Is it better to be under net or shovel in the junk?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat. If you aren't hungry, don't eat. But, assuming your calorie goals are appropriate, make the necessary adjustments to your plan for future days so you aren't in this conundrum at the end of the day.

Listen buddy, you don't know everything. When people are on a chronic calorie deficit, they don't get hungry when it would be appropriate. Hence all the "I CAN'T eat all my calories!!!" posts. Don't act like you're king-*kitten* when you're only the duke of dookie.

You sound hangry.

You should probably eat something.

(Or maybe it's all of the testosterone (or endosterone) coursing through your body from all of the heavy lifting.)

Maybe the two of you should get a room... :smokin:

No WAY Dana. This guy is a dad, and he's borderline eccentric! *smirk*

Oh no you di'n't!

NO YOU DI'N'T!!!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    As a rule of thumb I don't eat anything after 8pm .. Even if my calorie count is low.

But, I think this is a personal opinion and I'm definitely interested to see what others have to say about this! :)

Great thread, thanks!
    not only silly but pointless...if i didnt eat after 8 id starve

You don't know *why* she does this.
    Granted, it doesn't technically matter to weight loss when a person eats, but maybe putting a time restriction on herself if a rule that helps her avoid mindless snacking.
  • 1974tonya
    1974tonya Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    when you dont eat close to the amount of calories your body needs you will go into starvation mode and whatever food you do eat your body will store and will turn to fat because it will not know when it will get its next meal. I learned this the hard way when I wasnt loosing any weight and went to a nutritionist and found this out. I started eating what I was siposto eat and now im loosing weight even though some days its very hard to eat all my callories and usually I go over my fat or protein or something but come as close to my calories as I can. Hope this helps good luck every one.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you ate all your calories for the day and then worked off enough to have 500 extra why eat anything? Thats good, it will keep your body eating away at itself. If anything eat something high in protein that will help your metabolism keep burning.

Yikes, that sounds fun. :noway:
  • MistyAnneK
    MistyAnneK Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    As a rule of thumb I don't eat anything after 8pm .. Even if my calorie count is low.

But, I think this is a personal opinion and I'm definitely interested to see what others have to say about this! :)

Great thread, thanks!

It isn't silly or pointless... I rarely eat after 6pm and I don't starve and I go to bed around 11pm. You really shouldn't eat too terribly late anyway... in mine and my doctors opinion anyway.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Have some guacamole, if you like it. It is high in fat but it is good fat. Nuts and olives are other foods that are high in good fat (and thus calorie dense) that are very good for you (but go easy on the olives if you have a problem with sodium). Macadamia nuts will actually rev up your metabolism.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Eat high calorie HEALTHY food like peanut butter, whole milk, avocado etc...
    A serving of 300ml of whole milk is about 192 calories, mix in a blender with a large banana (105ish cals) and a tablespoon of peanut butter (95cals) is 392 calories.
  • MistyAnneK
    MistyAnneK Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If I'm under, I go for the junk. Pizza, ice cream, whatever I can get my hands on.
    On another note, I really can't lose weight. Can anyone help me?

It could be because of the pizza, ice cream, junk. Just because you are under on calories doesn't make it a good day. If I were you, I would start looking at my fat intake and make adjustments there...also too many sugars aren't good either. You want to stay fairly well balanced in carbs, fat, sugar, protein AND calories. Healthier eating will go a long way towards your weight goal.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat ice cream. If you aren't hungry, don't eat. But, assuming your calorie goals are appropriate, make the necessary adjustments to your plan for future days so you aren't in this conundrum at the end of the day.

Fixed it for ya. :wink:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    After all my activities got added in this evening... AFTER I was done eating for the day...
    I am short like 500 something calories. (net)

Do you go to bed short or do you grab something high calorie and full of junk to compensate?

No! If you have fat to lose just go to bed! I did that for two years and my doctor said I was fine. He checked my blood work, etc. and agreed that starvation mode is a myth. My full story here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • dsmboy1991
    dsmboy1991 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you're really not hungry and this isn't a regular occurrence, don't worry about it. But if you really want to bump it up, have a peanut butter & honey sandwich, or peanut butter & some dark chocolate or something like that. No need to shovel junk. :tongue:

I recommend the PB and honey. Amazing sandwich. Don't knock it till you try it. :happy:
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've done the junk food thing to make up a deficit once or twice. More often, I have a handful of peanuts, if I want to make up the difference.

And sometimes, I just leave the deficit as it is (usually it's around 200-300 - I had a whole week like that recently) because I know there will be days that I'm going to be extra hungry or didn't plan well and will be over. I feel like these days balance each other out.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Great thread, thanks!

It isn't silly or pointless... I rarely eat after 6pm and I don't starve and I go to bed around 11pm. You really shouldn't eat too terribly late anyway... in mine and my doctors opinion anyway.

