Do people think your goal weight is too skinny?

Options
13»

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    People in the US are so used to being fat and seeing fat, they don't know what is healthy.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i think you should pay more attention to body fat rather than weight because a very fit person often weighs more than someone who has more fat but less muscle (muscle weighing more than fat)

but that is annoying.
  • YF92
    YF92 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    180 lbs is fine. You won't look skinny but you won't looked too buffed either. Just make sure its 180 lbs with as much muscle/as little bodyfat as you can if you want to look good.

Oh and a word of advice: Don't listen to people who have no idea about weight loss. My dad used to tell me I'm being too hard on myself and that I should loosen up. Usually when he gives advice it's a pretty damn good advice but I know for a fact he has no clue about this subject so I just tell him no.

Trust me when I say that when it comes to weight loss, a ton of people will all give you their idea of what you should be doing (eating, exercising etc). Don't listen to their advice unless they actually lost weight, have good knowledge about the subject, or till you can verify it yourself from trust worthy sources. God knows how much I messed up because of blindly following people's advice.
  • elfpearl
    Options
    Because I am very petite (4 ft. 11.5 inches tall) people often think my goal weight (100 lbs) is too low...I just try to explain that at my height, 100 lbs. isn't actually that thin, and I could be as low as 90 and still have a healthy BMI...that said, I'm 105 right now and feeling pretty good about it...fitting into a size 0-2, which I haven't done in years, and when I was 100 lbs. before I wasn't exercising so it could be that 105 and fit is realistically healthier than I was then. We shall see!! I agree that everyone is different and even if you are the same height as someone else, a weight that is healthy on one person may be too thin/heavy for another person just because we are unique humans. :)
  • TeamNoExcuses
    Options
    My goal weight was too skinny before. I am 5"2" and 120 now but I wanted to be 105. I recently found a picture from 3 years ago that was me at 110 and I was borderline anorexic. That made me realize that I don't really need to lose weight. I just need to tone up.

People are different. I'm 5'2", my highest weight, caused by a medication, was 112, and 105 is still a fairly high weight for me. I consider it a gateway to becoming overweight. I'm 101.5 today and I don't look anorexic. In my 20s and 30s I weighed in the low- to mid-90s. I'm not trying to get back down that low, but I was not made to be 120 pounds.

As I'm the only member of my family who is normal weight I know whereof I speak.

I agree that everyone is different. Even people of the same gender and height can look different at the same weight. I have a 5"3" friend who is 112 and she looks the same size as me. So I am very aware that everyone is different. I am a small-medium frame and she is a small frame so she looks bigger at 112 then I would.

But people also have a different view on what they want to look like. I may not have looked anorexic to some people but looking back I wouldn't want to be that small again. I had probably 12-15% body fat and my doctor asked me to eat more. I was not underweight but I was getting there. But that's my frame and my body that may not be the case for everyone. I was not attempting to be the spokesperson for 5"2" females. I speak for myself.
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm 1.61 m of height and I'm now in the 67-69 kg range and people that see me and know prior that I've been dieting, they already think I'm okay the way I look. But they don't seem to get that my current weight is still considered as 'excessive weight' for my height and body built. And what's important is how I want to look. My opinion is the one that truly matters.
  • Marigenous
    Options
    All the time! I'm 5'4" and my start weight was 170lb just under a year and a half ago. I looked really bad at that weight and was having a lot of issues with my asthma, blood sugar, and depression. Now that I'm at around 150lb, my friends and family freak out when I tell them that my goal weight is closer to 110-120lb (accounting for increased muscle mass).
    When I try to explain to them that I still have at least another 10lb to go before I'm in a "healthy" BMI range and that I think I'm actually fairly small boned so I'm aiming for the lower end of the "acceptable" spectrum, people start trying to tell me I'm wrong. I hear a lot of "Oh, but your breasts will shrink! So much of your weight is in your boobs" and "but you're pretty!". I think they mean well and they think that they're boosting my self-esteem but they don't get that I want to /feel healthy/. I don't care if I'm not a 34H anymore if it's between that and my health!
    I've mentioned how I'm eating better, exercising, and losing weight to my doctors. So far, they've all been encouraging and glad that I'm logging what I eat so that I can make sure I'm getting enough nutrients.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" & here are my stats

SW- 171 lbs
    CW- 145 lbs
    GW- 130 lbs
    UGW- 125 lbs

At my height I don't want to be toned, or flabby at all... I want to be thin structure as model has (without being overly thin).

word.^
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    personally i have a goal weight to reach, but if I just get down way healthier than I am now and I feel good where I'm at, I won't stress the "goal' that much. It's more about me than the number.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Are we as a society become so accustomed to people being fat that we think that being a "fit" weight is too skinny?
    yes
  • kaylabrianna
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and 123lbs! god I must look awful, lol.

Do what makes you happy! negative people > negative you
  • Mistila
    Options
    I along with some fit friends think those ppl are just jel...:)
  • kirstenthibeault
    Options
    I started at 260 and tell people my goal is to lose 100 lbs. Everyone is like "100 lbs is too much to lose-you don't need to lose that much." Well, on the doctors height/weight chart I am still considered to be obese at 160. Currently I have lost 71 pounds and dropped from a size 22 pants to size 14 pants and everybody says I look good, but I am still plus size and even at -100lbs I will still probably be a plus size. Weight looks different on everybody--so none of them (whether they know your starting point or not or your end goal or not) know what is best for you.
    Long story short-ignore people who say "That's too skinny." or "You don't need to lose that much." Work towards your goals and work with your doctor be the healthiest you that you can be.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My goal is 115lb (52kg). I'm 5'0", so this is a very acceptable weight for me (on the higher-mid range of a healthy BMI). But a few people have commented that it's too low because they can't visualise it on a short person, and it does sound like a lot less than what "normal-sized" people weigh.
  • Aurorakitty
    Options
    my goal is 95lb and i'm 5'0 120lb was what I started at and yes its within BMI recommendations but I looked so fat at that weight and people commented that I needed to lose some. Now I"m afraid 95lb is to far down the BMI chart its like 18.8 I think. No one's commented yet beyond 106 (which was mixed) so I"m not sure if its to skinny. I'm always around people who are a few inches taller but the same weight as me so to me this is acceptable but maybe my perception is messed up?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Maybe? I don't know. I don't tell people I'm even trying to lose weight in general.