Dangit !! Dr said "no more running" now what

Options
13»

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. If you're worried about gaining weight then I would start with logging your food. It is much more about diet than exercise.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I had a cracked wrist joint in a pressure cast and ignored the doctors orders and over-used it for a week. That dislocated the position by a millimeter and left a bump in the joint and caused a permanent problem. I am now threatened by possible arthritis later. The risk of surgery making it worse made that a non-option.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Weight training.. it's better for fat loss anyways than cardio.

this!
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I hurt my It band in July. No running for me either. I have been cycling, swiming, pilates, walking and weiht lifting. You must rest some too in order to heal.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    I saw a couple people say to get another doctor because yours told you no running, but I have to disagree, your doctor is right: I pulled the flexor hallicus tendon in my ankle two years ago (hard to believe that I damaged the dancer's tendon and I wasn't dancing, but I digress) but I didn't realize what had happened because I wasn't feeling pain, just had off and on swelling, because I kept doing activities (I was jogging and taking kickboxing using a bag) I tore the tendon. Dr said if I had come in when I first pulled it and gotten therapy it would have been a temporary thing of no running, no impact kickboxing, but because I went too far, I may never be able to do them again.
    Once I was able to be back on it, my therapist gave me exercises to build the tendon back up and recommended that I could dance (no jumps, no turkish drops) walk, bike, swim, yoga, and weights. They didn't recommend an elliptical because it still had some impact to it and the tendon was still fragile at the beginning.
    It's been two years, but at the beginning of this year I was able to start jogging again (in intervals) I still can't do impact kickboxing, and I may never be able to wear heels for longer than 2 hours (provided I don't spend the whole time on my feet.)