UK clothing shops

Options
Hi Everyone

So was just wondering lets have a discussion about which shop sizes reflect true sizing in the UK

I am a big fan of Monsoon but their sizes are very strange. I can fit into size 12-14 stuff in there but I am wayy bigger.

What is your favourite shop or worst shop?

I can't wait to reach my goal weight and walk into a skinny minnie shop and buy jeans that fit and slinky dresses! ONE DAY!!! :-D

Replies

• Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    George size 14 jeans a bit big although 12's too small. M&S size 14 cut me in half...... There's never any consistency!
  • Sandiraa
    Sandiraa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am a different size in every shop I go to!! I love h&m but their sizes come up really small sometimes which is very disheartening!
    I also really like forever21 (they have shops in London and an online store) but some of their sizes are skinny minnie, but they do also have a plus size section which is nice.
    I also like to order from asos, but with lots of different brand on the site it's quite hit and miss so I end up returning stuff! Primark is really hit and miss too but I am usually a 12 in there, I don't know why all the shops are so different!
    Generally I can fit in a medium or a size 12 to 14 in most shops. I have a size 10 pair of forever 21 jeans hanging on the front of my wardrobe. I call them my inspiration jeans as I want to get in the one day!! Lol.
  • Vicks1978
    Vicks1978 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    oh yes H&M !! they are the WORST

i love their stuff. i am a size 16 pretty much. I cant even shop in there anymore which is so depressing as they have some really nice stuff.

when i was a size 14ish I was buying size 18's in H&M - rubbish!

do ASOS do size 16-18??

i want nice things and to look my age, not feel like a frump, maybe I should wait until i lose more weight, hard though as its turning cold and I really need some new things

and isnt it always the same you find a pair of something you like and youre always in between sizes!! UGH!! hehe
  • Vicks1978
    Vicks1978 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    good idea on having your old jeans out sandira

i think we all have an old pair of jeans we dont want to part with. my faves are an old pair from primark, when primark did nice stuff! they are a slim size 14, oh to get back into them again would be amazeballs !!
  • Sandiraa
    Sandiraa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yeah they do a range called asos curve, not too expensive and has some really nice stuff!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm a medium to XL, sometimes in the same shop. It all seems a bit pointless really.

I can have a really loose pair of trousers in one size, but a size bigger (in the same shop) won't do up.
  • Mexie1
    Mexie1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    H&M are terrible! I'm a comfortable 12 now, but a lot of their size 16 shorts are too small for me. I tried on some trousers recently - a 14 were massive and baggy, wouldn't stay up; a 12 were so small I couldn't get them past my thighs.

I don't trust the sizing in any shops really, if I like something I'll try on the one that looks like it will fit, plus a size either side. Department stores seem the worst for vanity sizing.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Ladies i refer you to the link below.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/feb/14/highstreet-clothes-size-chart

Follow it to the app
    http://sizes.darkgreener.com/

And you can put in. Your measurements and see what size you are on different shops.
    :drinker:
  • LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I find that next is true to size and have loads of their stuff! cant get into topshop trousers/jeans in my size and i will not get the next size up. Primark stuff is small but i dont buy much stuff there!
  • asos i one of the worst for sizing and h and m jeans are really small but per una jeans and topshop jeans are amazing and for shoes new look is great :)
  • haylz247
    Options
    new look is so bad for bottoms for me. they are always too big round my hips and too baggy on the bum and vice versa. i needed some cheap black trousers so went to matalan. i am a 12-14 but i had to buy a 16, yes 16. i was so disgusted. they really need to get their sizes right. h&m are also weird. i went to try on a pair of shorts a few weeks ago. neither a 12 or 14 fitted. so confused!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Sizes are different in every store, in every country. Not just the UK.

I usually just look for my size and then take a size up and a size down with me into the fitting booth.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    My favourite shops for true to size clothing is Next, Matalan and Dorothy Perkins, I can wear size 10 no problem.

Peacocks are too big, I wear an 8 from them and I am not an 8. I have a size 8 pair of jeans and they literally fall off me! No good!

New Look, Topshop, Internacionale, Miss Selfridge, Primark etc. I generally go a size or two up because they are tiny clothes. But if you think of their main target market it's not unrealistic to them and they still make lots of money!

I've just learnt I need to try everything on before I buy it! It makes shopping longer but it's less painful that taking a size home that doesn't fit! :P
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    New look seems to be the best for me x
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Primark sizing is ridiculous I have a pair of size 18 trousers which fall off me, and two pairs of shorts (both the same just different colours) one pair I can barely do up the other pair are baggy...both are an 18. Oh and I have a size 14 cardigan which is too big.

George at Asda - the trousers seem to sit really high and are always too tight around my legs but massive in the waist

Can't think of anywhere else at the moment...I haven't been clothes shopping for a while!
  • aimibean
    Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/feb/14/highstreet-clothes-size-chart

Follow it to the app

And you can put in. Your measurements and see what size you are on different shops.

I love this!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    According to most of the shops' size guides I'm a 12, but I have everything from a 12 to an 8 in my wardrobe currently. It's ridiculous. I know I'm a 12, and yet half of my clothes are too big. Waste of money. I wish brands and shops would at least stay consistent, I look at two tops from one brand and they're the same size label and yet completely different. It's maddening.
    People blame vanity sizing, but if it was vanity sizing it'd be consistent, no?

I buy most of my clothes in store now - I have to. I need to take two or three sizes to try. I'm an agoraphobe as well so it's very annoying!
  • Biffa92
    Biffa92 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Follow it to the app

This is great, I love it.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    According to that guideline I am a 12 or a 14, which is about right.

I like Oasis, and my size 16 jeans from there are falling down on me so I have a belt! I've got a couple of French Connection size 14 linen dresses which fit me nicely. My Dorothy Perkins vest tops are all size 12. I tried on a size 12 Miss Selfridge skirt and it fit!

My goal trousers are all size 12, which I used to be. My US size 8 Abercrombie and Fitch trousers do up easily but are just that bit tight, whereas I can't quite do up my French Connection size 12 trousers yet.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    In the past, I found it would depend if the shop was geared more towards teens or adults. For instance, Top Shop sizes used to be quite a bit smaller than Monsoon sizes. It's probably changed now - I tend not to shop in those shops nowadays.

One change I've noticed is that 'petite' clothes now seem to fit me, even though I'm 5'5". They used to always be too small - and they're not supposed to fit someone my height! Sizes in general seem to be bigger than they used to be.