Lean ground beef (95% or 96%) vs. ground Turkey

Options
Which is 'healthier' and which do you prefer for recipes?

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    9 out of 10 times I choose ground turkey.
  • orrmichelle77
    Options
    Most of the time I choose ground turkey. however, I do use the leanest beef for taco because I feel like turkey doesn't give tacos that yummy taco flavor. :smile:
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    also use turkey 9/10 or more. Venison is the other ground meat I'll use over beef. No matter how low fat (97/3% is the lowest I can find) venison and turkey win for lower fat and calories. I have fed both to ppl in many dishes and they swore it was beef.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey tastes horrible to me. I always choose lean ground beef.
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I prefer the beef and also like more nutrients, such as Potassium in beef.
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Lots of times in the past, I would use ground turkey because it was cheaper - obviously not the leanest ground turkey :) This time I chose the beef. I'm making chili this afternoon! It's getting chlly here in NY.
  • dkweathington
    dkweathington Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I believe turkey because less calories and I have always heard to watch red meat intake.
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ground turkey can be really dry. so it depends on the recipe whether it will be good or not. For something like chili either one works.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I use both equally, except for hamburgers, we actually use 80/20 because anything leaner usually doesn't hold together very well...a little fat is good for you! Gosh, now I want a freaking juicy burger with bacon on it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    beef is disgusting to me so ground turkey for the win. even if it were healthier, smelling and tasting beef makes me want to hurl so it's not an option.

if you really want to splurge, ground lamb is kind of the best of both worlds.

also ground chicken is delicious too
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've always heard the turkey is 'healthier' as far a calories, etc., so that's what I go with. I also choose ground turkey 9.5/10 but that's just because I'm not a big fan of the taste of beef in general whether it be steaks, ground meat, etc. The only thing I can see using it for is my great grandpa's meat sauce recipe-- it's tradition!
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I go with ground beef because I think the ground turkey is nasty!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I use both equally, except for hamburgers, we actually use 80/20 because anything leaner usually doesn't hold together very well...a little fat is good for you! Gosh, now I want a freaking juicy burger with bacon on it.

^^^ This 100%
  • book_worm4
    Options
    I like to use ground turkey, because I'm not a big fan of beef. However my family likes ground beef better, so we kind of use both.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Beef all the way. I buy the leanest I can find. I use ground turkey if I'm making a recipe that calls for it though.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ground beef and it's not even close. Also, there's no chance I'd pay the extra money for beef that lean. All the taste would be gone. I typically use the fattiest beef I can find at the store, usually 70% or so. In recipes, the fattier the beef the more flavor/seasonings it can hold.
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I believe turkey because less calories and I have always heard to watch red meat intake.

I like either just depends on how I'm feeling but I have to disagree with the less calories thing 93% beef or turkey have about the same amount of calories when you look at the two when they have the same amount of fat. I also liek to throw ground chicken breast into the mix just to change things up :smile:
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ground beef and it's not even close. Also, there's no chance I'd pay the extra money for beef that lean. All the taste would be gone. I typically use the fattiest beef I can find at the store, usually 70% or so. In recipes, the fattier the beef the more flavor/seasonings it can hold.

This guy knows what's up.
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have made a batch of chilli this weekend and used turkey mince for the first time. It just does not taste the same and when I make my batch for next month I will be going back to lean, not ultra lean as it has no taste, minced beef.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I use turkey - red meat tends to give me heart burn.