thumbs up or down - counting condensed soup as water intake

Options

Replies

• chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Why are people always trying to get around drinking water?

I think the answer to that is because they really are wanting the fluids to suffice for meeting a goal rather than educating themselves in all the benefits of drinking plain water...
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Why are people always trying to get around drinking water?

Cause lots of people do not like plain water- I probably drink 6-10 glasses a day, as well as tea and coffee, but I firmly believe that the idea of needing 8 glasses of water (not tea, not coffee, not condensed soup) is myth. If you cant trust your thirst sensors - look at your pee.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
    ive also used the snopes link in the past, during these "should i count ____ as water?" threads.
    http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm is another good one.
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The level of misunderstanding displayed on this thread is deeply concerning to the point of disbelief.

If anyone wants to know whether they are consuming sufficient fluids, they only have to look at the colour of their urine. Google it for a colour chart and details.

The figure of eight cups a day was never intended as a recommendation for daily intake.

It can easily be dangerously insufficient for someone in a hot and humid climate, but it may be far far too much for someone who lives in a temperate zone.

Agreed!
  • dullnborin
    Options
    Why wouldn't crystal lite, tea, black coffee, etc., count toward your water intake? Is it literally "water" or is clear liquids?
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    First of all I can't believe this topic has gotten 3 pages of play so far. Secondly, I looked at your food diary. I would say that whether or not you count water added to condensed soup or not since is pointless since you seem to eat a diet of totally processed foods. Rice-a-roni for breakfast? Stouffers lasagna, loaded baked potato chips and on and on!!! Nothing in the way of lean proteins, fresh fruits and vegetables. You live in Kent CT, it is harvest season here, go out and get some locally grown produce and cook it!! You also say in your profile that there is nothing to do here but "sit in the shoppes" ...what on earth are you talking about???? Get outside and start walking, it is free and will start you on a path to better health.
  • livingwithlam
    Options
    Lol, this can't be a serious forum topic. It just can't.

Echoing the majority of posters above me: Only pure water in a glass is logged as water. Period.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    hmm would have to be "down" since some water eventually evaporates after cooking it with the condensed soup. Even then, the sodium content.. I would just consider it as a meal.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    No.... I don't really "count" my water intake though... I don't really see the point. I just drink water when I want to drink water, lol...
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    First of all I can't believe this topic has gotten 3 pages of play so far. Secondly, I looked at your food diary. I would say that whether or not you count water added to condensed soup or not since is pointless since you seem to eat a diet of totally processed foods. Rice-a-roni for breakfast? Stouffers lasagna, loaded baked potato chips and on and on!!! Nothing in the way of lean proteins, fresh fruits and vegetables. You live in Kent CT, it is harvest season here, go out and get some locally grown produce and cook it!! You also say in your profile that there is nothing to do here but "sit in the shoppes" ...what on earth are you talking about???? Get outside and start walking, it is free and will start you on a path to better health.

Have to agree here, but apparently her parents buy the food, and they are on benefits etc etc. Totally amazing excuse, I should maybe use it one day....

I
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up.

But I also count Skittles as water.

Don't be stupid.

Skittles count as rainbows, not water.

Duh.

You need water to make a rainbow, jeez!
    Now somebody go make me some skittles vodka. That is double water. :drinker:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Just because something contains water doesn't mean it should be logged as water, especially not foods.

I see a lot of folks who log their drinks, such as coffee, tea, lemonade or whatever as water, but for myself, I only log plain ol' water as water. :smile:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out this is a troll post. Stop getting so worked up about it, people!

Who cares if soup 'counts'? If you're dehydrated drink more, if you're not don't worry about it.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up.

Don't be stupid.

Duh.

You guys are AWESOME! :flowerforyou:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up.

Don't be stupid.

Duh.

I find that Skittles Vodka makes an excellent base for chicken noodle soup. Bonus is that after you finish a bowl, you've completed your water requirements for the day. I don't recommend going to back to the office after lunch tho.
  • dullnborin
    Options
    I am going to try again to ask an intellectual question and I ask that all the Question Critics bow out and all those willing to provide an intellectual response, pls respond.

Does your "water intake" strictly mean water or does it really mean "liquid intake" and includes clear liquids such as tea, black coffee, and crystal lite? If it does mean "water", pls explain the logic behind this. I would like to understand the reason for this if it is strictly water.

Not all of us are professional dieters and I know I have questions about the fine print. I'd like to think I can ask this forum without hesitation.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Some will tell you that it has to be water, not even tea of coffee counts. My research tells me you just need water in some form, it could be vegetables, and you don't have to have 8 glasses - that's an average - you might need more or less depending in your body, the weather, your activity and the position of the moon.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up.

Don't be stupid.

Duh.

Mind. Blown.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    No.
  • dullnborin
    Options
    Thank you. It has always been my understanding that the goal is hydration. I agree water is probably the most body-efficient, if you enjoy drinking water. I don't, hence my question.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up.

Don't be stupid.

Duh.

I find that Skittles Vodka makes an excellent base for chicken noodle soup. Bonus is that after you finish a bowl, you've completed your water requirements for the day. I don't recommend going to back to the office after lunch tho.

Hilarious. I also came back just to let everyone know that I don't actually measure how much water I drink in a day, I just drink a lot and my urine is almost clear. Never cloudy nor thick like condensed soup.