Healthy breakfast ideas. NEED YOUR FAVORITES.

Options

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    bacon & eggs : you can sub in turkey bacon and egg whites/egg beaters

pancakes : tons of recipes on here

wraps

muffins

fruit
  • bchase2500
    bchase2500 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1 egg with 2 egg whites, 1/2 cup black beans, 1 arnold sandwich thin (2 pieces), tabasco, coffee. Just over 300 calories!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I dive in with:
    3 tbsp of eggbeaters
    1 thomas' everything bagel thin
    1 morningstar sausage link
    1 tbsp fat free cream cheese
    1/2 gallon of sriracha.

190 calories, 17g of protein.

and then have dannon 2x protein yogurt around 10 or 10:30.
  • kjwillie
    kjwillie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hey! Great job taking the first steps on your journey to health and weight loss! It's definitely not an easy endeavor, but well worth it. I like simple, yummy, high protein breakfasts. How about a Greek yogurt with raspberries? You get the protein from the yogurt and fiber from the berries. You could also add some raw California almonds for added fiber to hold you over.

Feel free to add me! :-)
  • tamarama72
    tamarama72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always have a couple of egg whites, scrambled, with 1/2 c oatmeal. I add some fruit to the oatmeal and then for a little treat, I add about a tb of flavored coffee creamer to the oatmeal. It only adds a few calories (about 35) and adds so much flavor. I always feel like I have to have something sweet in the morning. If I am having a chocolate craving, I'll also add about 1/2 package of sugar free hot cocoa mix to the oatmeal.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    1st off - Welcome to MFP :-) Please feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like.

Generally i'm in a time crunch in the mornings, so i don't have time to really "cook" anything & it has to be portable so i can take it in the car. Often times i will have a banana & a Special K Protein Bar. This worked well for me & i found the 10 grams of protein really helped to keep me from being hungry before morning snack time :-)

Another thing that i've recently started experimenting with is smoothies. i've been trying to get away from "diet" coke and the artificial sugars but still need the caffeine to get going in the a.m. Generally i start with about 10 oz of water in the blender with a single serve vanilla latte mix, add 2 containers of light fat free yogurt (Publix Caramel is yummy!), then add about 10-12 ice cubes & blend well. That satisfies my need for caffeine & protein (LOL) without killing my calories! Total calories depending on which yogurt you choose is around 300.

Good luck in your healthy lifestyle choice :-)
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    While it's not necessarily 'healthy', the Morningstar "bacon", egg, and cheese biscuits (in your grocery freezer) are good for when you're craving a biscuit breakfast like I sometimes do. They're pretty filling, vegetarian, and takes away your fatty breakfast craving for about 270 cals.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is generally my larger meal of the day. I like to change it up a bit, but here are some ideas:

1. Bowl of old fashioned oatmeal with a sliced banana and some Greek yogurt mixed in.

2. Eggs over easy or poached on whole wheat toast

3. Egg white omelette with cheese and ham

4. Bowl of Uncle Sam cereal with almond milk and a grapefruit or mango.

5. Hi Fiber cinnamon raisin bread and some cottage cheese.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I only have 1 day a week (if I'm lucky) to eat a "real" breakfast of eggs, spinach, tomato & rice cheese. On the rest of the days, I have 2 favs that I turn to.

1 - Chobani Greek Yogurt (plain), 50-75g blueberries, a little cinnamon to taste & if you need the xtra sweetness a little Sugar in the Raw.
    2 - My other fav is Bakery On Main Instant Gluten Free Oatmeal, I mix in 50g blueberries & a shake of cinnamom.

Both options are filling & healthy - the reason for the cinnamon is to help regulate blood sugar as well.

If you workout in the AM, add a good protein shake (I like the pea proteins since I can mix with water & not add xtra calories) or keep raw almonds to snack on.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like 2 scrambled or fried eggs and a turkey sausage
    1/3 cup oats, 2 tbsp ground flax, some berries
    Overnight oats ( oats, flax, fruit, then add about 1 cup milk and put in the fridge, covered overnight. In the morning, eat :) )
    Smoothie
    Granola and milk
    Granola and yogurt with fruit
    Cereal and milk
  • jonibc
    jonibc Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oatmeal microwaved for 3 minutes at 60% power level. Then I mix in a few craisins and a tablespoon of sliced almonds. You can also chop up an apple into the raw oatmeal and cook it along with the oatmeal.

