Why is surgery considered so wrong???

Options
Let me give a bit of info. I have been overweight my entire life. I have not been a reall overeater until I moved in with my OH. I have always tried to eat healthily especially since I got IBS 15 years ago.
I tried WW when I was 10, doctors have put me on diets including the legendary cabbage soup diet. 4 years ago I spent my six weeks summer holidays going to the gym for 1/2 hours a day and was on a 1500 calorie diet set by my doc. In 6 weeks I lost 3 pounds!

The weight continued to pile on. I used to put most on during the autumn winter then lose most of it during the sprong summer. This stopped after I moved in with my OH and ate more and more processed.

I decided enough was enough when I reached 23 stone and I am only 5 ft 3.

I went to see my doc who reccoemended me for surgery. I saw a member of the bariatric team who told me I had 5/10 years to live if I carried on....I was 37 years old. Once I stopped crying he talked about my history and my diet. I changed to no processed food at all and max 1200 calories a day. I bought a fit bit, joined here and worked hard and gave all my time and energy to losing as much weight as I could to be safe in the op. Towards the end bad eating habits started to creep in and I know I could not have done this over the long term. I lost 3.5 stone over the 5 months

I have had a gastric sleeve done and have lost 3 stone since my op. I now cannot over eat and am eating 800/1000 calories a day. Don't get me wrong this is not easy. I can still eat rubbish if I choose to. I still have to watch nutition and calories. I struggle to get my protein in and get my fruit and veggies. This is not an easy option, I have to watch every bite that goes into my mouth.

It does upset me when I read the posts on here about surgery. Surgery can be successful if you are ready to work at it. The difference is you have a tool that helps you. I read the forums to get food ideas but unfortunately I cannot share hints and tips with others who have had surgery because we are not encouraged to post that info here.

I am a lower weight now than I can ever remember being, I am able to move more, I get 10,000 steps in every day and am over 6 and a half stone lighter than I was in January. For me this is a success story. I have a life I never knew I could have and I am going to live to a good old age!!!

Replies

• sistatv
    sistatv Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your successes! Losing weight is difficult no matter what routes you take! Maybe you can start a group for people who have had weight loss surgeries this way you guys can support each other and offer tips. Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • tnmyers23
    tnmyers23 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    As far as I am concerned surgery is not wrong. You did what you had to to lose the weight and live longer. I have a son who had the gastric bypass and went from over 400 pounds to under 200 pounds and has maintained it for 5 years or more now, So I know how hard it is to watch everything you eat. Keep up the good work and I wish you the best of luck on this journey. Don't let people knock you down because you had the surgery. They are probably ones that are ineligable for it so ignore them.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying about surgery and it's not considered so wrong...it's just not always the right answer. As you said you can still eat the wrong things. Some people think once they have surgery their problems are over and the weight will just fall off. It takes dedication to lose the weight either way. Some lose easier than others and some like me just doesn't feel the need to have surgery. I really considered it but decided that I needed to be in the right frame of mind and dedication. I can do it without surgery. Good luck with your progress.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Surgery is seen as the easy way out by those who don't know about it. As you say, weight loss surgery is a tool and you are clearly using your tool well. Congratulations and keeping the great work.

I have a gastric lapband and have lost 63kg, something I never achieved with Jenny Craig, weight watchers or anything else.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think people think it's drastic and a cheat. Well, I know from experience that it's just a tool, and you still have to work really hard to lose the weight. Is it drastic? Yes, but nothing else worked for me. I had the LapBand when I was 40. How long was I supposed to keep trying the same thing and failing? I wanted my life back, and I finally got it. I've lost 85 pounds and have 95 left to go. I can now keep up with my family and my four-year-old. I can actually jog! I've never done that before.

Definitely join the WLS forums and ignore the general forums if you can. Not everyone will understand what you're going through, and many people have their own issues that make them hate on WLS.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    People see weight loss surgery as wrong because it's basically handing over the responisbility of how much you eat to something else. You can't eat a lot, not because you choose not, but because you have a smaller stomach.
    A lot of people, including myself have been obese, morbidly obese, and lost the weight by sheer grit and determination. Also by doing a hell of a lot of research, reading books, experimenting with different foods and methods, talking to people who have lost the weight. My mothers best friend was 28 stone, she is now 10 stone. Not because she had weight loss surgery, but because she decided enough was enough and chose to not eat bad foods anymore. She is incredible and a weight loss hero.

I spent £3,000 training to become a hypnotherapist...in order to cure my depression, find out how to be a better person and explore the reasons behind my compulsive and obsessive over eating.

By getting sugery, you are fixing your body, not your head, which is where overeating and obesity comes from. You still have the urges to eat junk food.

IMOH, if every person had explored every possible way to gain a healthy relationship with food and exercise before getting the surgery. Then no surgeries would happen.

I think people, especially in the UK, are unhappy about weight loss surgeries, is because the funding for these operations comes out of the taxpayers pocket.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!!

I think people consider it wrong because some think that it is an "easy" fix. You can have a procedure done, and lose weight. They think that you don't have to put in any hard work- exercise, and the mental work. The hardest part for me in losing weight has been the getting my head together. I have looked at my eating habits and choices and analyzed why I eat, what causes me to binge, what emotions help trigger binges, etc. Some do not want to do that. That is the hardest thing to deal with sometimes. So, they choose to not deal with it and get surgery.

I am not saying that surgery is wrong. With some people it is a must to save their lives.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I am a member of a couple of groups but it is the main boards where I have seen problems. Oh my goodness surgery is not for everyone, but then neither is Paelo, IF or heavy lifting but somehow surgery gets the worse press. I could not have lost this weight without the surgery I have had....I know that because I know me better than anyone else.

The sad fact is I have worries about sagging skin, hair thinning etc and have been lucky to find others sharing their stories on here and these are concerns for anyone losing large amounts of weight however they are doing it.

Surgery is a huge event, committment and can be a very scary experience but it seems that once mentioned people love to talk about how all the people they know who have had it have regained or the weight, nearly died from the surgery or been left with long term damage after the surgery. I would have died without the surgery, now I am doing very well and am getting healthier day by day.

All I ask is that people try to think of the emotional, mental and physical state of a person considering surgery and try not to judge.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I would consider it wrong.

From my perspective, it's seen as a relatively dangerous, very difficult procedure for something that can be done without it in the majority of cases. I am fully aware that some people have perfectly good reasons for having the surgery, I.E. a medical condition (in most situations) that would make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to achieve the same type of success without surgery. But my contention is that it's a dangerous, usually unnecessary procedure, that is used far more often than it should be.

As with any diet aid, weight loss surgery fixes the symptom of the problem. The weight, I hope we can all agree, is not the issue. How someone gained the weight (both physically and psychologically) is the main problem.

There's a reason why people without other underlying medical conditions become overweight. Usually it is (in part at least) due to some kind of psychological flaw that has yet to be resolved. That being the case, having surgery will fix the weight, but not the reason why the person gained in the first place.

that being said, here are some statistics on WLS that should be known, and why I'm generally in the camp of people who steer those interested away from it unless absolutely necessary.

(from WebMD)
    1% of WLS procedures result in death
    20% of patients need additional surgery to repair operative issues resulting from the surgery.
    about 30% develop malnutrition issues post surgery.

(from diabetesjournals.org)
    patient retention of the new lifestyle is 50% (meaning 50% of those receiving the story regain at least a part of the weight over the long term)
    20% of those who receive the surgery regain all of the weight and add more weight after.

Other things to keep in mind with weight loss surgery:

post WLS additional surgeries are usually necessary. Depending on the speed of loss, odds are that the person will need some form of skin surgery to avoid infection which is painful and dangerous (any time you need to be put under anesthesia there's risk). Granted this is possibly necessary with normal weight loss, but generally not necessary if the weight loss is achieved slowly and the skin is given time to recover.

Most people who request the surgery are morbidly obese, requirements for the surgery usually include psychological counselling and nutrition counselling. This is great, but not required post-op, psychological issues are rarely solved in a few months, thus the issues surrounding the weight gain are usually not resolved, and thus a higher possibility of re-gain.

and of course the money factor. Whether you have insurance or not, it's expensive, if your insurance covers it, the costs go up because of it, if it doesn't, total monetary input including surgery, post-op, and follow up treatments can exceed $20,000 or more over 2 years.

So, at least in my view, you can see, I don't have any problem with the actual surgery for those that require it. I just feel that given the risks involved, it's safer (and ultimately far more satisfying for the individual) to do it on their own (or with help) and go about it the way of healthy eating and exercise without surgery or diet aids.

Not to say i don't have the utmost respect for those who go through it, it's a difficult and demanding process requiring weeks off work, a lot of mental hardship, quite a bit of pain, and a complete change in nutrition. I recognize that.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say a big "f-you" to all he haters who slam weight loss surgery. Keep your opinions to yourself. I had gastric bypass 4 years ago and it saved my life. I did my research and made the right choice for ME!! That's all that matters.

