Went to Subway for lunch and Jarod would NOT be proud!

Options

Replies

• lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    no cheese, no dressing or mayo. Stick to healthy or lean meats.. Have them ' shell out" the bread and 6' is all that is needed. Cookies are always high in calories at fast food places- always
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    There is a learning curve associated with eating healthier. It does get easier with time..as does estimating calories while eating out.

I rarely go out to lunch anymore..just cause I could blow my whole day. But next friday..its a co-workers last day....and Yes..I will eat what I want..but will load up on salad and water...
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    subway also has a calculator on their site that you can calculate your own meal so you know what you are getting before you go thats what i always do...just go to subway.com and go to the menu...then once you pick what you want click "calculate mine" and "order" what you usually do and see how many calories it is...i stick to the fresh fit menu :) i never get a foot long...cause i'd never be able to eat the whole thing!!!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I love people.. no cookies, no cheese, no dressing, no bread...

This guy ate subway sandwiches damn near every day and lost over 80lbs. Footlongs, with cheese, and dressing.

Eat what you want so long as you meet your calorie requirements. There is no reason to cut out entire groups of foods if you don't have a special condition.
  • Erica_G2012
    Options
    I remember one time, I had this cookie... it was an ok cookie, a big ole oatmeal cookie, out of curiosity I looked it up, it had like a bazillion calories, at least 500 or 600... for a cookie. *gasp* Awareness is very helpful, I do have to say :)
  • ozzy300800
    Options
    Been on the site for about 2 weeks and i know what your saying. Ate out with the family at Applebees and the steak was great. , only about 500 cal. with everything. Only problem was the spinach and artichoke dip had over 1000. This site has help me control those extra calories
  • emmagallo
    Options
    Subway isn't really "healthy" persay, you can pack on all kinds of cals at Subway.

People just buy the hype that it is.

It is very tasty, but it is no better or worse than any other fast food imo.

Except if you don't like grease, like myself, then Subway becomes one of your few options.

^^^This! Just because you had lunch at Subway doesn't necessarily mean its healthy! Go with a 6 inch veggie delite with no cheese, no mayo, no dressing and NO cookie. And if you're feeling a little crazy that day add some avocado :bigsmile:
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd rather get the BBQ chicken sandwich from KFC than a 6" Subway sandwich... 320 calories for the BBQ Chicken and for me it FEELS more like I'm cheating than Subway would so somehow that makes it more appealing. :tongue:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    best tip anyone ever gave me on MFP, never eat anything before it is Logged.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think that the vast majority of people grossly underestimate how many calories they actually consume in a given day. That's the beauty of tracking! Once you figure out what you're doing wrong, it's WAY easier to fix it. I used to have an "afternoon snack" when I was an undergrad that consisted of a cinnamon roll and a caramel latte from the coffee shop on campus. Little did I know that my "snack" was setting me back almost 1200 calories!! Once I knew that, I suddenly understood how I had packed on 40 lbs in a year.
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love Subway, and if I'm gonna have it I have everything I want on it! Cheese, mayo...I don't see the point if you take away all the tasty stuff lol. As long as it fits into your day.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    no cookies, no cheese....little or no dressing...............

yup and make it a 6 inch
  • SocWkrBee
    Options

Says....you. One can have cheese and a once-in-a-while treat, if they want. IMO, it's about eating a majority of healthy whole foods and then fitting in the treats.
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    6" Italian hearty bread with turkey and ham with all the veggies and no dressing. No cookie. 280 cals. BOOM!!!!!!

It's a learning curve - we've all been there :blushing:
  • tx5512
    Options
    I usually get a Black Forest Ham footlong (they're usually $5+tax). I usually have it on wheat, sometimes without cheese, and usually without mayo, and usually add a few pickles. An entire footlong is approximately 790 calories but if you split it in two, you'll have 395 calorie portions for lunch and later for dinner.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I love people.. no cookies, no cheese, no dressing, no bread...

This guy ate subway sandwiches damn near every day and lost over 80lbs. Footlongs, with cheese, and dressing.

Eat what you want so long as you meet your calorie requirements. There is no reason to cut out entire groups of foods if you don't have a special condition.

THIS.

I have 6" wheat bread, veggie patty, cheese, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, peppers, sweetcorn if they have it, ketchup and lite mayo. That's about 400 calories. I don't think I could ever manage a 12" AND cookies! Either have the 6" and cookies, or the 12". OR just have both and then workout like crazy.
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    I finally stopped buying the footlong and going with the 6". I've also given up on having cheese and mayo. So my typical sandwich is only 350 calories.
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the shock and awe of portion control :(

Now that you know better, do better :)
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    People saying 'no cheese, no dressing, no cookie and only a 6"' must be on a 1200 *diet*, and not a healthy lifestyle...

Jus' sayin'.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Says....you. One can have cheese and a once-in-a-while treat, if they want. IMO, it's about eating a majority of healthy whole foods and then fitting in the treats.

I eat cheese all the time. I would not want to live without cheese. :laugh: