Canned tuna - what do I do with it?

Options
2»

Replies

• persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I make like an arrabiata with mine, chopped tomatos chilli some herbs (whatever I have fresh usually basil though if your tuna is in dill alreday don't bother with herbs) some mushrooms and whatever pasta you fancy, just make the sauce and flake in the tuna near the end, drain your pasta and put it in the same pan so the pasta soaks up the sauce (do this for any pasta dish it'show the Italians do it) and voila.
  • jc1229
    jc1229 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas! I mix my tuna with salsa.
  • SarrySunshine80
    Options
    tuna and olive pasta sauce! Yummm

lightly fry (with spray oil) some chopped onion and sliced olive until the onions are soft. Add the tuna and flake up with the onions. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes and seasoning & herbs. Serve with pasta and grate some cheese on top if you wish

Easy peasy - super quick - super filling and super healthy!!
  • mela216r
    Options
    I like the standard tuna salad with celery, onions, and a little mayo...sometimes dill...but I tried adding chopped water chestnuts and it was really good! A little bit of crunch. Oh..use plenty of black pepper too.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I dislike mayo, I mix mine with two tablespoons of hot salsa, and put it on ritz crackers, sometimes with a bit of cheese.
  • tonightokayalright
    Options
    I dislike mayo, I mix mine with two tablespoons of hot salsa, and put it on ritz crackers, sometimes with a bit of cheese.

This sounds good too! I love salsa!

(I don't eat mayo, I replace it with greek yogurt. I also rarely eat pasta, only if I go to the specialty store and buy organic kamut fusili, which I really like, which makes a lot of these recipes difficult for me :P)
  • rosekittie
    rosekittie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I got my husband hooked on tuna, light mayo, garlic powder, chopped pecans with or without spinach in a tortilla with hot sauce. He makes it every day (mainly because that's all he can make lol)
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I make tuna salad with it usually..or just eat it plain. I get the kind in water. I hate it in oil that crap is nasty...

But I usually use 2 cans of tuna then 2 tbs of mayo, and a 3-4 inch piece of celery, chop it up, mix it in with a little bit of salt and pepper. Sometimes I add sunflower seeds and some dried cranberry if I'm feeling funky. Serves 4 probably.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I add the following to tuna; hard boiled egg, light or regular mayo, mt. olive sweet pickles with splenda and put on low calorie bread. :smile:
  • KCRunnerSteve
    KCRunnerSteve Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This if off topic, but yesterday I bought two big sashimi grade tuna steaks. Can't do that all the time because they cost over $30, not unlike buying high grade beef steaks. Anyhow, last night I seared one steak, and today I grilled the other. They were totally awesome and my girls loved them. We'll be eating more tuna steaks in the future. I'm on a heart healthy diet. That doesn't really help with your canned tuna, does it?
  • tonightokayalright
    Options
    This if off topic, but yesterday I bought two big sashimi grade tuna steaks. Can't do that all the time because they cost over $30, not unlike buying high grade beef steaks. Anyhow, last night I seared one steak, and today I grilled the other. They were totally awesome and my girls loved them. We'll be eating more tuna steaks in the future. I'm on a heart healthy diet. That doesn't really help with your canned tuna, does it?

Up to this point the only way I've eaten and liked tuna is as sashimi or a rare steak... So really, you're on point, just not applicable to my current dilemma :P
  • nis75p06
    Options
    I suppose you could make tuna salad with high-grade tuna. But it would be criminal.

I've found that any time I'm going to be actually cooking the canned tuna, the tuna packed in oil does better. Canned tuna is already cooked twice as part of the packing process (once before canning to help strip the meat from the bones and once as part of the canning process). If I'm just mixing with mayo and spices for salad/sandwich, water packed is fine. If I'm cooking (tuna casserole, etc) I get tastier dishes using oil packed tuna.