Went to Subway for lunch and Jarod would NOT be proud!

Options
A friend of mine who is a wellness coach introduced this site to me last week so I could track my food easier. The site is awesome and has lots of great tools to use but when I got back from lunch and plugged in what I ate at Subway today I was shocked at how many calories I ate! (Not so sure I like the food logging part of the site anymore?) Seriously though, it was quite an eye opener and might explain why I struggle to lose weight consistently and keep it off.

My tally for lunch? Almost 1,500 calories and I drank water! I had a foot long Italian BMT w/cheese and the knockout blow was the 3 rasp. cheesecake cookies. I swear I had no idea they were that high in calories.

Well, I guess at least I learned something about eating out......o cookies next time!

Replies

• Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    no cookies, no cheese....little or no dressing...............
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    or a less high sub and 1 cookie. It takes awhile to learn the balance that's for sure. Good luck :)
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Its the Mayo that gets me, oh and remembering that a 6" is usually fine for lunch, that helps
  • nancyki
    Options
    Might as well take away the bread, while you are at it!
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    That's why I love this site so much. When you log it you learn from it. I've made small changes that mean a lot. I love my turkey sub just the same without the cheese, and mustard is just as good as mayo.
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    no cookies, no cheese....little or no dressing...............

I second this, no mayo or special sauces and salad dressings should be low fat. I do eat cheese but I eat it in moderation.

I always check the menus before I go out to lunch that way I know what to expect and I know what will fit into my daily calorie limit and what foods to avoid.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Subway isn't really "healthy" persay, you can pack on all kinds of cals at Subway.

People just buy the hype that it is.

It is very tasty, but it is no better or worse than any other fast food imo.

Except if you don't like grease, like myself, then Subway becomes one of your few options.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the veggie delite a 12 inch of that no dressing just salt vinegar and pepper with a diet coke, 580 calories! for a foot long. I divided it in half and eat half for breakfast and half for lunch. Don't believe me lol go look at todays food log! LOL

Tanya
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Try 6 inch. I get the veggie delight with avocado and cheese and it's like 370 calories.

I don't have a sweet tooth, so cookies are never an issue for me, but maybe try the Snapz Apple Crisps (they have them at Subway here).
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    People just assume Subway is low cal because they say 6g of fat or less on everything!
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You can go on Subways site and see ahead of time how to adjust your sub. I thought I would die without putting cheese on a sub but I put so many darn veggies on now, I don't notice the difference. I could have never imagined ordering a veggie sub and wondered who would go to Subway and order that. Now I do, with avacodo replacing the meat calories. Yummm. That is what I love about this site though. It really brings to light what we're really eating. It scares me to think how many calories I was eating before the lifestyle change and what they would look like on here! Good luck!
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I get a 6 inch or salad and stick with the turkey and ham. Today I was 'bad' and got the BMT...it was SO good! I haven't had one in months. Also, if I'm not sure about food, I will look it up first and then decide if I REALLY want whatever it is. I've ordered and paid for food just to give it away because the calorie count wasn't worth it.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Im still learning also to make healthier decisions for myself. Life long process.
  • Tracepa98
    Options
    Try using this site before you go to Subway. it works great and you can pre-plan what you want to get before you get there. It doesnt have the cookies or chips info on it, just the subs and salads.

http://www.nutritionix.com/subway/nutrition-calculator
  • JLand918
    Options
    I used to find Subway great and tasty now it is so big and commercialized its just poor taste,poor quality portions are all skimmed down etc, I go to Port o Subs, Jimmy Johns instead.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    In what way does THREE cookies sound ok? LOL

If I'm going out, I always look at the website ahead of time!
  • yogamama30
    yogamama30 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It really is shocking how many calories one can consume while thinking that they're not doing that bad!! That's why I love tracking my calories! Ignorance is definitely not bliss when it comes to knowing what you're eating...unless you don't want to lose weight! lol

I wouldn't worry about it too much though...it's already been done...you can't un-eat your food...so just keep calm and carry on...just be healthy about it :) Good luck!!
  • PiggySweet
    PiggySweet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i eat cookies and subway all the time. I just make sure it fits into my day. being vegan, though, a hoagie at subway looks like a 6 inch veggie delight with spinach, onions, cucumber, sweet peppers, and olives. that's usually not enough to fill me (or keep me interested) so i usually eat it with a cup of tomato soup (my favorite) which adds an extra 90 cals. also, i make my own cookies (they taste better and i know what's in them)
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I had a 6 inch Sweet Onion Teriyaki Chicken flat bread with provolone, spinach, lettuce, banana peppers & sweet onion sauce yesterday for 410 calories. :smile:
  • ErB56
    ErB56 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    But that is the beauty of logging your food! The biggest part of the process is the education. I think all of us did the same thing at one time or another. I used to go to Frisch's for a Big Boy, onion rings and a chocolate shake. An entire day's worth of calories in one sitting!

Now the next challenge (which I typically fail at) is to look up the food *before* you go out to eat!