Fact or Fiction? Starvation mode?

Options
12346»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The thing is... the fact that people with anorexia or the often mentioned starving kids in Africa aren't dead yet is proof that the body adapts and slows down. They don't lose as much weight as you'd expect one to lose on the tiny amount of food they consume, because the body adapts and slows down.

It's not some excuse gluttonous pigs like me made up to eat more. It's how the human body is designed to survive famine. The body doesn't know the difference between a failed harvest, a long winter and a diet. It just knows it's not getting the food it needs to maintain the current weight, so it will get rid of what it needs to keep surviving. If you're not giving it the right fuel, it will get rid of whatever it takes to keep going. Like a pilot in an airplane that's low on fuel... it could be carrying crates of gold ingots, but if it's losing altitude and going to crash unless it lightens it's load, it's going to dump that gold no matter how valuable it is. Your body will do the same thing to lean mass.

All weight loss is not created equal. That's why getting proper nutrition and exercise, especially resistance training, is so important. If none of that mattered, we could just be put in a coma and tube fed until we reached the ideal weight.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Starvation mode or not if you eat too little you will be miserable I would rather be happy and comfortable:laugh: !!!!
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    True "starvation mode" is when your body begins to burn lean muscle for fuel, due to a lack of fuel availability elsewhere, either in calories consumed, or stored in fats. It is an actual thing, and it does not happen until you're as lean as you can be - about 6% body fat for men. So most of us here don't need to worry about that kind of starvation mode.

However, it's still true that if you consistently net less than your body needs to function, your body will assume this is the "new normal" and compensate by slowing metabolic function. It'll still burning fat for fuel, but your rate of weight loss will slow. This is not "starvation mode," but it's usually what people mean when they talk about it here.

^^ Best explanation. Ever. Thread over.
  • tarnishedsilver14
    Options
    Starvation mode is partially true. Your metabolism WILL slow down as you lose weight and eat less, but not a significant amount. It also takes 72 hours for you metabolism to being slowing down...
  • drewg40
    drewg40 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I "starve" myself then I will lose weight and be miserable......for me if I lose weight to fast I will put it back on just as fast.....It's all about changing eating habits not fast weight loss....but as I saw earlier in this thread to each his own......I enjoy eating to much to cut my calories too drastically.....
  • Sheirai
    Sheirai Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes, this, and add to it the muscle loss, which results in slower metabolism. It has also been my experience that when I calorie restrict too much, my overall energy level is lower, and so I move less during my usual daily activities, resulting in a lower burn when I'm not working out, and I probably don't work out as hard, either. (besides the fact, that when I'm extremely hungry, I'm more likely to be tempted to eat junk....cake for breakfast today-oops.) And VLC diets don't build new habits, which are essential if weight loss is going to be maintained.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I don;t know if it's truth or myth but I know from my own experience that when eating low cal for long time, weight loss will eventually stop and very hard (almost impossible) to break.

I always remember my Dr informing me that no fat people came out of Belsen or even Biafra, or the Sudan today. Lower cal in than cals used must result in weight loss, not maybe the ideal kind, but still weight loss

Well I disagree with the idea re fat people didn't come out of Belsen etc as this is what my doc told me and stuck me on a 700 cal diet, which nearly killed me, caused liver damage! Now I am on MFP and upped my cals to 1200 I am starting to lose weight And No I haven't changed the food I ate before just having more of it. So call it what you want but there is definitely something going on if you eat too little, ask my GP who is now putting other people on higher cals and seeing good results with them too!

