Not losing any weight despite what MFP says?

Options

Replies

• staciva
    staciva Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ok, I AM a doctor and your body is definitely trying to tell you something. By restricting too much you put your metabolism into starvation mode and your body will hold on to every last calorie. AND it will start to break down muscle which may be why you 'cant add muscle'. In the end, you have to remember that our bodies change as we get older. Hormones will shift. As a young woman, you should do what you can now to maximize your bone density - meaning: lift weights! Women stop absorbing calcium efficiently in our late 20's/early 30's so anything you cando to make your bones strong now will help you in the decades to come. Also, please remember that weight is just a number. Fitness is a better judge of health. If you truly think you need to lose more weight, I would suggest reading an article or two on Body Dysmorphic Syndrome. You may find some tendencies you can relate to. I wish you all the best and hope you take this as suggestions from a professional and by no means a criticism.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    PS: when I was your age I was 5'6" and about 94LBS. My doctors knew I was underweight, but didn't say anything until my mom asked. In my case it was just sports and a good metabolism. I was at normal weight within a year. The doctor did offer to put me on supplements, but we agreed to wait and see what the year brought.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you look fine to me. It doesn't sound like you need to lose and you just need to keep eating what you like and learn to be happy with yourself.

Keep exercising, keep eating, I'm sure you are quite beautiful.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have been stuck at the same weight for months now no matter what I do. I try to eat around 1,200-1,400 calories a day and my macros are set to 35C/35P/30F. Plus I try workout a couple times a week along with 3 days of dance team practice that is usually around 2.5 hours long. I do let myself have treats every once in a while but if it fits in my macros. MFP says at the end of the day that I should be losing on average 1.5-2 lbs a week but my weight will not budge. Any help?

Well I'm not telling you what to do, but none of that worked for me. Macros don't matter, clean does not matter (although I used to be a 100% organic fanatic) and some people ask me if calories are all that matter why do I eat so clean (except tonight I'm having ice cream - I think I had it once before this year so far). I am eating the ice cream within my calorie budget. But this is easier to do because I'm under 12% body fat now. To me all that matters is enough protein and carbs to fuel my tough workouts and the rest is fruits and veggies because I love those things. I don't plan anything, I just eat what I feel (within my calorie budget) like keeping my mind on what will make me feel good at the gym and sleep good at night.

I shoot for 10% lower than I want my budget to be because there is ALWAYS error and it's usually on the higher side.

You might need to notch your calories down by 100 until you find what works.

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban from The Venus Index Calorie Manual

Even when you eat the right amount of calories:

You body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Again I'm not telling anyone to eat less, but EATING LESS DID WORK FOR ME --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
    Have you read ANYTHING in this thread? Or are you just hawking your wares. Lord.
  • jb83
    jb83 Posts: 38
    Options
    When I get stuck, I always seem to start losing again when I start lifting weights more. Also, you mentioned you don't eat calories you burn from working out? Give that a try. When I'm not eating enough calories, I stop losing too.
  • kidcole11
    kidcole11 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just drink lots of water to flush out your sodium and also try to keep sodium low and this should help.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Eat more!
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yea 5'8 & 115 is really thin.. I'm 5'0 and my GW is 105 but even at 115 I look thin at 5'0
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have been stuck at the same weight for months now no matter what I do. I try to eat around 1,200-1,400 calories a day and my macros are set to 35C/35P/30F. Plus I try workout a couple times a week along with 3 days of dance team practice that is usually around 2.5 hours long. I do let myself have treats every once in a while but if it fits in my macros. MFP says at the end of the day that I should be losing on average 1.5-2 lbs a week but my weight will not budge. Any help?

Well I'm not telling you what to do, but none of that worked for me. Macros don't matter, clean does not matter (although I used to be a 100% organic fanatic) and some people ask me if calories are all that matter why do I eat so clean (except tonight I'm having ice cream - I think I had it once before this year so far). I am eating the ice cream within my calorie budget. But this is easier to do because I'm under 12% body fat now. To me all that matters is enough protein and carbs to fuel my tough workouts and the rest is fruits and veggies because I love those things. I don't plan anything, I just eat what I feel (within my calorie budget) like keeping my mind on what will make me feel good at the gym and sleep good at night.

