Breakfast ??Yes or No??

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I do better, personally, if I don't eat until at least 11am. I do have coffee though, which is an appetite suppressant. But most days I don't eat breakfast and am just fine. It really doesn't matter. I find that eating breakfast usually makes me hungrier.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry. Listen to your body.
    Also, drink lots of water. If you just ate but then you are still hungry then drink water...sometimes the wires in our brains get crossed and ppl confuse thirst for hunger.

Oh, and I always say yes to breakfast...lol
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. But I definitely don't think its a mandatory meal as long as you are getting all of your calories in during the day.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Breakfast does not jumpstart your metabolism.

Diet induced thermogenesis is based on total calorie intake (and macronutrient composition). It is not frequency or timing based.

If you enjoy breakfast, eat it. If you don't, skip it. It's entirely a matter of personal preference.

See here for a detailed explanation:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency

Agreed ^^^

Not everyone needs to eat breakfast :/

Food is what makes your metabolism work the more often you eat the faster your metabolism gets, So essentially yes breakfast does because it starts the eating for the day earlier and then if you eat small snacks throughout the day it keeps it going.

With all due respect that is totally wrong. Your metabolism hums along just fine. Even when you are sleeping. You are refering to the thermic effect of food or TEF. It is negligible and how often you eat really doesnt matter as long as you eat the same amount during a day. Please see the links that have already been posted proving that timing doesn't matter and stop spreading misinformation.
  • mmapags
    Options
    So many different things. If I ate 300 kcals of the best quality breakfast foods...I would be totally hungry for more. Its like once I awaken my appetite I find it difficult to control it. I do have a skinny cappa..approx 50kcals this is enough. Then once I get to 10-or 11 I will eat something(I get up around 6am)>i do not work out till 4pm. I used to eat porridge or weetabix unsweetened but htis just triggered my appetite..I start wanting more food more or less straight away. If I just have my coffee and wait the rest of the day is ok.I appreciate Everyones input!!. I am glad to find others like me. Whoever suggested the intermittent fasting group thanks. I will join

You and I are similar. The more often I eat, the more I want to eat. I find that larger less frequent meals works best for me as it takes my focus off of food. I sometimes skip breakfast and, contrary to what some have said here, my metabolism is doing just fine, thanks!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the first meal you eat once you wake up. It doesn't matter what time of day it is. Even if the restaurants are serving "lunch," you are still breaking your overnight fast once you eat something each day.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I eat all of my calories at 2:45am
  • georgie181
    Options
    most of the time I eat breakfast, but sometimes I just don't get a chance to fit it in.....am going to start using my blender more and doing smoothies etc for breakfast. is quicker and you can have it on the go.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    hey.
    I find its not hunger really ...am craving. I read something interesting about certain people not needing breakfast.These people seem to have a massive surge of insulin not long after getting up making even the perfect breakfast add to this ,creating the drop.
    Has anyone else read this???

I think I read this. Someone posted it on a forum. I think it tended to be more true for leaner people, as they got closer to goal.

I didn't eat breakfast for years. I could go all the way until 12 or 1pm before eating. But now I eat it every day. And I am hungry now; my body wants it. Breakfast works for me :).
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast almost every day, mostly because I'm always hungry when I first wake up, and I often don't get a chance to eat another meal until after 1:00 or so.

Sometimes on the weekends I won't have breakfast if I know I'll be eating a lot later in the day, or I might have just fruit and milk.

To each his own.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. But I definitely don't think its a mandatory meal as long as you are getting all of your calories in during the day.

Agree, works for me
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry when you wake up, don't eat until you're hungry. Eating breakfast works for some people, but it isn't magic or necessary for everyone.
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If your hungry, eat. If your not, don't. Just make sure that when you do eat, you aren't eating crap. I am a breakfast person but I try to eat it after 8:00 AM - it tends to hold me until lunch that way.
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I would just like to add yesterday I decided o eat breakfast...just to see if the same thing happens.and it did.I snacked all day long. ate terribly. And went over my calorie goal.I only have unsweetened porridge....healthy right??.Nope cos it made me starving hungry.I couldnt then control myself for the rest of the day.so experiment done. back to coffee
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Breakfast is not important, it's about personal preference.
  • nesstle
    Options
    YES - im usally starving when i wake up. 2 eggs and i'm away
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I personally think Breakfast is the most important meal! :)....but then again, I like all my meals, hehe
  • mmapags
    Options
    I would just like to add yesterday I decided o eat breakfast...just to see if the same thing happens.and it did.I snacked all day long. ate terribly. And went over my calorie goal.I only have unsweetened porridge....healthy right??.Nope cos it made me starving hungry.I couldnt then control myself for the rest of the day.so experiment done. back to coffee

Great little self discovery experiment! I am the same way. The earlier and more often I eat, the more I want to eat. If this helps you best comply with your plan, then you know what to do! FTR, I could never be one of those people who eat 5 or 6 times a day and stay on plan. For them, great. For me, impossible!
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Everything I've ever read is "yes" breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Just received a new book and it explains the same theory. Most calories consumed should be early in the day. Good luck.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Everything I've ever read is "yes" breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Just received a new book and it explains the same theory. Most calories consumed should be early in the day. Good luck.
    I'd respectfully suggest that the books all have an agenda or are just repeating the same myths over and over.. There has been numerous studies, some of which are cited on a thread by one of our members sidesteel, that indicated that nutritional timing is irrelevant within a 24 hour period. His thread is worth reading. I'm not finding it but I'm going to message him and see if he can send me the link.

Found it! He had posted it ealier in this thread on the first page. thttp://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency