Which Anti-Anxiety/Depressant Does NOT Cause Weight Gain?

Options
When I was 19 (now 22), I was put on Celexa and, in a short amount of time, gained 30 pounds (which I've now lost 25 of!!). I went off of it about a year and a half ago, but now I'm thinking I need to go back on some kind of medication, possibly a mood stabilizer.

What anti-depressants/anxiety medications do NOT have weight gain as a side effect?

Replies

• luvsbks
    Options
    I use Sertraline which I believe is the generic for zoloft. no weight gain so far. verify that sertraline is the generic for zoloft
  • myfitnessisavirtue
    Options
    Wellbutrin
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Options
    The weight gain is more related to increased appetite than anything else. If you are mindful of what you are eating, you will probably be okay. I'm not certain, but it sounds like you may not have been watching what you were eating before, where now you're tracking with MFP - so circumstances are different already! Good luck!
  • TabbathaAnne
    TabbathaAnne Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin! The generic is Bupropion!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I don't have any problems with Wellbutrin, which I have taken for years, or Klonopin, which I only take on an as-needed basis.

Remeron was DISASTROUS for me and Zyprexa was HORRIBLE for my daughter.
  • coliegrl30
    Options
    I agree, Wellbutrin..
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others..Wellbutrin.

There is a reason it was researched as a weight loss drug... ;-)
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin will not. I used to take Wellbutrin XL and it actually decreased my appetite! Also easier to stop taking because you don't have to taper off like you do with Zoloft, Paxil, and I don't know what else. And stay farrrrrrrr away from Paxil! That is the WORST ONE for weight gain!!!!!!!!!!
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    I take Ativan as needed (not every day) and haven't had a problem. It's anti-anxiety but I take it to help me sleep. Everyone's body reacts differently to any given substance though
  • 3Daughtersin2015
    3Daughtersin2015 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm on Prozac, and it's helped me a lot I've lost weight since i've been on, but that's because with the meds I want to try!
  • efindel
    Options
    Yep - Wellbutrin/Buproprion. In fact, study groups taking it had a small amount of weight loss when compared to control groups who were taking a placebo. For me, Wellbutrin also makes me feel more energetic, which makes it easier to keep going with exercising and other things.

One thing with Wellbutrin - don't take it if you can't take it consistently. For me, if I miss one day taking it, I'm okay -- but if I miss two in a row, I find myself very badly depressed! Tapering off is needed if you have that problem, but you'll need to work with a doctor on it -- the form it's normally prescribed in is time-release, so if you try to cut the pills in half, it'll release all at once, which won't be good.
  • im a nurse....wellbutrin in the best choice that my education says. it is marketed as zyban for smoking cessation help. it has been noticed through studies that ppl on this drug can lose up to 10% of their body mass.
  • xxbookwormbabexx
    xxbookwormbabexx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin (otherwise known as bupropion)

It made me MUCH less hungry. Although it didn't work well at all for my depression or anxiety... it's worth a shot!
    Everyone is different.
    Good luck :)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different and reacts differently to medications, on celexa I lost weight....gained it back since I came off it ..go figure!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    ASK YOUR DR !!!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin

I have a friend who is an E.R. nurse and she says that every week they have someone come in (usually a woman) who is on Wellbutrin and having a panic attack.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin, as others have said. Lexapro caused me some issues, but I have never had any problem with wellbutrin - regular or extended release.
  • Girl_Bomb
    Options
    After years of dealing will every anti anxiety pill out there I finally cut cold turkey and went to a hypnotist, that was over two years ago and I can proudly say I can leave my house, go to the mall alone, I finished college and got my life back. I will never put those chemicals into my body again.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin will not. I used to take Wellbutrin XL and it actually decreased my appetite! Also easier to stop taking because you don't have to taper off like you do with Zoloft, Paxil, and I don't know what else. And stay farrrrrrrr away from Paxil! That is the WORST ONE for weight gain!!!!!!!!!!

Also stay away from the anti-psychotics (I think it is criminal for physicians to prescribe anti-psychotics to those who are merely depressed). I know a young girl who was raped and depressed afterward. Her shrink put her on Seroquel and she gained 100 pounds and now her family doc tells her that she is a candidate for Type II diabetes! It's enough to make anyone depressed.:ohwell:
  • ghostpixie
    ghostpixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just don't take Abilify. I gained at the very least 30 pounds on Abilify, possibly more. I'm switching to Lamictal tomorrow. I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but you said possibly a mood stabilizer so I just thought I'd throw that in there.