Am I the only one without a smartphone?

Options
I feel like I'm one of the only people on the damn planet without a smartphone. I know it's convenient and all, but I can't afford one of them. Everybody, and I mean everybody has one of them. And what's worse, my cell phone company is all but forcing us to get them (if we want a cell phone). The regular phones used to be somewhat useful..now they're worthless. I can't afford $80/month for even the cheapest data plan...I have no idea how some people afford them along with mortgage, student loans, car loans, taxes, insurance, food, gas ect...

that's my rant for the day..

Replies

• emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't have a smartphone, and don't foresee getting one any time soon... I have the LG Banter through Koodo - $0 phone, plan is $30 per month with unlimited text and more minutes than I need... works just fine for me.

My 12-year-old, however, is convinced he needs an iPhone - like, now. :P
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    meh, count yourself lucky OP. I held off as long as I could before getting mine and I'm addicted to it now, lol! It takes up so much time with facebook, MFP, apps..... blah blah blah. As you can tell we have a love/hate relationship.... :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    When I had a business, I needed a smart phone. Now, not so much. But, I just have one because I have one. But, it's not really necessary. The only thing for me is I text way way way more than I talk. A perfect day for me is to never talk on my phone. So, with email and texting, a regular flip phone or whatever just sucks. Thats why I probably need a smart phone, so I can text and email. I don't wan tto have to talk to all the douche bags that text me.. LOL. THat would freaking suck balls.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Your not alone!:smile: I don't have one either, or a cell phone. :noway: They don't work where I live!:cry: Thank goodness for that. :drinker:
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Lol don't feel bad, I literally just got my first smartphone a little less than a month ago. I was using an old beat up LG EnV touch. Couldn't imagine going back to that phone now. Smartphones are awesome, and like you said, expensive also. However, I think they're worth the price considering all the things you can use them for. Surely makes logging food on mfp super convenient.
  • conservativek
    conservativek Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't need no stinkin'smartphone, long as there's two tin cans and a string. ;) For real, I don't use one. Probably won't ever. So no, You're not the only one on the planet without a smartphone... Wait- unless you're from a different planet?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Smartphone? Hell, I don't have a cell phone of any type!

I don't like the telephone to begin with, so I don't understand why anyone would want to carry one with them ALL THE TIME. The only time I ever felt one would be nice to have was being stuck at a shop with parcels and no way to call for a cab.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have a smart phone. After my two years are up, I might go back to the regular cell phone. I never go online with my smartphone so what's the point? I call and text, that's it. I don't need to waste my time playing around on my cell phone. I see so many ppl, mostly younger, who act "busy" scrolling through their texts and playing with their cell phones when they could be doing something in their real life. It's pretty sad how dependent ppl have become on them.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    We were like that for awhile when they first came out. We refused to add more cost to our portfolio of "telecom costs" and we don't even have cable/satellite or any TV type of service in the list! My husband looked at the total cost and we got rid of our land line service, kept an old flip phone to use as our home phone, and each got androids, and overall lowered the cost of our total "telecom" bill. We refused to keep adding cost and found a way to make it work.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    We don't have smart phones either. My husband and I have military grade Boulder GZOne phones. They've been washed in the washer, run over by the car and accidentally thrown against the wall numberous times, and they still work. How many of the smart phones you see have cracked screens?

One of the main reasons we don't is the cost. My husband has been out of work for four years now. Between three phones and a hot spot, we use 200 minutes, unlimited text and moble to moble and 2.5 Gb on the hot spot. I've gotten our phones down to the bare minimum. If you want to save money look at your cable or satelite bill. We don't have one. Best savings we ever did.
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    $80/month is so expensive :o
    I love my smartphone! The one I have, the HTC One S, costs me £24/month which is about $40/month, and that's the most expensive one I've ever had.
    We can get smart phones for £10/month here in the UK which according to google is about $17/month? Maybe you need to shop around a bit more?
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    So, if you have AT&T - you can have 1 "smartphone" per family WITHOUT a data plan. But only one.

You have to call and whine and blah blah blah, but they'll let you have a smartphone and just disable the internet. I had a blackberry for like 3 years but no data plan just because we called and whined about how I didn't want it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    No smartphone for me - I still have a stupidphone. it's all I need right now, so I see no reason to spend the $$$ to upgrade. If my needs change, my phone will change, but not before.
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I guess we have pretty good providers here (Sweden). They have a lot of special offers on smartphones all of the time, and if you avoid the iPhones (blergh!) or the latest Samsung they still have a LOT of decently priced phones.
    I pay $15/month for my HTC phone, unlimited surf, and 5000 text messages. Additional fees for any calls, but quite frankly I always text anyway :)
    This is only about twice the amount I spent on my phone bill when I had my very first Nokia 3310 :P
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! I don't have one either, or a cell phone. They don't work where I live.

This
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Nope - $100 bucks a year pay as you go! Only use it for emergencies!
  • PJtwo
    PJtwo Posts: 11
    Options
    You're not the only one, I do not have one and don't want one, I have a nice computer at home a laptop and an ipod, I don't need to get online 24/7 nor do I want to. I have an every day flip phone and love it, we got rid of the home phone years ago and just use the cell.

I can afford an iphone, I just don't want to afford them:laugh: Besides the screens are too small for my eyes:noway: Get this I don't even text:noway: I don't want to get addicted to that, I am pretty sure none of my friends want/need to know my every move:laugh: :laugh:
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    No smartphone here either... I love my Rumor, nice slide out keyboard, I have worn off a few letters with all my texting... There are moments when I have thought the web access would be handy, or some of the games my friends show me are cool, but then they tell me what their monthly bills are and I am happy with my "oldie"!! Every time I stop by the Sprint store for something, they always remind me I am eligible for a new phone and I just smile and clutch my little Rumor closer to me :happy:
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am one of those middle~aged women who are still stuck in the Dark Ages! I do not have a cell nor anything updated!:laugh: I still do smoke signals to talk to hubby when he's at work!:wink: