thumbs up or down - counting condensed soup as water intake

Options

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I am going to try again to ask an intellectual question and I ask that all the Question Critics bow out and all those willing to provide an intellectual response, pls respond.

Does your "water intake" strictly mean water or does it really mean "liquid intake" and includes clear liquids such as tea, black coffee, and crystal lite? If it does mean "water", pls explain the logic behind this. I would like to understand the reason for this if it is strictly water.

Not all of us are professional dieters and I know I have questions about the fine print. I'd like to think I can ask this forum without hesitation.
    i count water, soda, tea, coffee, milk, etc as my "water" intake. if im doing a broth based soup, sometimes ill add that as water too. id prefer it to say fluid intake because it all hydrates, but i understand why they chose water.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Lots of foods have water but we don't count it.
  • sonjarogers72
    sonjarogers72 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    DOWN! The sodium will eat you alive!!!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Thumbs down is my vote! Water intake for me is just that, water. Just because you add water to something or something has water in it doesn't mean that it is "water".
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    HUGE DOWN!
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thumbs down!
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The sodium in one can of soup will probably suck all the water right back out of your body.
    I list my 4C drink mixes as water (They're 10 calories and I get one a day) but they're not full of salt. :/
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The sodium in one can of soup will probably suck all the water right back out of your body.
    I list my 4C drink mixes as water (They're 10 calories and I get one a day) but they're not full of salt. :/

:huh: Where would the water go?
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

:huh: Where would the water go?

:drinker: :heart:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Thumbs down for sure!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Excessive sodium intake is not the boogeyman that it has been made out to be for many (most?) people. I put that advice right up there with the "eating fat will make you fat" mindset.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Excessive sodium intake is not the boogeyman that it has been made out to be for many (most?) people. I put that advice right up there with the "eating fat will make you fat" mindset.
    Agreed. Plus if people would just eat more whole foods the potassium would balance it out anyway.

Please don't anyone confuse my suggesting more whole foods to mean "eat clean", whatever the eff that means.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Plus if people would just eat more whole foods the potassium would balance it out anyway.

Please don't anyone confuse my suggesting more whole foods to mean "eat clean", whatever the eff that means.

Uh, for many people, "eat clean" means "eat whole foods".
  • future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Thumbs down
  • Cristofori44
    Options
    Why not? I count Gummi Bears as fruit.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up.

But I also count Skittles as water.

Don't be stupid.

Skittles count as rainbows, not water.

Duh.

You need water to make a rainbow, jeez!
    Now somebody go make me some skittles vodka. That is double water. :drinker:

I find that Skittles Vodka makes an excellent base for chicken noodle soup. Bonus is that after you finish a bowl, you've completed your water requirements for the day. I don't recommend going to back to the office after lunch tho.

:laugh:
  • Danayle
    Danayle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Down. It has a lot of sodium.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    In the hospital, we'd count it as fluid intake. We'd also be serving low sodium versions. However, we also count Popsicles, jello, and all fluids--juice, milk, coffee, soda, etc.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    Options

Agreed, but the American Heart Association is now recommending 1500mg a day for a heart healthy diet. I do monitor this, but don't freak out if I'm over.

If you normally eat 3-4grams a day of sodium, and then cut back, you likely will see a change in the scale due to water retention. Big deal, IMO.

If you normally eat that 1.5-2g per day of sodium, you won't see the fluctuations. If you're a person for whom this is a major big deal (scale fluctuations), then this might be something to watch so you don't drive yourself nuts.

I personally don't worry about it too much because my blood pressure tends to run low, even with being active. I'm happy to keep my systolic above 100. My husband, on the other hand, has hypertension and other risk factors, so as a result I'm more conscious of it to help support him.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    Options
    I am going to try again to ask an intellectual question and I ask that all the Question Critics bow out and all those willing to provide an intellectual response, pls respond.

Does your "water intake" strictly mean water or does it really mean "liquid intake" and includes clear liquids such as tea, black coffee, and crystal lite? If it does mean "water", pls explain the logic behind this. I would like to understand the reason for this if it is strictly water.

Not all of us are professional dieters and I know I have questions about the fine print. I'd like to think I can ask this forum without hesitation.

Liquids. All liquids count, but if you're drinking more than 5 caffeinated beverages a day this can be dehydrating and counter productive.