The NOTORIOUS "cheat"

Options

Replies

• nefbaker
    Options
    I don't like the idea of 'cheating' (unless it is at poker, then its all good until you're caught). If I want a doughnut, then I save the calories for it. If I want nachos, I save the calories for it. One 'cheat' meal - for example my favorite hamburger and french fries at 5 Guys is more than my calorie intake for a day. That ruins all the progress of the week of "not cheating."

What I use for a reward is a $15 iTunes card for every 10 lbs. lost and a $25 one for every half marathon completed.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Every Saturday I have what I call a "High Calorie Metabolism Shock Day". I eat what I want, all day. I still log it though because it's proof you can still lose or maintain with days like this. And I'm talking in the 3,000-4,000 calorie range.

Throughout the week I am not super strict either. I eat the foods I like, in moderation. I cook and/or bake differently, so the food I eat is healthy AND tasty. win/win.
  • Shawneb66
    Options
    I have been "rewarding" myself for the last 15 years...that is how I got to this point in my life. When I reach my ideal weight and get on maintenance, then I will think about adding some rewards back in to my diet! Good luck making a decision on your weight loss!
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm with most everyone else out here - I don't believe in cheats because I'm not dieting. If I want a special treat, I'll have it and I'll work out harder to make it fit. It's a lifestyle change for me. I have a work luncheon coming up at the Olive Garden. I know the better meal options for me there and have a plan for the balance of that day - including munching on fruits/ veggies - then working out a bit extra to squeeze it in and keep it within my calories. I can still enjoy my lunch and not feel guilty. I've also grown up with food being a reward for everything. I finally see that is an issue for me so I choose to reward with other things. Ultimately it comes down to what you are comfortable with. No one can make the decision for you. If you really want to cheat w/ a meal I would suggest once a month at most depending on your exercise and typical eating habits. 3500 cals is a lb - and I could blow that away at a favorite restaurant with an appetizer and entree - but that's how I put myself into this situation anyway. It's personal preference. I personally do not deprive myself of anything - but I keep it within the targets I've set for myself.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I read a motivational piece once which I cant find a link to on the internet any more...

But basically it was quite a hard hitting piece asking why on earth you would reward all your hard work by undoing some or all of it with a "reward" meal...

Your reward is your progress towards your goal, the lower reading on the scale or the tape measure or the faster time on your run , swim or bike ride.

Food is for fuel, not for pleasure... only put in your mouth what your body needs.

That's what Im telling myself lately :)

But food CAN be both for pleasure AND nutrition!!! You just gotta learn all the tricks!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    You're usually only cheating yourself, if that is one huge meal that could add up a days worth of calories (which can get easier if it's fast food, and you get a value menu...then you add a pie or cookie for dessert)

I say, why not just have everything you want in moderation? Who needs a cheat meal when you are already eating stuff you want all week? No need to stuff one "cheat" meal in. And no. I don't even like the word cheat. Use the word splurge and eat all your maintaince calories once a month for that day -- you can eat whatever and you have more allotted calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I also think to call it a "cheat" isn't right. To me, it's only cheating if you don't log it or if you lie about what you eat or log exercise you didn't do. That would be cheating.

So having more calories than you need on a special occasion is really just a reward, like OP said, or a treat, or an indulgence, etc. It's not cheating; it's living life. Eating healthy is supposed to be a lifestyle, and special occasions are part of your life.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Food is for fuel, not for pleasure... only put in your mouth what your body needs.

That's what Im telling myself lately :)

Sorry, but I find that attitude completely boring and NOT a sustainable lifestyle. There is no reason that "fuel for your body" shouldn't be pleasurable. Eating for pleasure is perfectly normal for all humans. It's taking in more "fuel" than you burn than is the problem, not enjoyment.