I shoot for 10% lower than I want my budget to be because there is ALWAYS error and it's usually on the higher side.

You might need to notch your calories down by 100 until you find what works.

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban from The Venus Index Calorie Manual

Even when you eat the right amount of calories:

You body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Again I'm not telling anyone to eat less, but EATING LESS DID WORK FOR ME --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
    Have you read ANYTHING in this thread? Or are you just hawking your wares. Lord.

YES, and we have no idea of her height. She eats 1200-1400 calories a day, she said! What is her height. If she is short that is too much. It is not a deficit.
    She's 18, 5"8 and 115 and trying to lose. It's been stated several times, and is in her profile. Her "18 years old" profile.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    When I used to eat normally my body maintained 110 lbs. I have a pretty small bone structure, I can overlap my pinky and my thumb around my wrist. But when I got into some bad eating habits I really screwed up my metabolism and then began to eat garbage and it made me gain, so I would just like to get back to my normal weight. My doctors always said that I was healthy at 110 so I don't need any lectures please. Just some advice on why I'm stuck.

i can also overlap my pinky and thumb around my wrist. i am 5'4 140lbs.

you need to eat more definitely, dont focus on the weight though. you should focus on building muscle if you want to "tone up"
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    You're 5'8" and 115LBS?
    I think your body is trying to tell you something.
    Yep!

Just keep enjoying your beautiful dancing and keep eating and learn to be happy with yourself. I think you would find a beginning weight training routine for women helpful.

If it encourages you please know that lifting will help you enjoy your dancing later in life. I just got my DXA scan done for bone density testing and it shows at 51.5 I have the bone density of a super fit 30 year old. I can probably do what ever activities I like for the rest of my life because of this. The earlier you get this in your routine the better off you will be.

I wish you the best precious young lady.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You're 5'8" and 115LBS?

yes please
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Net of 800 calories is not healthy.

If I were you, I would stop focussing on weight loss, eat more, weight lift, and work on body composition.
  • jehuster
    Options
    You're 5'8" and 115LBS?

^ This^

^This^ and your Macros only add up to 95 (35+35+30 = 95)
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Idk I'd have to see a picture. U never know with weight fat likes to deposit wherever it pleases I can agree with that lol. But my boyfriend is underweight and taking medication to gain weight and he is 6ft and 125... I just can't imagine u would have to lose I agree with the person stating you should tone up if anything maybe inches is your goal and not lbs
  • Thin1979
    Options
    I think you are perfect. I wish I weighed 115 pounds. I think the last time I saw that weight, I was 9 years old. I know we all have to be comfortable in our skin whatever that weight is...but really I dont think you need to worry too much.
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    You're 5'8" and 115LBS?

^ This^

Seriously? Not to be rude but 35+35=70. 70+30=100....

And I'm going to try to eat some of my exercise calories back and see how that goes for a while. In addition to doing more weight lifting. While I keep saying I want to lose more, I know I have a number obsession and I would be perfectly fine if my weight did not reach my "goal" but my body was better. I'm really just wanting to gain some muscle mass and lose the leftover stubborn fat, which will probably happen with the lifting.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    You. Are. Underweight.

You. Do. Not. Need. To. Lose. More.

If you don't want to be 'skinny fat,' start weight lifting and eat 1800-2000 (or more) calories a day. Simple as that.
  • yvonneW1964
    yvonneW1964 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    You're 5'8" and 115LBS?

^ This^

Seriously? Not to be rude but 35+35=70. 70+30=100....

And I'm going to try to eat some of my exercise calories back and see how that goes for a while. In addition to doing more weight lifting. While I keep saying I want to lose more, I know I have a number obsession and I would be perfectly fine if my weight did not reach my "goal" but my body was better. I'm really just wanting to gain some muscle mass and lose the leftover stubborn fat, which will probably happen with the lifting.

I got really close to my goal weight, and I was still unhappy with my body. Once I started eating more and lifting heavy, my tummy got tighter, and flatter, and my butt got perkier. The scale went up a few pounds, but none of my pants (even my tightest skinniest jeans) fit anymore, because they're falling off.

I know it can be scary to see the scale go up. I spent a long time being terrified of eating more and watching the number go up, but the difference in my body has been amazing.

Good luck! You can do it!