Not losing any weight despite what MFP says?

Options
I have been stuck at the same weight for months now no matter what I do. I try to eat around 1,200-1,400 calories a day and my macros are set to 35C/35P/30F. Plus I try workout a couple times a week along with 3 days of dance team practice that is usually around 2.5 hours long. I do let myself have treats every once in a while but if it fits in my macros. MFP says at the end of the day that I should be losing on average 1.5-2 lbs a week but my weight will not budge. Any help?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're 5'8" and 115LBS?
    I think your body is trying to tell you something.
  • siriusalien
    Options
    You're 5'8" and 115LBS?

^ This^
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Set your weight loss goal to half a pound a week. At so close to goal, you can't cut enough to lose 1.5 to 2 pounds a week. And, a goal of 110 pounds for your height does seem to be a bit low. How did you choose that goal? It may not be a healthy weight for you.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You're 5'8" and 115LBS?

Absolutely.
  • abirkel
    Options
    I didn't even realize that you were 5'8" and 115 lbs. In that case, I amend my previous post to: DEFINITELY eat more. You do not need to lose any more weight. Eat at maintenance and focus on building muscle.
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    When I used to eat normally my body maintained 110 lbs. I have a pretty small bone structure, I can overlap my pinky and my thumb around my wrist. But when I got into some bad eating habits I really screwed up my metabolism and then began to eat garbage and it made me gain, so I would just like to get back to my normal weight. My doctors always said that I was healthy at 110 so I don't need any lectures please. Just some advice on why I'm stuck.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Okay, well at 18, you are still maturing and 110 is not always going to be your ideal weight. But see my earlier post, set your goal to half a pound a week loss and work on that.
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    I just checked my goals and my projected weight loss says .8 lbs/week with my net at 1,400 cals. But I never eat back my exercise calories because I always felt that kind of defeats the purpose of working out? So my net usually is around 800
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When I used to eat normally my body maintained 110 lbs. I have a pretty small bone structure, I can overlap my pinky and my thumb around my wrist. But when I got into some bad eating habits I really screwed up my metabolism and then began to eat garbage and it made me gain, so I would just like to get back to my normal weight. My doctors always said that I was healthy at 110 so I don't need any lectures please. Just some advice on why I'm stuck.

Are you unhealthy at 115 lbs? I really can't image 5 lbs makes any noticable difference on a 5'8" frame but if you want to lose it and you are now maintaining you may just need to play around with your calories a bit. Setting your loss at 2 lbs per week with only 5 lbs to go probably isn't a good idea. I'd suggest setting it to lose .5 lbs per week, log all food and exercise and eat pretty close to what MFP suggests (including the extra calories from exercise).
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    netting 800 calories is not enough when you're only 115 lbs. please eat more but make good choices. hope this helps
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I just checked my goals and my projected weight loss says .8 lbs/week with my net at 1,400 cals. But I never eat back my exercise calories because I always felt that kind of defeats the purpose of working out? So my net usually is around 800

Eating so few net calories is not going to fix a "screwed up" metabolism.
  • deksgrl
    Options

You eat them back because MFP sets your calorie goal to lose weight *without* exercising. You need fuel for the amount you work out.

If you were using any other conventional "diet", then you would be eating more calories than you are now, but that includes the amount you would need for workouts.
  • Imserene
    Options
    I agree that your body is trying to tell you something. I'm 5'3" and weigh 115 lbs and I am a very thin...at 5'8" you must be model thin and that's fine as long as you're healthy. Others opinions of you won't matter at all if you truly love yourself and accept yourself for who you are not what you look like. Only then you will be comfortable in your own skin and then whatever you do for diet and excercise will be about taking care of your body and mind. Instead of trying to make yourself outwardly perfect because you think that if you look a certain way you will feel comfortable in your own skin. Some of being comfortable with yourself just comes with age. I like yoga, meditation and prayer to help with feelings of inadequacy. I have never felt more comfortable in my own skin. It only took 38 years! Do whatever you do for you and your well being not for others you will never be able to please everyone and absolutely no one is perfect! Best of luck to you:heart:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My doctors always said that I was healthy at 110 so I don't need any lectures please. Just some advice on why I'm stuck.

If you're accurate on calories consumed (Get a food scale for the best accuracy) then look at your macros. Try to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, eat low-glycemic carbohydrates (Drop the junk food), and exercise. Do you have a strength training routine or are you just doing cardio? Try doing fasted cardio in the morning (before you eat) or put your cardio at the end of a strength training routine. You're pretty close to goal so you're going to need to do some "tricks" to squeeze out that last bit of weight. Don't expect overnight results. Don't make adjustments to your calorie intake unless you're stuck for 2-3 weeks. Keep eating good and clean, keep exercising.

I realize that your metabolism will be lower when you're 115 but I don't subscribe to the starvation mode talk you see around here. Your body requires food so you won't magically stop burning calories at 115. This is basic calories eaten vs. calories burned. Adding a good challenging exercise routine is the best way to keep your metabolism running higher. Besides, you want to be slim and fit, not slim and flabby. Pick up some heavy stuff a couple times a week.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Eating back some of your calories does not defeat the purpose of weight loss... it is fueling your body for your activity level. I will use myself as an example.

I am 33 - Female - 5'2"
    My Daily Calorie Burn is about 2100-2200 calories per day (no exercise, sitting at my desk all day at the computer)
    If I exercise my Daily burn raises to 2300-3100 depending on what I did for the day.
    I eat anywhere from 1500-2500 calories a day to maintain between a 500-1000 calories deficit per day which has me losing between 1-1.5 pounds a week most weeks.
    I bought a BodyMedia Fit so I know what my daily calorie burn is. If you are burning alot of calories per day between LIVING and EXERCISE you need to fuel your body to be able to keep up.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Your body changes quite a lot even as you have passed puberty. And that could just be it.

You'd probably do better eating your exercise calories back AND only trying to lose a pound a week.

And don't be frustrated if you don't lose it at all. As you may not. If you're body has gone through any changes, this may be your new low normal.
  • jamface11
    Options
    I would say with so little to lose, move to 0.5lbs/week. Enjoy your extra calories with healthy high protein foods and lift heavy :)
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if this comes off rude... but I honestly fail to see how 115 lbs is unhealthy for you? For my height, which is 5'4, the lowest I should "technically" weigh is 104-110. If you're 4" taller, I can't see how you're anything but at a healthy weight. I understand personal preference...I just don't see why you're so determined if you're absolutely healthy.
  • xxMyWeighxx
    Options
    I agree with most of these people - I don't think you belong on sites like this. You're healthy & at a good weight. Not trying to be mean.