In fact, tonight, I'm going to Dairy Queen with the family. It's a reward that we have looked forward to for a month, and I will enjoy every last bite. :bigsmile:
  • shquig
    shquig Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's funny because I was reading a couple posts about "cheat day" and was just thinking about this topic. I can only say what's right for me. Personally for me "cheating" is tempting fate and I don't want to fall off the wagon, it's just not worth it to me. Some people may have way better self control than I do in this regard, but I'm not there (when it comes to sweets). I don't make healthier versions of brownies, for example, or eat dessert, per se, just because I have the calories left on any given day. However, I don't feel deprived and I'm finding new recipes that are healthy and delicious.

I try to stay within my nutritional goals each day keeping it fairly clean but I have lots of room for improvement.

I guess whether this works would have to be judged on an individual basis. I don't want to do anything to derail the momentum I've gained. However, if others can get a "cheat" in here or there and control their food intake and not let it control them, then more power to you! For me, I have to stay away from the "cheats" because sweets are like potato chips for me, can't have just one!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I've been slowly modifying my lifestyle for 5 months. At the beginning, it was a struggle to get 5 good days in a row during the week, so the entire weekend was a "cheat weekend". I'm talking big portions, eating all the time to make up for being so good during the week. After obviously not making any progress, I cut it down to just Saturday or Sunday. Now I will usually eat 1 cheat meal (at a wedding, cookout, going out to eat, etc.). I will get what I want, but keep the portions small/reasonable and usually it fits into my calories or goes over a little bit. If I don't feel like I need to do that, I will stick to the usual diet. I never feel the need to totally pig out anymore, but if I ever feel that need I will probably just let myself do it and work out more.

Let me remind you this was a progression over 5 months! I couldn't just flip a switch and never cheat. This progression method helped me, but everyone's different.

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want to.... this is a lifestyle change for me not a diet. I aim to eat healthy and exercise regularly but when I feel like some chocolate or a meal out I'll have it and not feel guilty or consider it a cheat.
    I stay within my calories for the vast majority of the time and its working out very well for me!
    I have dieted many times in the past depriving myself and thus craving all the stuff I wasnt allowed have.
    this time I havent slipped off the wagon once and am consistently losing weight and feeling happy :)

Hope this helps you :)

^^^^^ I concur!
  • countmein88
    Options
    I have "cheat" days all the time, but they aren't scheduled and they aren't rewards for good behavior. I simply eat what I want when I want to. And because I don't put restrictions on stuff, I find myself not craving them as strongly as I would if they were off limits.

I run hard/long/often enough to burn off the occasional treat. When I stopped worrying and restricting myself, my weight started coming off. Eating shouldn't be a stressful, restrictive thing. I enjoy eating and I enjoy running. That's all there is to it.

^^^ I totally agree with this, and I think its a good rule of thumb, we should never label food as good or bad ...just make smarter choices. If you're really craving sweets find an alternative, attempt to incorporate something you enjoy occasionally within your calorie allotments. At the end of the day its all about making a lifestyle change that is totally manageable, not one where you're on the brink of a binge as a result of restricting the foods you desire.

Trust me worst thing to do, there was a time I was craving chocolate on a regular basis, as a solution I've opted for a few hershey kisses once in awhile to settle them loool. In all honesty though go for that "cheat meal" however don't get too crazy and make sure it's slightly within your calorie range and/or your maintenance
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Eating the occasional good big meal = good. (Other people can get into the actual psychological and physiological reasons; I'm just gonna go with "your body needs to know it's not starving.")

Calling it, or making it, a "reward"? I wouldn't. Food as reward is a big problem for a lot of people - I'm definitely one of them. If you start making it the thing that you get when you do something good, you start using it as the thing that makes you feel good, and we all know where that ends up.

I don't think of it as a "cheat", either, and I agree with you about the problems there. Just hey, sometimes that thing is worth eating, so I'm gonna eat it. Doesn't have a moral value attached to it, other than enjoyment - and the knowledge that everything else has to even out later to fit it in to the overall plan.

