How do you do 1200?

Options
Just recalculated my goals and MFP gave me 1200 a day. I work out a lot, so I'm not worried about exercise calories, but just out of curiosity...how do you manage 1200 a day? Tips/tricks? :)

Replies

• GingerBroad
    GingerBroad Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A lot of veggies! Also, if you are not too worried about carbs, most pastas have low calorie counts. I typically try to stay to do 200 for b-fast, between 3-400 for lunch, and then around 400 for dinner. That leaves room for snacks in order to not get hungry. Keep 100 cal packs around if you're not good at controlling portions. Also, i drink hot tea if i sort of just want something, but am not very hungry.

Hope that helps!
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Def helps! I like your calorie breakdown for meals...I'm gonna try that. I need to start doing more veggies for snacks...like broccoli and hummus or something...
  • jeweljeans
    jeweljeans Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Fresh/unprocessed foods! Lean meats, veggies, fruit, whole grains... Protein at every meal fuels your muscles and helps keep you fuller longer. I eat more carbs in the morning and less towards end of the day. Any time I feel like snacking I go for the chopped cucumbers or peppers in my fridge. I eat 5 times a day, so keeping cooked chicken breasts in portion sized baggies helps me keep my protein up when I don't have time to cook. It's great because I can place them in a wrap or eat on their own.

My breakfast is the biggest meal of the day typically at 350-400 calories. You need to get your metabolism revved up for the day. :)
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Lean meats for dinner really helps a lot. I mostly have either fish or chicken (you can have a HUGE piece of fish for very little calories) + a bunch of vegetables and then a side of your choice like a sweet potato, crab cake, etc. Really anything. Homemade soup is good too.

Breakfast I personally do somewhat small and have either a bowl of oatmeal with fruit or cereal with unsweetened almond milk. Lunch is up in the air.. usually whole wheat pasta, a sandwich, some chicken with tomatoes and wine sauce, etc.

Snacks are whatever else fits within my calories for the day (I eat around 1,275 calories a day + exercise calories). I never struggle to stay within my goal.

ETA: Eggs with chopped veggies are delicious as well. :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose 3 pounds? Eat a lot more than 1200! You should be eating close to maintenance that close to your goal weight.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I found that coming up with a few "go to" high protein, low cal meals has helped me. I love 1 egg/2 egg white omelettes packed with veggies and 1 oz of light cream cheese, for example. And last night I grilled up several chicken breasts with wine and lemon juice, and today will pack them in 3 oz portions and freeze them for when I need them. Same with soups. If I don't plan ahead, I can get too hungry, and make poor choices. Yes, I'm looking at you, candy corn!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Go over your numbers and figure out where the calculation went wrong?
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You don't... or at least I don't. If you're doing any sort of activity chances are 1200 cals is not enough. MFP calcs for people who work out are a good start but sometimes on the low side.

I eat 1900 calories, lift and run and I lose when I follow that. PM me if you'd like more information on calculating calories needed.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I do around 1200 a day and have been for months. Take a look at my diary if you want ideas.
    I am rarely hungry as I eat almost every two hours, and I control urges with portions...
    If I want something I will have it,, but a taste instead of a large bowl.

I always drink at least eight ounces of water whenever I think I am hungry, then I wait ten or twenty minutes to see if I still feel the same way.
  • Davytah1983
    Davytah1983 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This thread is really helpful to me. I've been on 1650 for a while now and I've had very little of a loss. In fact I've put on 4lb :-( today the first day of being between 1200 - 1300.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    When you cook for yourself, it's super easy. :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low for most people. You should eat above your BMR. Especially since you appear to be fit and don't have a large amount of weight to lose. In fact...your profile says you weigh 118 and want to get down to 113? How tall are you?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    This thread is really helpful to me. I've been on 1650 for a while now and I've had very little of a loss. In fact I've put on 4lb :-( today the first day of being between 1200 - 1300.

This is a joke right? A grown man eating 1200-1300 calories in a day? :noway:
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose 3 pounds? Eat a lot more than 1200! You should be eating close to maintenance that close to your goal weight.
    Hey, I'm trying to lose 3 lbs... Could you explain why that is please?
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i am 5'3 168lbs sit down job 1200 calories and i try to fit in exercise at least 4 days a week. this is my 2nd week on here and last week was very tough! this week i am a bit more "on it." I am drinkin lots of hot tea with equal maybe 2 cups of cofee (anymore than this wil make me want to snack for some reason) and i am VERY watchfull of what i eat. I also started using my crockpot (thank goodness for fall) and eating homemade food. i also drink lots of water.
  • rebeccap13
    Options
    Some things you need to know before even thinking about determining your calorie needs/goals:
    BMR - basal metabolic rate, what your body needs to sustain life if you were in a coma
    RMR - resting metabolic rate, pretty much the same as BMR, not enough to support you as soon as you get out of bed
    TDEE - total daily energy expenditure, how much you need to eat to maintain your weight based on all your activity beyond sleeping at night

