out of my diet, my thyroid medication had to be reduced because I became hyperthyroid. I really didn't feel all that great in the hyperthyroid state. My heart was racing all the time and my blood pressure was elevated. I was hot all the time. So I know that taking the wrong dose is not good for you.

Hope this helps.
  • susybon
    susybon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have taken armour thyroid for over 10 years for hypothyroidism. It is the only thyroid medication that I have ever used under doctors supervision. Since beginning my weight loss journey in December I have been able to lower the dose amount three times. (at my doctor's orders) I also have fibromyalgia and have been symptom free for months. Praise God! I take 60mg 4 times a week and half a pill three days. Only your doctor could prescribe the correct amount. Weight loss and being healthy is still possible with low thyroid, although it might be a little slower. I did it with low thyroid, fibro and menopause!
  • Stephanieb325
    Stephanieb325 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have been hypothyroid for 6 years. I have heard of Armour. I was just wondering. I am very educated on the synthetic meds I am on now but would like to take a natural approach as I have heard many good things about it. I should have included this info as well. I would never try to take meds that I did not need. That is just silly. Thanks for the info. Anyone else have information on Armour that is actually taking it?
  • Stephanieb325
    Options
    I have taken armour thyroid for over 10 years for hypothyroidism. It is the only thyroid medication that I have ever used under doctors supervision. Since beginning my weight loss journey in December I have been able to lower the dose amount three times. (at my doctor's orders) I also have fibromyalgia and have been symptom free for months. Praise God! I take 60mg 4 times a week and half a pill three days. Only your doctor could prescribe the correct amount. Weight loss and being healthy is still possible with low thyroid, although it might be a little slower. I did it with low thyroid, fibro and menopause!

Thanks for the info.
  • Stephanieb325
    Options
    You don't say if you are taking thyroid medications at the present.

In general, thyroid medications are for those who have hypothyroid or have had their thyroid removed. Symptoms of a low functioning thyroid can vary from person to person, but include constipation, weight gain, hair lose, tiredness, dry skin, and low pulse rate and/or blood pressure.

Your doctor will order a TSH blood test to determine if your thyroid is hypoactive. If it is, you will be placed on thyroid medications. You can request, at that time, to be placed on Armour thyroid. I am told that it is more natural and is metabolized better, but I take generic thyroid medication and have no problems with it.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence when I say this, but thyroid medications should not be taken unless you are under a physician's supervision and having the proper test done. Test readings are confusing, but the higher the number, the more hypoactive your thyroid is. If you are on the high end of normal, some doctors will place you on the medications if you have the symptoms of hypothyroid.

When I cut gluten out of my diet, my thyroid medication had to be reduced because I became hyperthyroid. I really didn't feel all that great in the hyperthyroid state. My heart was racing all the time and my blood pressure was elevated. I was hot all the time. So I know that taking the wrong dose is not good for you.

Hope this helps.

Should have included all the information but didn't think I would need to. If I am asking about it, then I obviously would need it or am able to switch to it. Just wanting to see what others opinons are that are on it . Thanks for your input though. Very nice of you to care.
  • Stephanieb325
    Options
    Just to be clear before anyone else suspects I am trying to take medications "just because" I want to lose weight, let me clarify. I have been hypo for 6 years. I have been getting tests done every 3months to get my meds correct. Yes every 3 months. I recently been told I can get my thyroid checked every 6 months now. I see an Endo but my endo has changed every year as I am in the military so are the doctors and they get moved around often.

I have heard about Armour, through a new Endo and nurses. I would like to know more about it. I am not ignorant nor would I ask a question like this even I didn't need it or could not be put on the medication. My TSH levels seem normal. I would just like to further educate myself on Armour. I would like to hear about peoples person experinces with it. I can read, read and read all the information I want to online, magazines, books, but I would much rather hear persoonal experinces.
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    After about 20 years on Synthroid, my doctor recently switched me to Armour. Before the switch, I was feeling very blah: not sad depressed, but very tired all the time and not caring about much. I was functioning but not well. After a couple of weeks on Armour, I am feeling better. I can think more clearly and have more energy to do more than the absolute minimum.

For my specific symptoms, Armour seems to have helped. I have read that it may be necessary to raise the dosage soon or possibly combine using Armour and Synthroid. I'll talk to my doctor in a few weeks.

I've no idea of Armour's effect on weight loss, but I know that I have more energy to exercise now than I did a few weeks ago. I still need to do it!

Google for Armour thyroid: there are several websites that advocate for its use to treat hypothyroid. I've found forums with personal experiences from other hypothyroid people interesting to read. (I can't recommend any sites since I don't know how accurate the info is.)
  • nc_moon_beam
    nc_moon_beam Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification!

I have been on armour for a little over a year and it does a lot better for me than the synthetics did.

At your next appointment, just ask your doctor about changing over and tell him/her why.
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have been on armour since last december and its turned my life around.
    I gained 38lbs on synthetic thryoid, had all my under active symptoms and felt so miserable. all this was supposedly my levels were normal? ya right.....

