Share your secret to dedication!

Options
1235»

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Last year around this time I decided it was finally time to get back into shape. I only had about 25 pounds to lose. I joined MFP and did really really well with eating right and exercising. I lost 15 pounds the first month. Then, I started slacking off and eventually gave up. I gained all the weight back plus more.

In November I got engaged. I decided I HAD to get fit for my wedding. No one wants to be fat in their wedding pictures. I purchased a sale dress that was 3 sizes too large and made arrangments to have it taken in before the wedding. I started back up with MFP, and failed again.

April, 3 months before my wedding, I had gained even more weight and I realized it was my LAST CHANCE. I found a very inspirational quote: "If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up."

And then I gave up.

A week before the wedding, I went in for my final dress fitting. The zipper WOULDN'T BUDGE. My worst nightmare. I took water pills and starved myself enough to fit into the dress just barely. It was still tight.

After getting the wedding pictures back from the photographer, I couldn't stop the tears as I looked at myself squeezed into a dress that I was drowning in just months ago. I felt ginormous. I was larger than my husband, an ex football player who used to be twice my size. I decided that I don't have to be miserable for the rest of my life. I want to feel beautiful. I want my husband to be attracted to me. I know that underneath these 50 extra pounds is a girl who is worth something more than what she sees in the mirror.

I feel dedicated, but I still fear quitting like all the other times. What is your secret to sticking with it? I must know! xoxo, Liz

It was hard. I stuck with it. I wrote my story here, I hope it helps --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    A year ago I wore size 20 jeans and 2x shirts, now I wear size 8 jeans and s/m shirts...that's what keeps me dedicated. I kept my largest shirt and pair of pants....they are hanging in my closet, when I feel like I'm slipping I go and look at them, and it snaps me back.
  • dualcollision
    dualcollision Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Mine comes down to pretty much 2 things

1) I always have people telling me I can't and after some soul searching through college, I started training my brain to tell me they are wrong and I always end up proving them ALL WRONG! :D

2)I tend to always be a little frustrated/angry (kinda like the hulk, My secret is I'm always angry) If I take it out on the weights, I feel a lot better each week and a lot more in control! :)
  • Ashlee2421
    Ashlee2421 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I wake up to my poster every morning.

"Eat like ****. Feel like ****. Look like ****."

My son is my dedication. I can't expect him to eat healthy and do right by his body while I'm sitting on my butt eating fast food.
  • carlaat
    Options
    MFP and my NIKE sensor are both great motivators. They help me to track what I eat as well as my daily/weekly performance. Yes it gets hard at times, but don't make excuses. Excuses are "ONLY" good for those who make them.
    You have to want it! You have to believe in yourself! Set a goal and don't give up until you reach it. Once you've reached your goal set another one.
    Train insane or remain the same
    No excuses
    Discipline
    Planning
    Dedication
  • Owsla135
    Owsla135 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • MsMartyMac
    Options
    On days I dont want to exercise I put on my exercise gear, and I tell myself, "Just 10 minutes. Only 10 minutes." That little lie is enough to get me started, and since I started I may as well finish. I have never exercised for just 10 min yet.

This is absolutely TRUE! Getting Started is the hardest part!!!
  • MsMartyMac
    Options
    You have to tell yourself that you have the inner drive and determination to do this. No one can do it for you. No one can motivate you into doing it. It's not even enough that you want to do it. You just have to do it.
    And when I don't feel like doing it (which sometimes I don't) I just tell myself "suck it up, cupcake!" and do it anyway.

I spent years telling myself how sick and tired I was of always being overweight. Finally this is what clicked for me... "all hard work brings a profit, mere talk leads only to _______________ (fattiness). I had spent so much time talking about what I was going to do that it was time for me to do something. NO ONE ELSE WAS GOING TO DO IT FOR ME. I had to realize this was a long process and just take one day at a time. Eat right, exercise today...check. Next.... do it all over again tomorrow. Not focusing on the end but on the steps... Focus on the activity not the results.... Do it EVEN when you just don't want to.
  • 311melissa
    311melissa Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well and hope to get some ideas from others. Good luck!
  • Amking1986
    Amking1986 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have always struggled with my weight. I am one of three girls and growing up I was always the large sister. What I never understood was how I could be the athlete of the family, workout 24/7, and still be 4 to 6 sizes larger than my sisters. It has taken many years for me to realize the only way to be happy with who I am is to get my butt in the gym, find something that interests me, and to change my eating habits. Prior to deciding to change my life and my ways, I wrote down three reasons why I would begin losing weight and getting more fit.
    1) I never wanted to weigh more than 200 lbs
    2) I did not want to be considered obese
    3) I did not want to get diabetes
    When I realized I hit two of the three reasons as to why I did not want to live the way I was living, I realized I needed to do something about it. I never talked to anyone about my weight, what I was thinking, and why I was so discouraged until last year. About eight months ago my best friend came to me and asked me to participate in a half marathon with her. After struggling to run a mile, I decided to call her up and commit to running the half marathon. Four months after I made that commitment I ran my first half marathon and realized not only was I able to run one mile, I was able to run 13.1 miles. After the half marathon I began comparing my before and after pictures and saw a transformation in who I was. For the first time in six months I chose to get on a scale and realized my weight was still up there.
    It has been four months since I ran my first half marathon and although the last four months have not been easy, they have helped me to transform my lifestyle, eating habits, and helped me to learn about the person I truly am. I recently decided to change my approach and instead of setting a weight goal, I chose to set a goal of cutting out wheat, dairy, sugar, and alcohol. I recently began a weight loss challenge and told my self to not become consumed in the number on the scale but to become consumed in the person I am becoming and wish to become. I am happier than ever and can honestly say my motivation stems from my willpower and strength to become a healthy individual. With this motivation comes the ability to transform my body from an overweight individual to a more tone and happy individual.
  • batista_ipad
    Options
    My first post :)

I find that if I can log onto Facebook every night... I can log onto MFP and record all my meals. When (if) I see that big red line on the bottom, it motivates me to get on the elliptical for as long as it takes to make that line green.

During the day, I find myself reading a lot of nutrition labels and planning my meals ahead of time; I find that if I eat something that is well-above my recommended meal allotment for the day, it makes me feel guilty. It is especially helpful at lunch, because then I feel like if I eat the unhealthy thing, I'll be eating a small/crappy meal for dinner. That usually convinces me to settle for something healthier.

I asked my wife to get rid of soda from the house. I found that if soda is available, I drink it. No soda, no problem.

I hope this helps! GOOD LUCK!
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    been saying this alot lately..but it is the truth... "Cut the bull and the excuses and just do it!"

THIS! ^^

"Champions train. Losers complain."
    Cowards never start. The Weak never finish. Winners never quit,

Erica

Awesome inspiration Erica.. thanks! I put this as my status on FB :smile:
  • ParisPenguin
    ParisPenguin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Is tyring to start back up, and needed to read what was on here. Thank you. It reminded me why this site worked for me in the first place.

Cheers.
  • melodylyn73
    melodylyn73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    thanks for inspiring me!
  • EPortJake
    EPortJake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You can only be dedicated to something you truly believe in/want.
  • beckyobsm
    beckyobsm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you for these posts. I needed to read this today. :drinker: