You must eat breakfast if you want to lose weight

Options

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Read the thing you posted from the NCSA.......

duno what to say.........just no........

Skipping a single meal doesn't have that affect..............otherwise people who are doing IF wouldn't be losing weight ......
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    There's no advantage for weight loss. It's purely a personal preference.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. I don't like eating breakfast in the morning, but if I don't...by 10:30AM every bag of potato chips in a 5 mile radius is in danger. lol :)

I'm that sort of menace, and it doesn't matter what time it is or what I had for breakfast.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the whole OP because the subject line and first few sentences were just too silly. There are NO "musts" in weight loss.

You MUST eat a calorie deficit under TDEE for weight loss.

As someone already pointed out, this is not true. Just as eating less than TDEE is no guarantee of weight loss.

He didn't say it's a guarantee. He said it's a precondition.

must    /mʌst/ [muhst] auxiliary verb
    1. to be obliged or bound to by an imperative requirement: I must keep my word.
    2. to be under the necessity to; need to: Animals must eat to live.
    3. to be required or compelled to, as by the use or threat of force: You must obey the law.
    4. to be compelled to in order to fulfill some need or achieve an aim: We must hurry if we're to arrive on time.
    5. to be forced to, as by convention or the requirements of honesty: I must say, that is a lovely hat.

Umm your point?
    All those definitions prove my point - it's a precondition, NOT a guarantee.
    ie. just because an animal eats doesn't mean it will live. Its head might get bitten off by a cougar. But if it doesn't eat at all it certainly won't live.

Nice try but come again.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Umm your point?

That was my thought too. The poster was agreeing with you.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Sorry but I disagree. Yes most people should eat breakfast but it doesn't really do anything for weight loss.

I often miss breakfast with medication that makes me a little sickly in the mornings and just consume extra during the day to catch up on calories and I have lost over 50lbs.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If I eat when I wake up, I end up eating way more throughout the day than if I wait to have breakfast until I'm hungry.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    this thread is full of so much fail............

:bows out:
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I disagree also. I go from dinner the night before to eating my first meal about 12:30 the next day. I was an EVERY DAY breakfast eater, religiously, my whole life. I also got up to 265+ lbs. during that time. Now, I don't eat breakfast but eat in a roughly 7-8 hour window and it's much easier on me. Love not having to think about food until mid day! Love not being hungry until after my noon work out. win-win for me. To each his/her own though, if breakfast works for you, awesome.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Read the thing you posted from the NCSA.......

duno what to say.........just no........

Skipping a single meal doesn't have that affect..............otherwise people who are doing IF wouldn't be losing weight ......

Did you ever stop to think that maybe they are losing weight, but they could lose more if they followed this paper? I have in the past lost weight skipping breakfast, but i think i have been more successful losing what I want to when i put breakfast back into my diet. I do know that since i started not fasting, the impact the gym has on my muscles is much greater. Perhaps they are ALSO losing muscle mass which, in turn will not allow them to burn the fat quite as fast.
  • jvdx
    jvdx Posts: 57
    Options

a lot of people seem to have graduated with a Broscience PhD.
    time to bail
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Umm your point?

I was just pointing out how what the guy said about having to eat less than TDEE isn't necessarily wrong and he wasn't saying it's a guaranteed way to lose weight. It's just that if you don't eat less, then you're not going to lose weight. But actually for someone with normal health and metabolism, I can't see how eating less than TDEE won't result in weight loss. Oh well I'm too tired I gotta go for a walk or something now.
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary to eat breakfast in order to lose weight but I think it might help you from binging at lunch. I actually forgot mine at home today so I had to do without. I was hungry, but no biggie....
  • HelenaHN
    Options
    Why is everyone so agressive in their answers? This seems a competition on who is right and who isn't.
    All my life I've heard the OP's statement that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day." and since I was 15 or so I've not eaten breakfast on the regular. Every once in a while I'll get a wild hare up the bum and eat it...but...for the most part its been a latte from the coffee shop on the way to class or work for many years. I've been every weight from 117 to 260 without breakfast, up and down the scale several times. Breakfast does not make one skinny.

I tend to bank my calories for later in the day. I work with a pretty set in stone routine in the morning and it does not include eating. Just the latte. And I can usually make it till 1 or 2pm before I start to even feel hungry. Part of my weight loss successes have been banking calories till later in the evening so I don't end up binging on crap at night and ruining my intake. If I go home, eat dinner and still have 400 calories to play with I'm more likely to succeed at the calories in vs calories out numbers game.

breakfast does usually screw up my daily numbers. They end up bottom heavy and then, around 8pm when I'm feeling all snicksnacky I get HANGRY. I'd rather be able to eat a damn cookie at 11pm then eat some "lean protein" at 7am.

I understand you, cause in my case it's just the opposite. 200-300 calories for breakfast help me not to stay way under my calorie goal at the end of the day, cause in the afternoon I'm not hungry at all. I couldn't imagine my food diary without that meal, I would be under 1000 calories!
  • AngryDiet
    Options

time to bail

Interesting. It is hard to know who has the proper formal education in nutrition, and who is the amateur here.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

time to bail

Interesting. It is hard to know who has the proper formal education in nutrition, and who is the amateur here.

Hint: The OP is an amateur.
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You are proof-positive that what works for some will not work for others. Congrats on your huge loss! :glasses:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    See how many books with differing advice were publishing in the last 60 days??? And every one of them has "studies" to back them up. Do yourself a favor, and look closely at the conditions of the studies and see if you're still a true believer in *any* study, whether it supports your position or not.

This is true. Any crap book can cite journal articles. You need to read the actual studies to see if they match what the book is trying to say. What are the conditions? Are there multiple studies that support the conclusion? What limitations are discussed?

Of course, this is hard to do if you don't have a background in science and haven't had any statistics courses. Which means you need to be choosy about what books you read. Do some research online for critiques. In the meantime, remember that citations of scientific studies in books may not mean anything.
  • HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Umm your point?

I was just pointing out how what the guy said about having to eat less than TDEE isn't necessarily wrong and he wasn't saying it's a guaranteed way to lose weight. It's just that if you don't eat less, then you're not going to lose weight. But actually for someone with normal health and metabolism, I can't see how eating less than TDEE won't result in weight loss. Oh well I'm too tired I gotta go for a walk or something now.

I was just pointing out that I agreed with your point!