UK clothing shops

Options

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Ladies i refer you to the link below.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/feb/14/highstreet-clothes-size-chart

Follow it to the app
    http://sizes.darkgreener.com/

And you can put in. Your measurements and see what size you are on different shops.
    :drinker:

That's what I need, thanks!

I blame differing sizes on making me fat - I thought it was poor cutting was making me need a 16, then stopping the 16 from fitting:embarassed:

I'm now fitting into most of my older M&S 14s, my Next size 16 blouses, my Boden 16 tops and dresses and 14 skirts........

And why do M&S tousers so often gape at the back? And why do things which fit at the waist come up too tight across the stomach/hips?:grumble: :noway:

Dotty P tends to be more generous - I have a size 12 dress (from when I was 14) I'm waiting to get back into
  • elsbbels
    elsbbels Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/feb/14/highstreet-clothes-size-chart

Follow it to the app

And you can put in. Your measurements and see what size you are on different shops.

according to this app I'm a size 12 in a few shops, SAY WHAT! that's fantastic :happy:
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Dosant m n s do a sizeing for jeans like thw fo with bras? On thw internet it says what size shops are and my measurments fit a uk size 10 but i can onky fit into size 14 clothes hahhaa
  • padackllins
    padackllins Posts: 36
    Options
    i think new look has pretty good sizing. i'm a 10-12 in there which keeps me happy. asda i'm a 12 mostly, sometimes they run a bit small though. where-as places like h&m, river island & all those kinds of stores, they run tiny. i hate it.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry but I disagree with the people saying that "H&M are the worst". No. They just haven't vanity sized as much as the rest and stick pretty true to the official size charts.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry but I disagree with the people saying that "H&M are the worst". No. They just haven't vanity sized as much as the rest and stick pretty true to the official size charts.

I have to agree. I find H&M fine but places like Dorothy Perkins, Debenhams, New Look, Littlewoods, Primark, Monsoon are a lot bigger than they should be. Take a measuring tape with you, that always helps me. I don't get bigger or smaller really but the variation in sizes makes my head spin. And if you think the high street is bad try designer. They're sized so much smaller! *head explodes*
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm all about Next and Dorothy Perkins for my in between clothes. Dorothy Perkins 2 for £25 on jeans have been my friends from size 14 to size 10 at the moment, with some 8's waiting in the wing.

When I get to my goal, I'll have fun attempting Primark, Topshop, and River Island.

I do have a size 8 topshop duffel coat that fit me when I was a size 16????!!!!!!!

Sometimes the trend for baggy clothing works in one's favour!

do the dorothy perkins jeans fit well? i remember not having much luck with them in the past but this was years ago lol. i might need to revisit them.

They fit me well - so it might depend on body shape. Also, the more my body changes the more they might stop fitting me! But for now, they are my friend.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I hate the way that clothes sizes have increased, and that there doesn't seem to be any sort of standard measurement for any sizes anymore. I'm a size six in New Look and Next, which is ridiculous because i definitely am not a size six. Even Primarks sizes have got bigger, and they used to be TINY!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm all about Next and Dorothy Perkins for my in between clothes. Dorothy Perkins 2 for £25 on jeans have been my friends from size 14 to size 10 at the moment, with some 8's waiting in the wing.

When I get to my goal, I'll have fun attempting Primark, Topshop, and River Island.

I do have a size 8 topshop duffel coat that fit me when I was a size 16????!!!!!!!

Sometimes the trend for baggy clothing works in one's favour!

do the dorothy perkins jeans fit well? i remember not having much luck with them in the past but this was years ago lol. i might need to revisit them.

They fit me well - so it might depend on body shape. Also, the more my body changes the more they might stop fitting me! But for now, they are my friend.

I will definitely go and check them out next weekend. Perhaps on bank holiday monday.
  • ackeebee
    Options

Follow it to the app

This app is very interesting and helpful. It's funny how mine ranges from 8 - 14 depending on the shop and the item of clothing. According to the results I am 8 and 10 in tops, mostly 12 in skirts (with one or two 10 and 14's thrown in), mostly 12 in dresses (with a few 10's).

I have never bought anything bigger than a size 12 in my life and even now at my highest weight I sometimes find size 12 too big.
  • whizzlers
    whizzlers Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem with H&M, but I agree that Next is always true to size and so is M&S. xx
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't know which stores are true to size but I love H&M (seems I'm the only one?) and Hollister. Before getting pregnant, I had the opposite problem of finding clothes small enough to fit me being a UK size 4. I wasn't always but had lost 93lbs so didn't know where to shop. I do know that primark runs big, at least a size bigger than most stores. So their 6 was more like an 8/10. It doesn't really matter what size the clothing says it is, as long as it fits and looks good. Vanity sizing is prevalent everywhere so it really doesn't matter :)

Edited for typos
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I find that next is true to size and have loads of their stuff! cant get into topshop trousers/jeans in my size and i will not get the next size up. Primark stuff is small but i dont buy much stuff there!

i really like next, though i think there sizes are quite large! not that that is a bad thing!

river island are very small, not that i shop there that often any more! and i just cant buy dresses from dorothy perkins, my waist is never where it is on the dress!
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    UGH, hate this subject

Next = 12
    Dorothy Perkins = 12
    Monsoon = 14
    Zara = 14
    Mango = 14
    H&M = 16 in some, 8 in others (is that 'fashion'?)
    New Look = 12 or 14
    Debenhams = 14
    Long Tall Sally = 10/Small
    TopShop & Miss Selfridge = I can't stop laughing to give you a straight answer
    Wallis = 12 in tops and trousers, 14 in jeans (WTF?)
  • ackeebee
    Options
    I have never had a problem with H&M, but I agree that Next is always true to size and so is M&S. xx

Looks like I will also have to check out M&S. The only things I have bought there so far are knickers, bra and pumps. I just love M&S underwear!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Next and Monsoon always have their sizes too big.

I love River Island, I think their sizes are generally accurate.

But as others have said I can wear many sizes depending on where I buy them and sometimes even clothes from the same shop will be different, I don't understand that one at all!!

Tops I vary from 6-10, jeans/ trousers/skirts I'm usually a 10.
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be able to get smart clothes in Next. Unfortunately they turn down my business as even their smallest size drowns me. I wish I was that small but I'm not! I'm 35/27/34 and according to their size charts a size 10. M&S are the same. I buy most things in Dorothy Perkins and Primark where I am an 8-10 petite. I don't care if the number is 8 or 14, I'd just like to be that one size everywhere.

My mum gave me a vest top she bought in H&M without trying on in a size 16, it fits me perfectly. So I literally have size 6 - 16 in my wardrobe. It's nuts!
  • samsara18
    samsara18 Posts: 40
    Options
    Top Shop, Miss Selfridge and ASOS are fairly true (I am petite). Next is so over-sized I can no longer shop there. River Island is good but don't do a petite. It is strange how the sizes are different in different stores...I guess they each have a market they are selling to. I always look at size in inches bust, waist, hips and length (if applicable) now particularly as I shop online.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I like next, miss selfridge, warehouse and topshop for their sizing:) I've had alot of trouble in the past with clothing shops because alot of the sizes are just too big, I'm still in children's clothes in some shops ha!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

Follow it to the app

I use this site and it's great! It's not just the size - I think it makes it easy to see what sort of cut will fit best too (some clothes seem to be cut for curvier figures). It's also fun to see what size you would be in US clothes! A US size zero isn't actually as tiny as I thought.

I find Jaeger clothes are quite big. I fitted a 12 in there when I was a 16 everywhere else.