Food Diaries: Open or Closed?

Options

Replies

• MandyMoos1978
    MandyMoos1978 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i had mine open for a long time, then the shame of eating or drinking something 'bad' was killing me, lol. since i closed my diary my logging has been 100% honest and my diet has been better too :)
    would think that would be just the opposite LOL. that behind closed doors not as honest.

I see your point xxx
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    Mine is open but empty. Something about logging my food here was creating more anxiety than my therapist felt was healthy. I keep a running calorie count during the day on my phone, but I had to compromise to keep dieting without losing my mind.

Thank you for replying xxx
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    I keep mine closed. We have a lot of Ph.D's in Broscience on MFP.

If I wanted advice on what to eat, I'd see a licensed nutritionist in real life, not take advice from whackadoodles on the interwebs.

LOL very true - mine is only open to friends! xxx
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses, but for me, I kept it closed for a while because I found myself not being honest, fearing the comments. I started keeping track in my head, saying to myself, "I'll just put in one piece of toast (or glass of wine), but I know that it was two (or three)". I've seen some really unkind things written on MFP from behind the anonymity of a keyboard, and I didn't want to open myself up to that kind of unpleasantness.

Ultimately, my MFP friend group convinced me to trust them and open my food diary up. I now am honest about what I log (although I don't log every day-- it's a pian logging on MFP and Fitbit, and I'm not interested in syncing them).

Thank you for your comment and honesty xxx
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    Although I log everything and eat very healthy, there's always someone to criticize what is eaten or put phoney comments like "atta girl" for eating what I'm supposed to eat anyway. Some people need that, but it's not what I'm looking for. My diary remains blocked.

Thank you xxx
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    It is only an issue for me when someone on my FL asks repeatedly for advice on why they're not losing but then refuse to open their diary. I could care less up until that point. People in the past never gave me a reason as to why it's closed just either ignored the requests from myself and others or were down right rude. That's fine, but this can be a helpful site if used the right way. Just if you don't want to be held accountable don't ask. You can exercise all you want, but diet is key! Mine is friends only and I only ask them for advice; not the forums.

Thank you xxx
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open because I'm very honest about what i eat and embarrassment or worry what others will think keeps me in check :) feel free to add me everyone :)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    i had mine open for a long time, then the shame of eating or drinking something 'bad' was killing me, lol. since i closed my diary my logging has been 100% honest and my diet has been better too :)
    would think that would be just the opposite LOL. that behind closed doors not as honest.

LOL - but if you lie to yourself, you know you're lying, because you've already seen what you've eaten, so it wouldn't work! :-) If you lie to others, they have no way of knowing, so you can do it successfully - but then I can't see the point of lying to people about what you eat.
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    Mine was open til recently as I am a newbie. After I saw the some feedback left for others (not positive) I closed mine to my friends only. There are some great helpful people on here and others well I would be hurt by what they wrote. So avoidance for me.

Thank you, mine is friends only too xxx
  • Needtobefitandslimagain
    Options
    I have mine open to friends (I think?!). As newcomer to MFP, the diaries have really helped me with meal ideas.
    So for me personally I think open diaries have been extremely helpful, but I understand that some people want to keep that private.
    I think it's nice to have the option!
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    mine is open as it should be someone might find it of some use
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    Same as a few people on here - didn't know it was set to private.

I assumed the default was 'friends-only'... because I don't care who reads my profile, there's nothing on there.

The mindset I had in place when I thought others could view it:
    I'm a work in progress and I'm going to make mistakes with my food choices.
    Though generally, I know where I'm detouring from my plan. This past week, I've been stressed out and eating way under my allotted calories and probably slowing my metabolism and weight loss. But sometimes things may need to be pointed out.

Also I guess it's fun trying to piece together someones week with their food diary.

Thank you xxx
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options

If I wanted advice on what to eat, I'd see a licensed nutritionist in real life, not take advice from whackadoodles on the interwebs.

^^ Bingo! Mine is open to my friends, but to the public its closed because if i comment on a forum then I dont need comments like "how can you post about dieting/exercise when you had a small butterfinger. blah blah blah"
    My friends on the other hand can see it because they have been there with me since I started and they understand tht sometimes you just want fruit loops. LOL

Thank you! xxx
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open to friends. I had it open to everyone at one time but changed it back to friends only.

My reasoning was that when everyone could view my food it would seem that people wanted me explain my choices and those people didn't matter to me. I posted a picture of cases of HFCS and liquid aspartame once because it turned my stomach to see how much of those things just one BK would be using... and someone went nitpicking through my diary trying to find examples of HFCS in my own diet... Not relevant to the thread or anything really...

Now, well I have wonderfully supportive friends that see to understand my outtlook on food and exercise. I don't get overly criticized for my choices and I get plenty of support.
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    I keep mine open to public because I dont have a problem sharing my food choices and so people can see that you can make real food options and maintain weight/lose weight. I'm not perfect and neither do I try to be.

Thank you xxx
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    I keep mine open to the public. I want people who are curious to see what i do. Also, I don't really give a rat's @$$ what people don't like about my choices.

I rarely look at others' diaries because I find a lot of crap food. Like eat 1 personal pizza and 3 sodas for the day and that's it. I don't eat enough veggies, but what I do eat on a daily basis is not found in the frozen food section.

Also, I have a dietitian who can just go to my diary and print it out so we can discuss.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Because I'm here for advice on exercise, not advice on eating :smile:

this
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options

I absolutley love this response!

Me too Jax xxx
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    Mine is open for friends only. I like to see what they eat and yes, it does give me ideas. It also keeps me accountable to those friends to eat what I'm supposed to. 9.8 times out of 10 I write what I'm eating- like today- I scarfed down cookies and yes it's on there- even showing my -480 calories. But it keeps it real for me. :ohwell:

Thank you xxx
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i had mine open from the day i started logging until about a week ago. i used to be kick-*kitten* at eating healthily, but then i started to fudge up a little bit. i started to overeat and have a plethora of weird and bad foods, then i'd be ashamed and not log those things, or just "quick-calorie" log them.
    i realized i shouldn't be compromising my accurate logging because i was embarrassed, but i couldn't help but feel embarrassed. so, for now, my diary is closed so i can log everything, be honest with myself, then open it up again when i'm back on track.
    it doesn't matter. people log for themselves, not for an audience. the only person you need to be honest with is yourself, and closing your diary to alleviate some pressure and to log accurately doesn't compromise any honesty.