Am I the only one without a smartphone?

Options

Replies

• autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I had one at a very good price for everything unlimited for $30/mth b/c my cousin worked there but when he left that job the price went up to close to $50/mth so I got a regular slide phone where I can text and/or talk but no web b/c I never used it on my smart phone and now I only pay $20/mth - I hate talking on the phone so I usually text b/c I can still 'talk' in a way while doing something useful at the same time on my time...lol Saving $30/mth instead of browsing the net on my phone is way worth it to me...I just use my home pc now. So much easier to me.:happy:
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    zyxst we are kindred spirits! lol
  • NotThePest
    Options
    I have a regular plan bread cell phone. I am smarter than a phone
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am one of those middle~aged women who are still stuck in the Dark Ages! I do not have a cell nor anything updated!:laugh: I still do smoke signals to talk to hubby when he's at work!:wink:

And get on the internet based forums and post how you don't use technology. Good job!
  • Mama06
    Mama06 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    you're not alone. i don't have one either & i have no intention of getting one. :happy:
    i'm a non-conformist :tongue:
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    nope. no smartphones for us either. paying for 4 "dumbphones" each month is costing us more than enough!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't have a smart phone. I pay for internet at home and refuse to pay for internet on a a mobile device as well. There are so many places with WiFi, that I can't even really imagine needing a smart phone - I'd much rather get myself a tablet eventually (there are many that do not require data plans). When I got my new phone recently, I just asked which ones did not require data plans. There are always a few. I think my phone could technically be a smart phone. It can access the internet, I just choose not to do it because I don't want to pay for the data. Ask in store what is available. Also, there are lots of independent retailers that carry more of a selection than your service provider. I got my phone at costco.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    $80 seems really expensive! Is that a typical price in the US? In the UK I can get a simple Samsung smart phone for £11.99 a month on a special offer and there are others at £15 a month. Typical rates are £20 -25 a month unless you want a high-end smart phone. Glad I'm in the UK now!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have only had a smartphone for 9 months. I don't phone or text a lot, so it wasn't something I thought a lot about to begin with. Then my old phone broke a year ago, and I bought a really cheap replacement phone for the interim until my contract ended, and then I decided to get a smartphone, because I realised the apps would be very helpful in organising my life. I really shopped around to find the best deal, and found a contract which doesn't cost much more than the contract I had before, and where I didn't have to pay for the phone itself. And I'm so glad I got a smartphone - I have a shopping list app, a budgeting app, an app to tick of the daily habits I want to establish, and of course the myfitnesspal app. My life has changed in a very positive way as a result. But that's because I need visual organisational things to help me organise my life - I wouldn't necessarily recommend a smartphone for everyone, but for other people like myself who are on the autism spectrum, I'd really recommend it.
  • Mama06
    Mama06 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't have a smartphone. Or a dumb phone. Any kind of cellphone. I'm 26 and everyone thinks it's unheard of to not have a phone but as a kid I grew up with the phone attached to the wall (a ROTARY phone! And a party line we shared with another guy across the way I guess) and I guess I just haven't jumped onto this trend of thinking we're all so important we need to be contactable 24/7. Unless you're a doctor or something I really don't see the need. And I don't think it's healthy. People are stressed out about work and stuff because they can't turn it off. It's constant bombardment. I'm always at home or work. There are phones there. If I'm not there I'm at the gym. I don't want to talk to you then. And if I'm out shopping or something the odd time if you honestly can't wait until I get home well then I'd say you need to take a chill pill. And that's MY rant. I kept it short lol

LOL! Love it!
    You took the words out of my mouth!
  • emnk5308
    Options
    I don't have a cell phone at all.. Of course I would love to have one but I can't afford one either.. It is already hard enough eating and kind of paying the bills.. :noway:
    I don't see how other people that are always 'broke' too have cell phones. :explode:

**Smart phones. Like the newest Iphone....
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am one of those middle~aged women who are still stuck in the Dark Ages! I do not have a cell nor anything updated!:laugh: I still do smoke signals to talk to hubby when he's at work!:wink:

And get on the internet based forums and post how you don't use technology. Good job!

HA! ha! I am using my mental powers to do this! Muhahaha! :tongue:
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    You don't have to pay anywhere NEAR $80 a month to have a smartphone.
    Straight talk and T-mobile have dirt cheap plans that work with Sim card phones and NO contract...just bring your own device.

https://www.straighttalk.com/secure/ServicePlans

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans?clicked=link2

Best no contract smartphone for these services? (IMO)

http://www.google.com/nexus/#/galaxy - $350

Also, there is a cheaper option:

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/

Best option - $160

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/htc-one-v-phone/features/

These are very affordable monthly and there is no contract, so if you're really broke for a month, you don't have to pay!!! Best of all, they are based off att, tmobile, and sprints networks... so coverage should be fine in most places.
  • Ruthann2
    Ruthann2 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! I don't have one either, or a cell phone. They don't work where I live.

This

Yup this
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    we JUST upgraded from our flip RAZR phones from Motorola, we have some sort of Samsung thing, our friends have made fun of us for years, but I honestly don't see the point in a phone with internet...almost everywhere we go has WiFi, so I can just use that for free - get out my Nook and go to town if I "need" to do something. I grew up without cell phones and the internet ruling my life, so I refuse to let it rule me now. There are more important things in life than checking FB every 5 seconds, or surfing the internet all the time-
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have a smart phone after years of not having one, and I finally feel like I've joined civilization.

Also, 80 dollars a month is not bad at all.. thats what I pay at Sprint for 450 minutes, unlimited night and weekend minutes, unlimited texting, unlimited data and unlimited calls to/from any cell phone carrier.

Since pretty much everyone has a cell phone, I hardly ever use any minutes... and considering their unlimited everything plan(which I basically have) is over a hundred dollars per month, I think I got the better deal.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    BTW...SW(SuperWife) LOVES her pink magenta Reese Witherspoon "Legally Blonde 2" Razr V3 phone and she's very smart!
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    NO ! I've had this old broke up phone for nearly a year...I'm on a £26 month contract but my "smartphone" that i get with it isn't so smart and seems to keep breaking so gave up...waited a year for the new iphone 5, but think I'll be getting a samsung galaxy note (cos it big and won't fit in my bra- last phone in my bra got water damage - shouldn't dance with a smartphone in your bra btw)

to be honest my most reliable phone was this one, all you do is call and text, poor camera, no memory, no internet just the basics !
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I have a crap phone too! woohoo!
  • murmuration
    murmuration Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No smart phone here. I have a simple mobile phone that texts and makes short calls (and takes bad photos). That's all I really need. I've considered a smart phone but I've resisted mainly because of the monthly cost.