Is it better to be under net or shovel in the junk?

Options

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry then roll the cals over to give you a little extra 100 cals for the next 5 days or whatever you like.

Or just knock 500 cals off you whole eating for the weeks cals? It is up to you.

You may wake up feeling really hungry tomorrow and be able to have extra to eat...I think it is all about what works for us as individuals, with some advice from other people that can help along the way :)
  • MissLuana
    Options
    Bank those calories for a day (in the same week) when you are very hungry and you can eat more.

Agree. Sundays are my non-exercise days. Without the extra calories earned from exercising, I go over on Sunday but stay within my weekly calorie allowance.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    After all my activities got added in this evening... AFTER I was done eating for the day...
    I am short like 500 something calories. (net)

Do you go to bed short or do you grab something high calorie and full of junk to compensate?

Why nothing or junk? You can do something like an apple with some raw almond butter or just almond butter. You can go for whole grain bread with almond butter (or peanut butter) with the apple or even a banana. You can get more calories without eating junk. You could even eat a whole avocado; this will give you the needed calories and essential fats but it is far from junk. Or even a handful of trail mix. (nuts and dried fruits with a little dark chocolate tossed in).
  • MrsSeals
    MrsSeals Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you ate all your calories for the day and then worked off enough to have 500 extra why eat anything? Thats good, it will keep your body eating away at itself. If anything eat something high in protein that will help your metabolism keep burning.
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be nothing or junk? If you're hungry have a healthy snack.
    ^this. There are plenty of high calorie, nutritious foods. Nuts, seeds, cheese or other full fat dairy (unless you have an issue with dairy), nut butters, avocados, protein shakes... Having said that, going under one day is really not going to have a huge effect. Being consistently under your goal by 500 cals a day is not such a good idea, but could be avoided by better planning. :smile:

these guys know what they're talking about
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'd just be under net.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I understand that this is a THEORETICAL QUESTION and that it's obviously a false dichotomy in the real world, but an interesting question.

I'm going to say it's better to be under net than consistently rely on empty calories. Unless you're a pro athlete, then shovel it in :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    As a rule of thumb I don't eat anything after 8pm .. Even if my calorie count is low.

But, I think this is a personal opinion and I'm definitely interested to see what others have to say about this! :)

Great thread, thanks!

My wife is the same way. I haven't found any correlation between the timing of eating and weight loss, but I also plan to eat something later in the evening.

Usually my dessert - because I can sit down and eat it slowly and thoroughly enjoy it, and because my daughter won't start playing the "you're eating sweets so I should be able to have more dessert" game which totally ruins the enjoyment of some high-end dark chocolate and single-malt for me.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Typically, if this happens, then I'm starving the next day and blow it bad because I just cannot get enough to eat. So, when I am short I will eat some ice cream or even just have a big glass of milk so I'm not starving the next day.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, don't worry about it. If it happens often, re-evaluate.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    If I'm under, I go for the junk. Pizza, ice cream, whatever I can get my hands on.
    On another note, I really can't lose weight. Can anyone help me?
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I always like to have a few calories left over because I think sometimes I underestimate how many calories I've eaten and MFP overestimates how many I've burned. If I was hungry, I might have a healthy snack. For a sweet tooth, a piece of dark chocolate (I know where the stash is), or I might have a beer. But usually I wouldn't eat them.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, don't eat, whether you're under net or not. If you are, have a healthy snack like others recommended. I'm way under today since I was sick all afternoon, but I'm not hungry, so I'm staying under. I'll more than make up for it this weekend :laugh:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    look at it over the course of a week... eat extra tomorrow if you're not hungry.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If I was not hungry, I'd go to bed short. Chances are I'm going to go over now and then so it will all even out over time. If I was consistently 500 short, I'd tweak my diet to get closer to goal on average.

^^ This is what I do as well. Unless it is a *huge* deficit (in which case I'm probably hungry.) But like another poster above said, it doesn't have to be nothing or junk. What about some nuts or nut butter on a slice of toast?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat. If you aren't hungry, don't eat. But, assuming your calorie goals are appropriate, make the necessary adjustments to your plan for future days so you aren't in this conundrum at the end of the day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat. If you aren't hungry, don't eat. But, assuming your calorie goals are appropriate, make the necessary adjustments to your plan for future days so you aren't in this conundrum at the end of the day.

Listen buddy, you don't know everything. When people are on a chronic calorie deficit, they don't get hungry when it would be appropriate. Hence all the "I CAN'T eat all my calories!!!" posts. Don't act like you're king-*kitten* when you're only the duke of dookie.

You sound hangry.

You should probably eat something.

(Or maybe it's all of the testosterone (or endosterone) coursing through your body from all of the heavy lifting.)
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Bank those calories for a day (in the same week) when you are very hungry and you can eat more.

Agree. Sundays are my non-exercise days. Without the extra calories earned from exercising, I go over on Sunday but stay within my weekly calorie allowance.

I bank calories for Sunday, too! :)
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Listen buddy, you don't know everything. When people are on a chronic calorie deficit, they don't get hungry when it would be appropriate. Hence all the "I CAN'T eat all my calories!!!" posts. Don't act like you're king-*kitten* when you're only the duke of dookie.

You sound hangry.

(Or maybe it's all of the testosterone (or endosterone) coursing through your body from all of the heavy lifting.)

Maybe the two of you should get a room... :smokin:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

You sound hangry.

Maybe the two of you should get a room... :smokin:

No WAY Dana. This guy is a dad, and he's borderline eccentric! *smirk*