Greek yogurt and 1 tbsp of Smuckers Simply Fruit strawberry without seeds mixed in.

1 egg scrambled and 2 pieces of bacon (on weekends when I have more time).

I add coffee with half n half to all of my fav breakfasts and still come in around 300 calories.
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Eggs over easy,
    precooked bacon,
    veggie sausage,
    toast w/ fruit spread
    fruit

Obviously not everything in one morning but I mix and match with those.

Sometimes
    veggie and cheese omelet
    Egg, and cheese on an English muffin
    Chocolate Oatmeal (from Chocolate Covered Kate's website)
    French toast made with light bread
    If I'm completely crunched for time I will have a vitamuffin.

And always loads of coffee!
  • angeltg
    angeltg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and any fresh fruit sweetened with honey. Yummmy!!!!
  • m0pp3t
    m0pp3t Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bananas! I usually have 2-3 bananas for breakfast (eating them between 9-10 am) holds me over until lunch at 1:30 - 2PM.
  • allthismusic
    Options
    I get up at 3:30 AM for work and these things seem to work for me:

Scrambled tofu with tomatoes, spinach, and sometimes mushrooms or onions. I make this the night before and just microwave it in the morning.

Whey protein shake, one tablespoon of peanut butter

Quinoa made to resemble oatmeal with vanilla extract, almonds, and cinnamon. I also make this the night before.
  • Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    On Sunday nights I boil a dozen eggs for the week so in the morning on the way to work I grab two, plus a banana and some yogurt. Quick and easy out the door.
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    My spinach and tomato omelet is very very good and healthy (omit cheese and its VERY healthy)

this is for two people so adjust as you need to

i whip three eggs (sometimes i take out a yolk but not very offten)

i chop (this is optional but i think it is good) a couple green onions (scallions or chives) and add them to whipped eggs.

heat up large nonstick pan (no need for butter i promise) to med heat

also have next to stove a lid that fits pan, bottom side up, with about a tablespoon of water in the lid (i will explain later)

grate cheese (i like pepperjack with this) and slice tomato, i also like lemon pepper on the tomato, get spinach out also

whip eggs one last time to incorporate onions (if you did this) and pour into pan.

pick up the pan and roll the eggs around and up the side a little to get a good even layer to build omelet

then i wait about 30 seconds until egg's set just a little (dont worry they will get cooked through when we steam this)

now layer half of the pan with as much spinach as you can fit under the lid(remember it cooks down with the steam)

next add tomato slices (and avocado if you want) then sprinkle pepperjack grated cheese (@1/8 cup) over the half with spinach and toms

now its time to slide spatula under the un-topped half of the eggs to loosen it up, then pour the little bit of water (from your lid) under the egg, it will start to make steam and loosen the egg if its not already) close the lid on and cook for one minute. you can turn off the heat after 30 secs.

when you open the lid the spinach should have cooked down to a thinner layer with toms and melted cheese. this is perfect.

flip the un topped egg over the topped half.....voila you have a perfect healthy omelet. don't forget salsa on top for a real treat.

about 300-350 calories
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters with cheese and mushrooms put in the microwave!

I mix all three ingredients (you could put any veggies you want in it) and then put it in a bowl and put it in the microwave on high for 2 minutes. The bowl shape makes it come out in like an egg-patty type thing where it all sticks together and it conveniently fits on a piece of whole wheat toast! mmm my favorite. And sooo easy to make since there's only one dish.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I like to make high protein waffles. I'll make a big batch, then freeze them to put in the toaster, later. Then I add some sugar free syrup to them.

I also like to make oatmeal, Put some fruit in it, some walnuts, and top off with fat free whipped cream. Sometimes I will have it with a few scrambled eggs, sometimes a protein shake.

On workout days, when I can use a blender, I will usually have a protein shake with a frozen banana in it.
  • MonicaFlachman
    Options
    I like usin the egg beater substitute and making an ommelette without the cheese. I use onion and peppers and tastefully simple seasonings. Tastes awesome and low calorie :) I also enjoy my shakeology only 150 calories and full of super foods.