15 months, 134 pounds lost - at GOAL! (pics included)

Options
ShannonMpls
ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
The first thing I want to do is thank my MFP friends. I swear, I have the most amazing cheering squad and I could not have done it without them.

In early June of 2011, this photo of me was taken:

first-2.jpg

The next week, I joined a gym and on June 16, 2011, I joined MFP. In the 15 months that have passed since then, I've lost 134 pounds. I have hit my goal!

That number is almost impossible to comprehend. My BMI has gone from around 44 (morbidly obese) to 24.8 (HEALTHY for the first time in my adult life!). My body fat percentage has gone from 45% to 26% (my goal is below 24%).

I have always been a mostly healthy eater, but now I eat better than ever (cooking 95% of my own food, reducing processed choices, learning portion size). I actually enjoy exercising and consider it one of the best hours of my day. I've fallen head over heels for running (not literally, thank goodness). I am a regular in the weight room. I am strong, inside and out. I am focused and dedicated.

People ask me, "are you so happy now that you've hit goal?"

Well, yes. I am. But it's more complicated than that.

I'm happy because I have taken charge of my life. I am happy because for some reason, in June of 2011, I decided to take the steps toward change, and something clicked and I never stopped. I am happy because I'm not stuck in some downward spiral, feeling out of control and uncomfortable in my own skin. I am happy because my body no longer holds me back: going on a 20 mile bike ride with my family. returning to the very rustic state park where I broke my ankle 5 years ago and conquering those trails, this time with a 30 pound toddler on my back. shopping for clothes anywhere I want, seeing something I love and thinking "I will try it on" instead of "that will never look nice on me." registering for a 10 mile race. going kayaking for the first time. I am happy that my first response is "I can do that" instead of "I can't..."

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I was a beautiful, smart woman then too, with accomplishments and talents. I'm not defined by my body, and I was in no way less deserving or less wonderful than I am now. And you readers out there feeling like you're worthless because of your weight? Stop, right now. Wanting change does not mean you have to hate what or who you are presently. All self-hate will do is get in the way.

Somehow, during the last 15 months, something incredible has shifted inside of me and I'm confident and strong in a way I didn't think was possible. I didn't realize what was missing until I found it.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that reaching my goal weight itself has not made me happy. What has made me happy - thrilled, fulfilled, challenged, proud - is the journey to get here. And I have never once used the word journey to describe the process of losing weight, so you know I mean business ;)

I absolutely love who I have become.

Weight loss - yay! But I've changed on a more fundamental level than the size of my clothing. That's my success story.

And now for pics:

333557_10150559429187407_612802406_9261111_493402360_o-1-1-1.jpg
I had lost around 90 pounds when the second photo was taken.

6844591968_a8477ffebd-1.jpg
I was down around 100 pounds between these photos - this was at my first race, a 7k in March (I had just started running in January!)

picstitch.jpg
Mother's Day 2010 and 2012 - crazy to think that the pants in the "after" pic are way too big now

photo-3.jpg
Those jeans used to fit. Yep.

photo5-1.jpg?t=1348581161
One one of our many hiking trips this summer - one of the most active, outdoorsy, and happy summers of my life.

photo7_zps4c606062.jpg
This was me Sunday, at goal weight.

For those of you just starting, I want you to know that this is possible. Your path to health probably won't look just like mine and it might take you longer to reach it, but that's fine. In five years it won't matter how long it took you; all that will matter is that you made lasting changes that you can live with.

My biggest, #1 tip:
This does not need to be a miserable experience. In fact, if you make it miserable, I don't see it lasting. Live the healthiest life you can enjoy. For me, an enjoyable life includes chocolate, craft beer, and pizza - not every day, of course, but often enough that I don't feel deprived or like I'm on an endless "diet." I cringe when I see people post that they "cheated" or suggest that anyone who has a slice of cake isn't truly dedicated to losing weight.

During these last 15 months, I was not perfect, but I never gave up - I never even CONSIDERED giving up....see this blog post of mine for more on "perfection not required" - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls/view/eat-badly-yesterday-skip-a-workout-get-over-it-408173

For a funnier post with more details, read my one-year success story thread here:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/632212-one-year-120-pounds-lost-with-pics

My blog has a lot more of my thoughts, details on how I achieved my goal, and other ramblings:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls

My "How did you do it?" post might be of particular interest for those curious about the details of how I eat and exercise: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls/view/-how-did-you-do-it-262680

Now that I'm no longer focused on losing scale weight, I'm still committed to body composition and other goals. I will run a 10 mile race in October, and next spring I'll train for a half marathon. I want to improve my 5k pace. I want to do an unassisted pull up. I want to hit the "fitness" body fat range by my 34th birthday. See what I mean? I'm a girl after goals, and nothing is ending now that I've hit my goal weight. It's just time for a shift :)

Thanks for reading - I'm sorry it's so long! I'm always wordy.

I'm just grateful that I found MFP. What a difference it's made :)

-Shannon

Replies

• iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You're my hero shannon! :laugh: You look amazing, all your hard work and dedication shows! So happy for you! :flowerforyou:
  • sweiland1
    sweiland1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You are a great inspiration to me!!! Way to go and keep up the great work and the goals to come!!
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    All of your hard work really paid off...congratulations...you look fantastic!:flowerforyou:
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, and I love every single word in your post!
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Fabulous, I love the way you think :)
  • whittlelauraann
    Options
    Amazing job!!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Totally Inspirational!! Thank you and Great Job!!
  • jessihoover
    Options
    congrats!! you are an inspiration!
  • lisahale
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing !!! Great job , very inspiring !
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I am literally tearing up! Great job!!!!!
  • RobertCu
    RobertCu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss goals. You were beautiful before and after the loss.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    you are so crazy inspiring! i'm picking my jaw up off the floor right now! love love love!
  • mmimmi1
    mmimmi1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow ... you look amazing! Congrats! Inspirational journey!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    You are a great example! 15 months absoutely amazing! Wish you success with your maintenance. When i think of weight loss i think of it as 1/2 the battle. The other 1/2 successfully keeping the weight off! From yiur words it seeems you are on the track to a long lasting success! Superb and u look fab!
  • Laramae09
    Options
    You are an amazing inspiration! Thank you for sharing!
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Awesome work! Loved your story....
  • Shelleybean29
    Shelleybean29 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! You look great!
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you! What an achievement. I like the way you've set fitness-related goals for yourself. I do the same thing. I would get frustrated if it was just what I lost--now it's about riding my bike 100 miles, running at 6 MPH (I'm not a runner). Next year I will do a triathlon. I was going to this year, but I got hit by a car while on my bike, and that threw me out of commission for awhile. Anyway, not about me, it's about you--you are an inspiration!
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Wow, truly amazing! You look wonderful and I know you must feel wonderful! Congrats!
  • SarahSarcasmX
    SarahSarcasmX Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration!
    I was 6 lbs to goal weight when I found out I was pregnant with my second child last September.
    I gained almost 50 lbs with him and because I breastfeed, am hungry ALL the time...and not finding much time to exercise.
    I finally logged back on on Monday after being off the site since Sept of 2011.
    I have about 28-30 lbs to lose but I know I have to focus and just do it.

Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!