There's some good calculators online to determine these things. You should probably be netting above BMR. Netting below BMR for a prolonged period of time can affect your metabolism and eventually lead to a plateau. Also, eating too far below BMR is going to cause loss of lean body mass.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I WOULDN"T. I did the 1200 thing here my first year of Myfitnesspal and lost about 50lbs. At about month 10, I plateaued and have gained back 18lbs to date. 1200 IS NOT ENOUGH FOR MOST PEOPLE. You may lose quick but plateau or gain it back later. I now eat between 1900-2100 a day and am seeing a difference in my clothes more than ever.

Use THIS to calculate the calories you need to eat. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Warning: This is a long post, but I already had it typed up for a friend of mine with the exact same question.

Here's a sample menu of what I eat:
    BREAKFAST
    1 Scoop Protein Powder - 140 cal
    1 Cup Fat Free Milk - 90 cal
    3 Egg Whites - 75 cal
    Water
    TOTAL = 305 cal

SNACK
    1 Medium Apple - 70 cal
    Water
    TOTAL = 70 cal

LUNCH
    4 oz Turkey Lunch Meat - 100 cal
    1 Whole Wheat Tortilla - 170 cal
    Lettuce - 5 cal cal
    1 Tomato Slice - 10 cal
    1 Cup Broccoli - 30 cal
    Water
    TOTAL = 315

SNACK
    1 Cup Plain 0% Greek Yogurt - 100 cal
    5 Cut Strawberries - 15 cal
    1/8 Cup Granola - 35 cal
    TOTAL = 150

DINNER
    5 Ounces Chicken Breast - 234 cal
    2 Cups Spinach (salad) - 14 cal
    1 Cup Romaine (salad) - 6 cal
    5 Cherry Tomatoes (salad) - 15 cal
    2 Tbs Fat Free Ranch Dressing (salad) - 50 cal
    1 Cup Green Beans - 35 cal
    Water
    TOTAL = 354

GRAND TOTAL = 1190 And that up there is a lot of food! You won't be hungry. And there is nothing fried, not much with added sugar, low carbs, and no bad fats. It's really easy once you get going and get in the habit.

Here is a list of some foods that might be of help when grocery shopping:
    ZERO/NEGATIVE CALORIE FOODS
    apple
    beet
    blueberries
    broccoli
    cranberry
    carrot
    chicory
    cauliflower
    endive
    garden cress
    garlic
    grapefruit
    green bean
    hot chili peppers
    lemon
    lime
    lettuce
    onion
    orange
    papaya
    peach
    pineapple
    raspberries
    spinach
    strawberries
    tomato
    tangerine
    watermelon
    zucchini

FAT BURNING FOODS
    oatmeal
    almonds
    protein powder
    olive oil
    berries
    eggs
    beans/legumes
    lean meat
    fish
    whole grains
    nut butters
    green veggies
    calcium
    green tea
    parmesan
    cannellini beans
    brown rice
    sweet potatoes
    cinnamon
    pine nuts

METABOLISM BOOSTING FOODS
    Water
    Green Tea
    low fat yogurt
    oatmeal
    hot peppers

DO NOT EAT
    no butter
    no potatoes
    no sauces on meat (or VERY limited) Spices are okay though
    no cheese (limited for you, since you like cheese alot)
    no sugar (added. natural is okay)
    no juice (fruit juice is just wasted calories)
    no alcohol
    no added salt
    no processed foods (limited, because "no" is hard to do)
    no white flour
    no fast food
    no eating out
    no sugary cereal
    no ice cream
    no bottled gren tea (tea bags are good though)
    no red meat (unless it is extra lean. 95%)

THINGS TO DRINK
    green tea (boosts metabolism, no calories)
    lots of water
    fat free milk (instead of fatty milk)

THINGS TO EAT
    whole grain
    lots of veggies
    fresh fruit
    steel cut oats
    brown rice
    protein bars (check ingredients, or make your own)
    protein shakes
    natural peanut butter
    almond butter
    light/low fat yogurt (check sugar content)
    greek yogurt (check sugar content)
    hot peppers/spices (boosts metabolism)
    cinnamon
    garlic
    cocoa
    flax seed
    egg whites (protein protein protein!)
    lemon
    spinach
  • rebeccap13
    Options
    Zero/negative calories foods? Really? The calorie burn from digesting those foods is negligible.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I don't.