Fear Monger. Eating less does not cause liver damage. However, eating more does and it's called a fatty liver at stage one. Most likely your liver was already screwed up from being obese or an alcoholic.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Okay - well, today I did a concert so clocked up 3 hours of choir standing singing and had some lovely desserts at lunch and tea so got up to 1800 (out of a goal of 2000) We'll see if the morning brings weight loss or gain
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Yes, I actually read Keys' volumes of The Biology of Human Starvation when I checked it out from the library. One of the hallmark findings in his experiment is the less one eats, the less you must continue to eat to induce further potential weight loss. However, Keys stated, despite individually reducing their caloric intake in an attempt to get all men to lose 25% of their weight, the men stopped losing at week twenty regardless of how low their intake became. Thus, at this precise point of semi-starvation does your body resist further weight loss which he deemed the body's survival mechanism against times of famine. This is also the fundamental principle of semi-starvation, or "starvation mode", that people often misinterpret. Needless to say, only a very few cases on MFP would even fall into this dire category of chronic calorie restriction.
    I'm not sure if you actually read the experiment you referred to but those guys kept losing weight until their bodies looked like the picture below so it really doesn't support the assumption that your body will hold onto your fat when you do a starvation diet. Obviously, the picture below is scary but knowing when to stop and eating at maintenance is the key and 14% body fat is a good stopping point for those trying to cut fat.
  • Fringe11
    Options
    What those are missing here that are in favour of the starvation mode point of view,
    Is one simple thing.... actual medical research that support there view..

In my earlier posts I gave references to research debunking starvation mode. Yet we have none that gave references to research for the support of starvation mode..

Although, some have posted research papers relating to the “Minnesota experiment” .In an attempt o use this as an example to prove the existence of starvation mode..
    “Minnesota Experiment”
    TIP … next time you post a document make sure you read the paper first... this experiment “Minnesota experiment “was not to determine starvation mode, one way or another.
    • The experiment focused on a severely calorie reduced diet some 50% on … NORMAL ( not on the overweight or those with large fat reserves)
    • The participants entered “starvation” NOT the starvation mode that is so often referred to here. YES... the participants BMR decreased dramatically”
    o WHY … because they were so emancipated and the severe loss of muscle. This meant they not longer had the tissue mass to support a normal BMR.

1. Let separate the facts:
    Normal- Light- Thin people
    Light to thin people who are on a calorie reduction due forced or unforced circumstances (possible famine or disease ...etc) will at some point deplete all the fat reserves.
    a. If they continue the will enter starvation….. They will then being to burn muscle as a food source.
    b. Lower muscle mass… means simply smaller engine to burn any fuel put in
    c. If you now have smaller engine then yes you require less fuel and lower BMR than what you started from...
    d. At some point if the loss of muscle mass continues you will die! ....FROM - “STARVATION “ NOT…. starvation mode as referred to here!

2. Let separate the facts:
    Over WIEGHT or Obese
    OBESE and Over weight people who are on a calorie reduction due to UNFORCED circumstances (Dieting, Gastric bypass ...fitness program ..etc) will continue to:
    a. Deplete fat reserves whilst large amounts fat is available.
    b. The rate of depletion of fat reserves will be governed by calorie deficit , individual BMR (basal metabolic rate) and of course TEE(Total energy expenditure)
    c. The BMR will decrease very slightly as your fitness increases as the body does not need to work as hard.
    d. Leptin production is KEY to continual weight loss …. Therefore most important part of continual weight loss is DIET formulation (types of foods) that does not inhibit Leptin production “
    e. Leptin is the trigger for the body to use it fat reserves for fuel”
    f. LG (Low glycaemic) foods will aid in Leptin activation... Low GI = 55 or less
    g. If your fat reserves are below the recommended BMI ( Body Mass Index) then don’t diet there NO Need
    i. Exercise and the right diet will maintain your weight and will you will see the real you!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    True "starvation mode" is when your body begins to burn lean muscle for fuel, due to a lack of fuel availability elsewhere, either in calories consumed, or stored in fats. It is an actual thing, and it does not happen until you're as lean as you can be - about 6% body fat for men. So most of us here don't need to worry about that kind of starvation mode.

However, it's still true that if you consistently net less than your body needs to function, your body will assume this is the "new normal" and compensate by slowing metabolic function. It'll still burning fat for fuel, but your rate of weight loss will slow. This is not "starvation mode," but it's usually what people mean when they talk about it here.

That is absolutely the best explanation I've ever seen about it. Thank you!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Okay - well, today I did a concert so clocked up 3 hours of choir standing singing and had some lovely desserts at lunch and tea so got up to 1800 (out of a goal of 2000) We'll see if the morning brings weight loss or gain

ONE KILO GAIN - OVERNIGHT!
    Pah! So much for starvation mode - or will the adherents of this quaint historically denied theory allege that the past week of sub-1000 has so mortified my ability to metabolise that it will take few days of such "over-eating" to put things back to "normal"?