Good for you. Best wishes on your journey!!
  • allie316
    allie316 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I believe all decisions on how to lose weight is best made by the individual. I cant say i would consider having surgery, but i have not yet exhausted every other avenue to lose weight.

Being over weight is a horrible thing to live with, and if it works for you when nothing else has, then good on you for finding your pathway to health and weight loss!

Its sad that we still have to justify our actions to better ourselves on a forum based on bettering ourselves :noway:
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    So true. Good health is my aim so this should be the perfect site for someone like me!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I always think it's a shame when people get to the point where they need surgery, and the fact that it is obviously so difficult for some people to lose and keep weight off is why I try to be vigilant about my own weight.

Having said that, if there's no alternative in your mind, then do it. But commit yourself to a healthier lifestyle -- you'll probably be on a low-calorie diet for the rest of your life -- and please don't communicate to your family, especially young people, that surgery is to be relied on.

I think that's the reason that people are so skeptical. They're afraid that eating poorly and solving the problem with surgery will become the new normal, just as many people don't think twice about plastic surgery, which IS surgery and carries serious risks.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Its sad that we still have to justify our actions to better ourselves on a forum based on bettering ourselves :noway:

It's a forum, not a sounding board. There are legitimate reasons why someone should think very carefully about having surgery, and the OP raised the subject.

You can't very well ask for someone's opinion and then complain upon receiving one.
  • kaytee003
    kaytee003 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't really see it as wrong, depending on the situation. Do I believe most people think of it as an easy fix without putting in the work to find out how you got the way you are? yes yes I do. you can staple the stomach but that wont change your brain. If you get healthy with it as a tool then heck yeah go you! but it's the people that get it and either gain it all back or don't change their habits that I have a problem with.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm a lap band recipient and I sometimes feel like a outcast on the site, because I am not like a lot of people, I don't eat as much, some people think I'm starving myself etc,but that is where you pick your friends wisely. I have a great support system on here and can't imagine ever leaving this site. I know it is not an easy way out. I'm dealing with issues now with low blood sugar, not sure if it has to do with the strict diet I am on since the surgery or what, I had blood work last week and will hopefully get some answers to what is going on with me early this week.

Surgery is not an easy choice. It's not like we really want to do things to our bodies and have all the risks that come along with it, We do it because we feel it is the only way. You have run out of options, you have tried everything to lose weight. And we accept the risks and the "what could happens" which is a hard choice. Surgery isn't for everyone... Surgery won't help everyone..Many people fail with it also.. I love this site, the information, the support etc. There are a lot of people on here that are very supportive that have not had to have surgery... You will have people that will never understand, that's just life.. I wish you continued success in your journey! It is a life long one.. And the one thing everyone has in common on this site... Is we ALL want to be healthier...
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've never needed that kind of surgery and honestly don't know if I would go that way or not. But I have no qualms with people going that route. I'm sure that people that qualify for it have gone through numerous diets over many years. My biggest beef with it is that people go through a major surgery, lose a lot of weight and regain it all several years later. I have three friends that have had it and regained, one can barely walk now.

But to me the promising part is that all of you on here that have had it are modifying your behavior to go along with the assist from surgery. So high fives to all of you. I know it can't have been an easy decision and I wish you nothing but luck on your journey.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Because people are as$holes who seem to get pleasure of some sort out of worrying about and commenting on the choices others make in their life. Because every douchenozzle with a keyboard has an opinion and thinks it the right and only one. The world would be such a better place if more people worried about their own garden and less about that of their neighbor. It's not that hard to agree to disagree.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I guess my problem with surgery is that it doesn't build self confidence..... the truth is that we really can do this on our own.... we've been told all our lives how hard it is to do this, but what does surgery really do for you? it simply limits the amount of food your body can take in.... and lets be honest, if we believe in ourselves WE can limit the amount of food and what kind of food we eat.... no one is forcing us, we just use the every excuse in the book to justify having that extra little treat or portion..... our bodies are like machines..... and we decide what and how much fuel it gets.....

When I read up on what I would be able to eat after gastric bypass I thought it was insane.... of course I would lose weight on those portions.....so why not limit myself without going through a painful surgery that took away my options...... there is no magic to surgery.... it just takes the control that you REALLY do have inside.... and controls it for you

YOU CAN DO THIS ON YOUR OWN...... just start making the choices you can be proud of...... and leave the guilt of sneaking food, or overeating behind you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!