A latte a day?????

Options
Im looking for both sides of the coin on this one.......... and I know thats exactly what I'll get. I've done minimal research, but know both people who swear that "coffee" is good, and those who would dissagree. I do know theres a difference between "coffee" and a "latte", but my question is this................

Has anyone become addicted to the caffiene and/or had other issues with regular consumption? Also, do you feel like the more you drink, the more you need?

Anyone swear by it? Why?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee everyday.. I am still alive :)
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Personally I drink one cup of coffee a day for breakfast. It keeps me from getting a daily headache. Maybe its all in my head but I've been doing it for years. If I skip my one cup of coffee I usually end up with a headache. But that's just me.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Previously I would have told you that I had a latte addiction. However since I quit sugar I can now simply drink coffee with steamed milk for pleasure, I don't need it, I neither think it's good for me nor bad, it's just a warm drink with not many calories that I enjoy. It's funny how many things I thought I was addicted to, but actually it was just the sugar I wanted.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Personally I drink one cup of coffee a day for breakfast. It keeps me from getting a daily headache. Maybe its all in my head but I've been doing it for years. If I skip my one cup of coffee I usually end up with a headache. But that's just me.

The coffee causes the headache. Not having the coffee means caffeine withdrawal. If you gave it up for more than a few days the headache would go.

I don't smoke, coffee is my vice, I'm not giving it up!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay in your calorie/macro goals go for it!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have 2-3 coffees a day. I have lattes almost never. I just don't like frothy milk in my coffee. If the milk fits in your macros, then there is no issue. As far as the caffeine, everybody reacts differently. My father can drink coffee and go straight to bed afterwards.
  • siggakolla
    siggakolla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee "drinks" so Mocha and stuff like that. and only once in a while if im going out to see a friend or something.
    i had a few days at my old job where i was really tired all the time and i thought i should have some coffee to try to wake me up, after my 6th trip to the toilet to pee i figured out that coffee wasnt the drink for me!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Has anyone become addicted to the caffiene and/or had other issues with regular consumption? Also, do you feel like the more you drink, the more you need?

Anyone swear by it? Why?

I used to drink a ton of coffee and didn't have a constipation problem. Although now that I think about it, I used to have the opposite problem...

I quit because yes, the more I drank the more I needed. In fact, I was drinking more and more (by putting more scoops of grounds in each cup) and it was not perking me up anymore.

When I quit, I had the withdrawal headache, more like a migrane. Just one, though, and tylenol killed it. Then I pretty much slept for a week and I'm recovered.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of coffee - so I'll even drink decaf if needed.

I thought I was "addicted" but I managed to go through 2 pregnancies without any coffee and had 0 issues.

I'm sure if affects everyone differently, but for me it didn't seem to be an issue to not drink it when I couldn't have it.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I love a good cup of coffee or latte or espresso but sometimes it does not love me back. It sometimes just doesn't sit well in my stomach. I've been drinking green tea this week for that reason. Its not the same. :(
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every day. But I have to keep it simple; coffee or iced coffee with a splash of milk, no sugar. A latte every day would add up too many calories for me. A latte should really be a treat, not a daily staple. Regardless, the only issue with the caffeine I've had is a brief (2-3 week) period of anxiety, specifically at night. I had to cut out all caffeine, I recovered from it, now I'm back to drinking only ONE cup of coffee a day without symptoms (yet). If they do come back, I'll have to cut the caffeine consumption again.

But yeah in terms of calories, I just don't go for high-calorie coffee drinks.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Oh and try decaf, it's a nice calorie-free drink (okay like 4 calories). Still a tiny bit of caffeine but not a big deal.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I think an addiction to anything is not a good thing. If not having something or not doing something affects your mood and how your treat others (in a bad way), well I just don't think that's good.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with having coffee. I have a cup every morning and have no intention of giving it up. If you think you use too much sugar or cream maybe you can cut back, but eating healthy shouldn't be so legalistic. But that's just me.

I do love lattes...ummm.
  • soleilxo
    Options
    mmmmm lattee <3 i have lattes and cappuccino's all the time and I never not let myself have one (IF only my calories are too high), because the milk gives you calcium so good for your bones:) soo i dont care:) and a bit of caffeine or a coffee a day has been proved to have health/psychological benefits:) in my opinion, more people should either 1.have some sort of caffeine or, 2. drink more because it makes them nicer :D lollll
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I drink a medium coffee from dunkin donuts 5 days a week, and 1 cup at home on the weekends. I know if I don't have it I get headaches, and eventually they would go away if I stopped drinking it completely, but I like it. It's just my morning ritual.
  • AbacoRaveness
    Options
    I can take it or leave it. Most days I have one of those big travel mugs of coffee. It's regular, fully loaded coffee, with Splenda, and some creamer. On the days that I don't have it, I don't miss it, but it makes me happy so I don't pass it up often.

The lattes that you get at say... Starbucks... can have a really high sugar/calorie content. If you go with the "skinny" version (low fat milk, low sugar syrups etc.) then its no big deal. They have a skinny vanilla latte that is delish and only 90 calories in a tall.

Both the sugar and the caffeine can be addictive, but everything in moderation right?
  • jillleanne
    jillleanne Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My first two years of University I was drinking at LEAST 3-4 cups a day. Usually just black coffee, once in a while I'd splurge on something fancy (like a latte). But every summer, once school wound down I went through withdrawal. Migraines everyday, and just general fatigue and weakness. But come September I was back at it haha.

I can't drink coffee anymore (had a weird heart arrhythmia develop, whick gets exaggerated with even the smallest amount of coffee), so I've switched to green and black tea. I wouldn't say there's any health risk to drinking coffee, unless its in excess (as I was likely drinking), and honestly as far as I'm aware there hasn't been any valid research to prove that there is a health risk to drinking it on occasion.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I regularly enjoy coffee and lattes - for their deliciousness, some caffeine, and a little dairy (protein from the milk is not bad). I drink about one each day during the week.

Everything in moderation. If I have 2 coffees in one day - it's too much - I am a little to jazzed up and sometimes have trouble sleeping (I also tend toward Starbucks which is very high octane caffeine wise).
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Im looking for both sides of the coin on this one.......... and I know thats exactly what I'll get. I've done minimal research, but know both people who swear that "coffee" is good, and those who would dissagree. I do know theres a difference between "coffee" and a "latte", but my question is this................

Anyone swear by it? Why?

There's good, peer-reviewed evidence that a cup of coffee a day is good for the cardiovascular system--better than no coffee. And caffeine is addictive. Lots of things are addictive. Living indoors is meets the definition (that withdrawal causes distress) and a LOT of us are addicted to that. Indoor plumbing. Addiction is only a problem when it interferes with your quality of life. If a cup of coffee a day keeps you happy, have one. It's the stuff you add to the coffee that causes problems like weight, not a moderate coffee intake.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I LOVE coffee. I could drink coffee all the time if it wasn't for... you know... having to sleep at night and silly things like that. I like coffee with milk, lattes, espresso, americano's. I just try really hard to limit the sugar in them. Coffee is good for you, no doubt. Drink up! Just watch your caloriesa and try to stop by like 2 in the afternoon lol.