Yup!
  • shquig
    shquig Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had one more thought....I keep seeing the word "treat" in conjunction with "cheat". Just some food for thought (no pun intended), is it really a treat if it makes reaching your goal harder? Is it a treat if it's not good for your body? Personally, the sooner I reach my goal, the better. I was so sick of thinking "if only I had started three months ago look where I'd be today" with my dieting. So if one cheat day makes this process 1/7th slower for me then I'm not interested. I'm not passing judgment, I think everyone should do what's best for them and what you find works..

For me, I'm trying to adopt a new healthy lifestyle and not to say nutrition has to equal perfection because I like junk just like most everyone else, I just choose to stay away. Abstaining from my weaknesses in this regard seems to work best for me. I'm not a huge eater, and really never have been an overeater but I sure can make some heinous choices (cake, brownies, anything chocolate), lol. Happy Friday, everyone.
  • SophieC19
    SophieC19 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I always have a meal on saturday evenings with the other half, usually pizza or something. Been doing this since I began loosing weight and I'm still loosing :) I don't see anything wrong with it aslong as your putting the work in during the rest of the week. :)
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cheats.

If you want some chips, find a healthier chip (baked?) take a smaller than recommended serving size, then fit it into your calorie budget. If you want a cake, bake one with as many healthy substitutes as you can find and then eat a smaller than usual piece. By not removing all the "good stuff" from your menu, you wind up not craving it as much in the long run. Moderating what you eat works out so much better than having a "cheat" anything.

And if there is a day where you just want to let your hair down and load up on Cheese Fondue and French Baguettes and broccoli florets then go for it! Just remember that you will be working it back off for the next week. Much like I did =\ WORTH EVERY BLOODY CALORIE.

But to do so weekly? nah, I'd rather see the numbers stay at a steady decline, and not spike back up after the "cheat" moment.

Edited to add: For the records, Sunday night is pizza night. Every week. Hasn't hurt my weight loss at all :) Course I have a big salad with it, and only have 2 pieces of pizza (used to have 4.lol)
  • jmllmj
    Options
    I allow myself one epic cheat a week. This week it was a steakburger, fries, and a shake from Steak and Shake. Sometimes it's just a big bowl of frozen yogurt with all the chocolate toppings in the world. Enjoy yourself once a week and it won't murder your results.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Cheating is cheating.

Look, if this is really lifestyle change, then we are going to have holidays, dinners out for special occasions, unexpected meals or a potluck at church. Why not just let those roll with life instead of making food a reward for not eating food?

The truth is very few people ever manage to take off weight and keep it off for 5 years. It's better to have good habits, and roll with the nuances of life, than plan to be bad and try to absorb the tough days.

How about if you are on target for say 10 days, you buy yourself a couple of new tunes, or save up for a slimmer pair of jeans?
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i dont have a reward meal...i have a reward coffee...which is every Friday, and its at Caribou, I have a small White Chocolate Mocha which is 420 calories! but i enter that in first thing in the morning so i know i wont go over my calories.
  • cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Right now, I consistently come in about 500-600 calories below my daily goal (while still sometimes eating things that I really really want - last night I had an apple pie at McDonald's while running errands because it just sounded GOOD and I still ended my day under 1,500 calories), which gives me a pretty great deficit for the weekend. I could eat almost 3,500 calories both days and still be within my calorie deficit for the week.

So my weekend isn't a cheat or a reward, it's "I've been great all week and I've given myself wiggle room that I don't have to log every bite of food that goes into my mouth." I'm way more likely to eat out on the weekends and to not really know what my plans are until they happen (a huge part of my ability to stay within my calorie goal is planning every single day's food, even snacks, the day before), so this just works out better for me. I'm not going to be a slave to calorie counting, especially not if it interferes with my relationships and social life. I'm going to a birthday party tomorrow night where I will probably drink a bottle of wine by myself. And I'm not going to worry about it. :)