Steel Cut Oats Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• HMToomey
    Options
    Apples cinnamon and nutmeg, cinnamon and raisin, REAL maple syrup and toasted walnuts, Chocolate chips, graham crackers and marshmallow fluff (Don't judge, it's a great dessert), peaches and vanilla yogurt with added vanilla extract as an over night oat, Strawberries, just plain old cinnamon, I've also added food coloring to kids oatmeal so it was more fun for them. Play around with it! Experimenting is fun!
  • HMToomey
    Options
    Oh! And a tablespoon of peanut butter and a banana!
  • gina1971
    gina1971 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love steel cut oats! I like mine a little runny so I always add 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk and then one of the following combinations:
    - banana and walnuts
    - banana and PB2 (plain or chocolate)
    - dried cherries and 1Tbsp mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
    - trail mix
    - blueberries and pecans
    - pumpkin puree and pepitas
    ... and then whatever spices you like (cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, etc.) and little sweetener (stevia, honey, brown sugar, maple syrup) if you want/need it a little sweeter.
  • staceywtucaz
    staceywtucaz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For 1 cup oats I use 1cup water 3cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk 2T brown sugar cook for 20 minutes then add 1 banana sliced cook another 10 minutes divide into 4 portions refrigerate and add fresh berries to each portion after I reheat. Favorite breakfast!
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I butter, cinnamon, chocolate chips and sometimes sweetened coconut flakes.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I like diced apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, and butter extract.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Some milk, some fruit and vanilla protein powder.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Thank -you I got some great ideas!
  • 228lrt
    228lrt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie. 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1 cup almond milk, 1/4 cup steel cut oats, uncooked.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, (or any kind you prefer), honey, cinnamon and raisins.
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    We do savory over here, my toddler and I both love it! For two servings we put in a tbsp of butter from cows that have been on pasture (pastured butter is not unhealthy, and for the 1/2 tbsp per servings it's about 50cal), along with some chia seeds, and a dash of sea salt.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I love all these ideas. I just tried steel cut oats for the first time this morning and am definitely hooked. I like the texture much better than rolled oats, and it stayed with me forever!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Coconut flakes (if you don't mind the added fat). Quite tasty!

Ohhh great idea, I have tons of shredded coconut sitting around!
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    always cinnamon .. usually chia seeds or wheat germ ... and if i dont eat eggs ill mix protein powder in it