Agreed. If you want to burn more fat, it is wise to go 12 to 14 hours without eating---you force your body to convert from burning stored glycogen to burning fat for fuel through the long hours when you are not eating. (You will sleep better too if you cut off eating 3 to 4 hours before bed---that is, unless you haven't eaten enough throughout the day and then you will be too hungry to sleep.) I try to eat the most fat of my day at dinner, as that is supposed to facilitate fat-burning through the night and keep me from being too hungry to sleep. I typically cut off eating at 7 p.m. and then, I will go til 9 a.m. the next day, before eating breakfast. I will even skip breakfast at least one morning a week in order to burn fat even longer. This fat-burning technique is called "intermittent fasting" and it has facilitated fat loss for me. I've lost 14 pounds and three inches off my waist. In the past, because of my ornery metabolism, I had to go below 1000 calories to even begin to see a reduction in my fat stores. Definitely not healthy--and it's exhausting, to boot. When I learned how and what to eat, it made a big difference. I am losing from my fat stores slowly (about 1 to 2 pounds per week) and so far, I don't think I have lost any lean tissue as I have been exercising more than I usually do when I diet and I seem to be getting stronger. :smile:
  • determinedhealthy
    determinedhealthy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Nuts (Almonds, Cashews, Wallnuts) and trail mix, or a granola bar here and there. That is what I use to make up for a big hole in my calories.

THIS and peanut butter!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    After all my activities got added in this evening... AFTER I was done eating for the day...
    I am short like 500 something calories. (net)

Do you go to bed short or do you grab something high calorie and full of junk to compensate?

Why does high calorie have to be junk. Two slices of whole grain bread and 3 tablespoons of all natural peanut butter will get you pretty close to that 500. Or if you don't want peanut butter choose almond or cashew butter instead. None of that is junk. It is nutrition packed, healthy, and high calorie.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat ice cream. If you aren't hungry, don't eat. But, assuming your calorie goals are appropriate, make the necessary adjustments to your plan for future days so you aren't in this conundrum at the end of the day.

Fixed it for ya. :wink:

Atta girl! :drinker:
  • sweetalker
    sweetalker Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    when you dont eat close to the amount of calories your body needs you will go into starvation mode and whatever food you do eat your body will store and will turn to fat because it will not know when it will get its next meal. I learned this the hard way when I wasnt loosing any weight and went to a nutritionist and found this out. I started eating what I was siposto eat and now im loosing weight even though some days its very hard to eat all my callories and usually I go over my fat or protein or something but come as close to my calories as I can. Hope this helps good luck every one.

This this this.

I have tried to tell my friends this - I have one who burns 1500-2000 calories a day and eats only 1200. Your body panics and turns every bite into fat. Unless said friend plans on burning 1500-2000 calories every day for the rest of his life (NO BREAKS for vacation, or sickness, or breaking a leg, or getting older and getting arthritis) he's going to gain all that weight back, and it will be PURE FAT.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

This this this.

I have tried to tell my friends this - I have one who burns 1500-2000 calories a day and eats only 1200. Your body panics and turns every bite into fat. Unless said friend plans on burning 1500-2000 calories every day for the rest of his life (NO BREAKS for vacation, or sickness, or breaking a leg, or getting older and getting arthritis) he's going to gain all that weight back, and it will be PURE FAT.

Show them this... http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Great thread, thanks!

Agreed. If you want to burn more fat, it is wise to go 12 to 14 hours without eating---you force your body to convert from burning stored glycogen to burning fat for fuel through the long hours when you are not eating. (You will sleep better too if you cut off eating 3 to 4 hours before bed---that is, unless you haven't eaten enough throughout the day and then you will be too hungry to sleep.) I try to eat the most fat of my day at dinner, as that is supposed to facilitate fat-burning through the night and keep me from being too hungry to sleep. I typically cut off eating at 7 p.m. and then, I will go til 9 a.m. the next day, before eating breakfast. I will even skip breakfast at least one morning a week in order to burn fat even longer. This fat-burning technique is called "intermittent fasting" and it has facilitated fat loss for me. I've lost 14 pounds and three inches off my waist. In the past, because of my ornery metabolism, I had to go below 1000 calories to even begin to see a reduction in my fat stores. Definitely not healthy--and it's exhausting, to boot. When I learned how and what to eat, it made a big difference. I am losing from my fat stores slowly (about 1 to 2 pounds per week) and so far, I don't think I have lost any lean tissue as I have been exercising more than I usually do when I diet and I seem to be getting stronger. :smile:

Enjoy, but no thank you. Eight hours of fasting is plenty for me. I would rather let my body guide me than a clock. I can usually go for an hour or two when I wake up, but when the belly says feed me, I obey. Also, I try to get in all my macros with each meal, spread them out. That would be hard for me to live by such a restrictive schedule.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you're really not hungry and this isn't a regular occurrence, don't worry about it. But if you really want to bump it up, have a peanut butter & honey sandwich, or peanut butter & some dark chocolate or something like that. No need to shovel junk. :tongue:

I recommend the PB and honey. Amazing sandwich. Don't knock it till you try it. :happy:

I like peanut butter butter with maple syrup. :tongue: I used to put it on graham crackers, back in the day. It's not bad with honey either. Peanut butter goes well with *so* many things though.