Why is it so hard to stick to my diet

Options
am i the only one who has been struggling so much to lose weight? I mean i do everything wrong, im basically yo yo dieting, We try to eat healthy but it last till the weekend. I try to gym but it also lasts for 2 to 3 weeks. I have lost the same 5kg and gained it back over and over again. Worst part is when everyone you havent seen in a while go on about how much you have gained. Sometimes i really feel like just puking my heart out on them because i feel no one understands what i am really going through.No one understands how hard it is to resist something you love and then eat 5 servings of it when no one is watching.

How did you guys do it, if anyone has ever suffered from whatever illness i have, which i call "lack of self dicipline"

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Don't diet. Eat food that you enjoy and fit it into your calories/macros.

Find exercise you enjoy and set a schedule.
  • allishax9918
    Options
    I can have some awesome great diet days..then its like the very next day i just dont give a ****. If I stop logging for teh day..I go over. Yesterday my gram brought home these little chocolate cupcakes with chocolate icing..i ate FIVE!! and 2 chocolate chip cookies..the cupcake serving size was 3 so it wasn't THAT bad..but still. I shoudn't have done that. I used the weight I've lost as an occasional excuse like those calories are now freebies to eat back or something..well today i went over..welp still weigh less..and say the same thing the next day. I think once we get on a strict row of good days we'll be set once it becomes a habit!
  • cjsgrimlin
    Options
    Nope not the only one. I have a huge problem with will power and budget problems. I have two kids in the house and i try to have treats for them around, but i always seem to help myself to one or two!!
  • allishax9918
    Options
    what if i enjoy chocolate, chocolate,chocolate? lol! =p
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am certainly no expert, but I have found that it's important to always recognize a slip-up as just that and get back to it. I used to constantly do the "oh, I blew this Monday, so I might as well blow the week and start next week..." thing. Now, if I slip up on Monday I just have to accept it and move on and start again THE NEXT MEAL. Not the next day. Not the next week.

Nobody is perfect and you can't beat yourself up for those imperfections. All you can do is move forward from the moment you note that you had a slip-up.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    what if i enjoy chocolate, chocolate,chocolate? lol! =p

Moderation! :wink:
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Like insomnia said...don't look at it as a diet. Yeah you can't eat the same as you did before...but it's not a diet, it's a LIFESTYLE CHANGE! Find foods you like and that you look forward to eating

Like for me, I am a BIG pasta eater...carbs carbs carbs! I used to eat it almost every night for dinner...but now I limit it to twice a week MAX and use wheat pasta instead of white.

Small things help make wonders happen! You can still eat what you enjoy just use moderation. If you are a choco-holic then eat it once a week...there! You have your fix and you know you will get it again next time. Deprivation doesn't work because once you get your hands on it again all of your hard work is out the window!
  • purpleroses1021
    purpleroses1021 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Don't diet. Eat food that you enjoy and fit it into your calories/macros.

Find exercise you enjoy and set a schedule.

This!
  • allishax9918
    Options
    I needed to hear this! I'm def guilty of saying I'll do better tomorrow or er next week. NOW is the best time.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people on this site can relate. I always say it's not a diet, it's a life style change. Are you eating "clean"? Are you exercising regularly? What are you doing to sabotage yourself?
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    It's a lifestyle change not a diet. Find things you like that you know you'll stick to :)
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have been eating chocolate 5 times per week (limited amount) and I lost 35 pounds. Soooo, if you maintain your calories, eat what you please. Just do it in moderation!
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't resist anything I love. I eat fast food, I eat cheesecake, I eat calorie-heavy pasta. I track it all, I plan so that I am able to burn enough calories to keep losing. I have slowly worked towards changing some of my eating habits, but I DO NOT cut out things that I love, I don't beat myself up if I was busy at work so grabbed some McDonalds, and as a result I do not need to binge or carry a sense of deprivation.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I definitely struggle. I had to stop calorie counting because I was becoming obsessed with it. Now, I just eat smaller portions of things I like, make healthier choices & work off a set schedule for exercise. It works for me :)

Find what works best for you, and go with that. If that's counting every morsel you put into your mouth (what I did for a LONG time) then do that. If that stops working, try something new!
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Venetianz, you are definitely NOT alone! I have been living like that for YEARS! Yo-yo dieting has been a way of life for me and every time I have a big weight loss, I gain it back. It's funny because I am aware of the psychological issues I have in my life that cause me to make the wrong food choices but when it comes down to it, I would rather eat those 5 servings in private than to fix my problems. Isn't that something??

Send me a friend request if you're interested in trying to break the cycle with me because I found that I cannot do it by myself!
  • DeathKitty23
    DeathKitty23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Stop thinkng about it as a diet and try a lifestyle change...
    eat foods you like in moderation
    Don't jump in a the deep end - slowly make little changes at a time
    xx
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You need to change your mindset and make changes that you can live with for the rest of your life not just while trying to lose weight. Find activities/exercises that you like. I haven't given up anything and I have lost 114 pounds. I know I will make it to my goal and be able to maintain for the rest of my life because I have made a lifestyle change. This isn't a "diet" for me. If I felt like I was depriving myself, there's no way I would have stuck with it for any length of time. That is why so many people gain their weight back.
  • MJ1185
    MJ1185 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. You start off so well and do everything right then somehow it all falls apart and you're back to square one. I see my weight loss as a marathon. I didn't put it on in a month so I'm not going to lose it in a month. Realizing that I'm going to have to make a long term committment was the start for me. I had to adjust my thinking.

I also saw a councellor about my eating problems and they helped me to realize that I have some underlying issues I need to address. Perhaps the same could help you?
  • _Brown_Eyed_Girl_
    Options
    I have a hard time with sticking to eating properly too. I've found that when that starts to happen I need to add in more variety. Try soup instead of a salad for lunch or some different fruits. I also have the same problem with over doing it on things I love like sweets. To overcome the bingeing I try to keep my "trigger foods" out of the house. I don't buy ice cream or candy or chips or anything that I know I will eat 4 or 5 servings of without being able to stop myself.

One trick you can try is distracting yourself when you feel that craving strike. Try drinking a glass of water or going for a short walk. If you do binge, write it all down anyway and move on. It happened, it's in the past and just make a better choice the next time you eat. I hope that helps a little :)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    What you are doing is not sustainable. Stop dieting. Learn how to eat real food in proper proportions, stop starving yourself, and pick up some weights. Then pick up your scale. Throw it out the window. These are the secrets to looking better.