I googled and googled and trawled the net for help and thats when I discovered Armour.
    After reading everything I could I went to my doc who had never heard of it but was very understanding and rang the local pharmacy who knew of amour and put me on it!

I would advise you and anyone else to go on it.
  • Stephanieb325
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses! I really do appreciate it all of the input. I can handle eating right and working out to lose weight, its the other "stuff" that gets me. I did some research and thought it might be a better switch. But with yalls input I may just go for it. I am nervous because I have been on synthyroid for so long and the past few doctors say its the best thing for me, up until this new doctor and nurse came in and ask have I ever thought of Armour. I just want these other symptoms (emotional/depression, tiredness, being cold all the time, lack of motivation and concentration) to go away, lol.

Again thank you for the input, ladies, I really do appreciate it!
  • sittingduck180
    Options
    I am in my third month of switching from synthroid to armour thyroid... there have been many pros and cons, but I am so far very, very pleased with how I am feeling!
  • katinawinters
    Options
    I have been on the combination of T3(Cytomel) alone for about a year after being on Synthroid for 4 years and was doing really well on it. However, it suppressed my thyroid too much and we lowered the dose and added the Synthroid to bring up my T4 because it is always low or below lab limits. I have been interested in trying the Armour too. I know I see my doctor in February and thought about asking for this as well. I say do your research and have heard great things about the Stop the thyroid madness website and book as well.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I have heard about Armour, through a new Endo and nurses. I would like to know more about it. I am not ignorant nor would I ask a question like this even I didn't need it or could not be put on the medication. My TSH levels seem normal. I would just like to further educate myself on Armour. I would like to hear about peoples person experinces with it. I can read, read and read all the information I want to online, magazines, books, but I would much rather hear persoonal experinces.

I know this is an older thread, but wanted to comment just in case.

First and foremost, TSH is NOT a thyroid hormone, it's pituitary hormone. Second, often doctors use the incorrect measure of "normal" for TSH. It can be very suppressed in people taking synthetic T4 meds (like synthroid and levothyroxine).

You need to get your free T3 and free T4 tested, to see where your thyroid is really at. T3 is the "active" thyroid hormone that works at the cellular level. Often people who are on T4-only meds have an issue converting that synthetic T4 into T3....so their TSH might be "normal" but they are still very symptomatic and feel terrible.

Armour (and Nature Thyroid) are meds made from dessicated pig thryoid. The not only contain T4 *and* T3, but the T4 is bioidentical to the T4 from your thyroid and is easier for your body to convert. These meds also contain needed T2 and T1 hormones.

Many, many thyroid patients feel much better when switching to a natural/dessicated thyroid med.

Also, have you had your antibodies tested to determine if your thyroid issues are autoimmune related?
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos and have been on synthroid since August 2011 and cytomel since June 2012. I've asked my endo to increase my T3 since it's still at 79 even with the Cytomel, but get the whole, "your tsh is fine, your symptoms aren't caused by your thyroid". I have to send my bloodwork requests back to them each time to add T3 to the order.
    I can't fathom why a doctor that specializes in this can be so flippant. I've gained 25% of my body weight in this time frame even while eating right and working out. It's maddening. I'm going to a lecture this weekend about hormonal health and hope to learn more and be able to take knowledge to the endo to try to push her to think outside the box. I'm extremely intereseted in the Armour since I'm not converting the T3 like I should be.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos and have been on synthroid since August 2011 and cytomel since June 2012. I've asked my endo to increase my T3 since it's still at 79 even with the Cytomel, but get the whole, "your tsh is fine, your symptoms aren't caused by your thyroid". I have to send my bloodwork requests back to them each time to add T3 to the order.
    I can't fathom why a doctor that specializes in this can be so flippant. I've gained 25% of my body weight in this time frame even while eating right and working out. It's maddening. I'm going to a lecture this weekend about hormonal health and hope to learn more and be able to take knowledge to the endo to try to push her to think outside the box. I'm extremely intereseted in the Armour since I'm not converting the T3 like I should be.

That sounds like the total T3 result (79). I would ask to have them run your free T3, as this only includes the .03% of T3 that is biologically active (and not bound to carrier proteins like the other 99.7%).

That doctor doesn't specialize if they just look at TSH. To be honest, I would find a new doctor....

You can also go through First Choice Labs or MyMedLab and get your free T3 run on your own. First Coice is $35, your pay online and they email you the lab requisition. You just take it into the lab like you usually would, and you get the results online through First Choice.

Looking at Armour or Nature Thyroid is a great idea! Remember that once you switch you should get your labs done first thing, and don't take your meds until AFTER the labs are done (as taking them before can give an artifically high free T3 result).

Good luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I take Tirosint which seems to be the most pure form of bioidentical hormone without excess fillers.
  • kcritter77
    Options
    My free T3 is 2.7, which is in the "normal range", but on the low end.
  • kcritter77
    Options
    Rainbowbow- do you get your T3 levels checked? Also, do you have hashimotos?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Rainbowbow- do you get your T3 levels checked? Also, do you have hashimotos?

I do not have hashimotos. I get all of my levels checked about monthly as they are still too low. (TSH was 3.1 last time and i am on 75 mcg of tirosint).