I want to give up!

Options
On September 10, I started really getting serious with my weight loss goal. I have gotten up at 5am every week day and have worked out. I work out later in the day on Saturday, and Sunday is my rest day. Some days I work out twice, and also get one or two 15 minute walks in durring the work day. I have logged in on MFP, and stayed pretty close to my calorie goal. I gained 2 pounds in the first week. I dropped those 2 mystery pounds, but now exactly where I started 14 days ago. I have no progress. No pounds down, no inches lost. I am not a morning person at all. It is HUGE that I get up at 5am to do these work outs (Hip Hop Abs). I want to quit! I feel like I'm doing all this hard work for nothing.

Replies

• RMCoffey
    Options
    What kinds of foods are you eating?

Think about it like this - if you give up, then what??? You'll be even more unhappy!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Don't quit. If morning workouts are too difficult for you to maintain, then change your program. Work out in the evening. Walk on your breaks at work. Don't stop. Progress doesn't happen overnight but you will never gain anything if you give up now.
  • Bjj_girl12
    Options
    Try to remember two things,
    1) You didn't put on the weight over night, so it wont come off over night
    2) You could be adding muscle, which could have the scale at a stand still. Try taking measurements to see if you've lost inches.

You might also have to play around with what works for you in your food. Maybe you're not eating enough, or you're eating too much. It takes time to find the right equation of everything.
  • cloe31
    cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal might be too high for you. What is your calorie range?
  • miltongurl05
    miltongurl05 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Don't quit, hun! Sometimes it is harder for certain people to lose weight and tone than others. I'm sure with the exercise you are gaining muscle. Have you been drinking plenty of water? What kinds of food are you eating? Some foods that seem healthy in a certain area may, in fact, be unhealthy. Just know you have support out here! We are all in this together and we will help you to succeed the best we can!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You're not going to lose inches in 14 days of your plan. Lots of people don't lose anything for the first several weeks.
  • Danette73
    Options
    You said "pretty close to your calorie goal" .. wha tdoes that mean? What are you eating? Make sure you get in plenty of fruits and veggies, cut out the salts. Drink LOTS of water!!! Not everyone is the same so weight lose will be different too. If you are exercising, getting in good foods, water... it will happen. Don't quit now!! You can do it!! :smile:
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Diet maybe needs revamped. Also, maybe do more cardio? My mom works out like 2 hours a day but she has a terrible diet - so she in turn is not losing, but gaining. Stress is bad for weight loss too - stop looking in the mirror or even weighing for a week and you will see results! Lots of water - and yeah you are close to your calorie goal but what exactly ARE you eating? 2000 calories can be of fast food or delish veggies - I cant see your diary so im not sure! :)
  • lundii
    lundii Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!
    I needed six weeks to see the first results...
    After four weeks I was about giving up, when I suddenly noticed, that I could tighten my belt... two weeks later my weight loss started.
    I lost about 55 lbs in six months...
    So... stay on track... you will have success!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Give it more time! Are you weighing yourself at the same time each day? 2 pounds in general can be a fluctuation. I personally can be 8 pounds heavier in the evening than I am in the morning!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Never give up. Never surrender!
  • roguestates
    Options
    Ease into this process. You're doing too much, too fast. Develop a routine and an eating plan that is sustainable for you. Not a morning person? Don't work out in the AM.

Weight loss is not linear. Your weight will fluctuate or stay the same depending on time of day, month, what you've eaten, sodium, whether you've worked out recently.

Really though, how can you quit yourself? Being healthy is a goal in and of itself. Weightloss is a side benefit.
  • YvieQueezy
    Options
    Oh!!! Don't give up!
    Maybe you should try working out in the evening instead of the morning! Then maybe you won't dread it so much! It's a lot easier to do when you're enjoying it!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating back your exercise calories?
    What deficit have you set?
    How are you working out calories burnt?

The consensus seems to be that MFP tends to over-guess your exercise calories, so it could be that you're eating back more than you should. On a small deficit this may not be great.
  • MissJenova
    Options
    My instant thought with these threads are "Are you eating enough."

Make sure you're not at a large deficiet when you are working out that much. You need to eat more to lose weight sometimes. It's hard to say when I cannot see your diary (no pressure to make it public), but keep in mind that not eating enough may be the problem.

If you are discouraged, look at this program differently. Look at it as a way to be healthy and track your nutrients and activity levels. It's all trial and error and it's a life long process. It won't be easy or quick, but it will be oh so worth it.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is NOT really enough time to see a realistic change (actual fat, not water weight fluctuations.) It took me several MONTHS, literally, before I saw any loss that continued and I could tell I was really losing weight. You have to trust in the process, that OVER TIME, the small changes you make every day ADD UP. Give it time to work.

Also, the "best" program is one you can stick with. SO if morning workouts are difficult enough that you're unlikely to continue, you need to find a better time.

Good luck!
  • jgm379
    jgm379 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I worked out at least 50 min. a day for 4 weeks and gained 6lbs. I finally had to add more of a diet in with my exercising. I now eat 1200 calories a day and cut out almost all of my fat intake. I have now lost a total of 10lbs in 3 weeks. Some people just have to go to extra extremes. When you cut your calories this low you also have to find foods that make you feel full and provide energy. This is what worked for me.
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was just reading this on Jillian Michael's page, "take a minute to think about what the scale is NOT telling you — like what a strong and healthy individual you're becoming. Do you have more endurance? Have you lost inches from your waist? Do you look better in your clothes? Don't be a slave to the scale." Hope it helps!!
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Seriously, don't give up. Here's the way I look at it: Even if I don't lose the weight I want, exercise is good for my body. There is no way around that. And it definitely doesn't hurt to keep doing it, even if you're not losing right now. Keep plugging away at it, and try to modify your diet a bit to see what makes you lose. And even if that doesn't work, doctors recommend that you exercise most days, so like I said before, it's doing you good no matter what.
  • debbiemarie210
    debbiemarie210 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! The two mysterious pounds could have been muscle mass or water retention. As long as you are reducing your caloric intake and ramping up the exercise, you will lose the weight. Right now, you may have a sluggish metabolism but this will change with proper eating habits and a consistent workout plan. Be patient with yourself and you will see the results. You deserve to see this through to the end, when your utlimate goal has been reached. Believe me, you may feel bad now, but you will feel a lot worse if you give up now. Just my two cents of encouragement. : )