I Need suggestions from women

Options
13»

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've been asked to teach some self defense lessons to a group of women (all adults). I would like to know what women would want to know how to defend themselves against. I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear anything and everything from the women of mfp.

Things I was thinking of:
    - purse snatchings
    - escaping the "mount" (when someone has you pinned down and you're on your back)
    - walking and awareness
    - how to dish out pain quickly & get away
    - show and demonstrate several pain sensitive areas/pressure points
    - how to weaken someone's grip (escape tactic)

Yes, I realize I tee'd up plenty of opportunities for funny comments :), but if the comedians could hold their comments, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm not a woman but I think rather than dishing out pain, focus more on "disabling" them temporarily long enough to escape.

One thing pretty much anyone being attacked (male or female) need to remember the most is the stay calm. So focus alot of staying calm

Looks very good though
    How do you suggest "disabling" someone without dishing out any pain? Ask nicely? Ask him count to 100 while I make my escape or step away and dial 911? :noway:
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    General awareness of surroundings.
    General safety
    grabbed from behind
    include that muggers tend to go for purses, keep your wallet, cash and valuables in your pocket if you can, most muggers don't ask WOMEN for what's in their pockets.

*edit to include*
    oh and how to break out of all the basic grabs and holds. How to block a strike without hurting yourself would be useful, and how to punch something without hurting yourself!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I think these ideas are all fabulous. I am just sad that we have a need to learn this at all. I think being aware of your surroundings at all times is the most important and to try to stay away from areas that are known to be dangerous and always have a buddy with you. Hopefully most of us will never have to deal with defending our life. I try to never put myself into dangerous situations and I am always aware of my surroundings. I know that is the ideal but not always reality especially for those living in bigger more dangerous cities. Stay safe everyone xxxxoooooo
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    How to get loose if a man is choking you or trying to suffocate you
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Carrying your car key carefully in your hand (pointy end through fisted fingers and rounded end of key against palm) so IF the worst happens and anyone grabs you on the way to the car - you have a pointy pain-inflicting weapon at the ready. I was shown this in a self-defense class 20 years ago and I still do it!
  • sheaffie
    sheaffie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A friend was attacked in broad daylight in a crowd and nobody did anything. Crowd mentality goes into effect and everyone thinks someone else will do something. TIP: If people are around, clearly instruct someone to do something -- don't just scream. Yell something to the effect of "You in the blue shirt, dial 911 now!" and repeat and try to make eye contact. It certainly is not a common thing to happen, but I thought that was amazing advice -- even if there is just one person around -- or thin walls in an apartment complex or hotel. Yelling "If you hear me, you must call 911 now" is much more helpful than screaming no words or instructions.
  • dominikaro
    Options
    Everything except the first one. I just don't think that fighting over a purse is worth the risk (of being stubbed, for example).
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've been asked to teach some self defense lessons to a group of women (all adults). I would like to know what women would want to know how to defend themselves against. I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear anything and everything from the women of mfp.

Things I was thinking of:
    - purse snatchings
    - escaping the "mount" (when someone has you pinned down and you're on your back)
    - walking and awareness
    - how to dish out pain quickly & get away
    - show and demonstrate several pain sensitive areas/pressure points
    - how to weaken someone's grip (escape tactic)

Yes, I realize I tee'd up plenty of opportunities for funny comments :), but if the comedians could hold their comments, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I know your being serious. I would just love to be able to kick a guys butt:PROPERLY!....Its unfair how strong they are.
    I agree on needing to loosen grip etc...Also body language..men r so intimidating.Be good not to be able to show fear and respond not react
  • peles_fire
    Options
    You have some good stuff on there, but I would definitely emphasize grappling. Too often women are caught unaware and already in someone's hold by the time they realize they are in danger. It is really helpful to know methods to break holds and be able to get away. LOVE that you are helping to teach women how to defend themselves. Major kudos on that!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Dogs! I'm honestly afraid when a dog runs up to me, I feel helpless.

Hey tell them to go home, all dogs know the go home command, and don't look at them in the yes, and don't try to touch them.
    Don't panic or get too excited because Dog's response to our excitment and stop listening to humans. Hope this helps.

You can certainly try the Home command, but as an owner of two pugs, I can tell you that my dogs would not know what the heck you were talking about. We've never taught them that command and dogs do not instinctively know what the english word Home means. Also, dogs that are taught commands in other languages would be at a loss as well.

A dog off the leash ran up to me once when I was 16 years old, walking my boyfriend's dog. I could tell Butchy felt threatened because he was leashed and the other dog was free, and the other dog was barking and growling and came up so fast all I could think to do was lean down (not the best idea I know) toward the dog and screech a banshee wail that would wake the dead at the absolute top of my lungs. That dog turned tail and ran away so fast... I just stood there with my heart pounding in my ears, grateful that my instincts worked. Not sure that was the best way to handle it, and I'd be interested to hear a dog expert's advice on the matter. I'll put the word out on my FB, as I have trainers (regular and K-9) on my Flist.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    From the National Center on Domestic and Sexual Violence (http://www.ncdsv.org/ )

http://www.ncdsv.org/images/SelfDefenseinfo_LACAAW.pdf (opens pdf)

Since women are more vulnerable to sexual assault, you may be interested in training that is designed specifically for women. Here's what the best women's self-defense training offers:

• Awareness, safety strategies, assertiveness skills and physical self defense techniques.
    • Awareness of specific vulnerabilities and issues of women and girls.
    • Classes taught and designed by women with women's experiences, strength and capabilities in mind.
    • A focus on sexual assault, domestic violence and child abuse prevention.

The Modules

Module 1. Awareness - The foundation of prevention
    • Assault prevention must begin with education. In this module participants learn the latest information and discuss the myths and misconceptions.
    • Participants will learn how to maintain awareness of their daily environment and decrease their potential for being targeted for assault.

Module 2. Assertiveness - The most effective prevention
    • Assertiveness is one of the most effective techniques in avoiding assault.
    • An assertive response may prevent as much as 80% of potential attacks.
    • Participants will practice using assertive body language, eye contact, and verbal confrontation skills.

Modules 3 and 4 focus on developing basic physical self-defense techniques which empower you to disable an assailant and get away.

Module 3: Weapons of the Body/Prime Target Areas
    • Releases - Punches -Strikes

Module 4: Basic Kicks (Front, back, side)
    • Floor Techniques
    • The techniques taught are simple, easy to learn, and can be modified to each individual's ability.

There must be some stats somewhere on typical modes of attack, no?

Cool thing you're doing :)
  • LupaNera
    Options
    For me you should focus on prevention. Keeping the eyes open. With my female student I made a little exercise. Outdoors in a skating park (with lots of obstacles) asked them what rout should choose to go from A to B.
    Then teach them when is better to avoid reacting.
    And for the extreme situations I will do for grabs (front, behind, strangling, for woman is pretty scary). Obviously depends also on the length of the course. And another thing that may be useful is how to properly use a pepper spray, or any at hand possible weapon (keys etc).
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. The class is tonight, and I have added many of your suggestions.

:flowerforyou:
  • karynspeace
    Options
    Escape tactics for frontal assault
    Escape tactics for rear assault
    Escape tactics when knocked to ground
    Escape tactics to get perp off of you if you are on back
    Escape from throat choke hold

Tactics when a knife is held to you
    Tactics when a gun is held on you

Mace, keychain clubs
    Cellphone usage in parking lots
    Vehicle inpection before entering

PLAN ESCAPE ROUTES EVERYWHERE YOU GO.

Cover these, Sarge, and you have covered the basics of any standard women's self defense course.

Encourage women to bring their teenage daughters to a class in high school and again in college.
  • fancyfrenzy
    Options
    maybe also how to use common items in my purse as a weapon (keys, mobile, etc.)