How do you do 1200?

Options

Replies

• guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you're working out (just dieting is a slow painful way to lose) you need more than that anyway. Don't go purely by what MFP says, do some research on BMR (basal metabolic rate) and TDEE (IDFK what it stands for) and choose what you think you can actually stick with more, and see which one works best for you.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I don't.

Most people's BMR is well over 1200, so unless you plan on being in a coma you need to eat more than 1200.

I do 1400-1500 on light lifting days (arms, shoulders, abs) and 1700-2000 on heavy lifting days (chest, back, legs). I really listen to my body. If I'm hungry, I eat, regardless of if I've reached my "limit" or not.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I definitely echo the lots of veggies comments! A massive bowl of salad is very few calories, and you can add lots of lean protein (meat or otherwise) and other tasty veggies to it. I typically have a large salad for lunch and a smaller salad for dinner. Fruit is a great snack to keep around too - try slicing oranges in to quarters or smaller pieces and putting them in the fridge. One slice will be 25 calories or fewer & it satiates my sweet tooth, especially in the afternoon! Another sweet treat is chocolate PB2 - check it out if you haven't already. I usually will have some fruit or a tablespoon of PB2 before a 3+ mile jog to keep me feeling energetic but not full.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    And as a PS: to echo the comments on BMR, if you really want to know your caloric needs, do a MedGem or similar test with a nutritionist. My BMR is actually 750 calories (obviously way low), but knowing that has helped me budget my exercise and calories well and has taken the frustration and mystery out of weight loss for me.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose 3 pounds? Eat a lot more than 1200! You should be eating close to maintenance that close to your goal weight.
    Hey, I'm trying to lose 3 lbs... Could you explain why that is please?
    When you have more weight to lose, you can afford a larger deficit without negative consequences. I think the general rule of thumb is that if you have less than 20 to lose, you should have your setting to lose .5 pound and make sure to eat back exercise calories.
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • susanner35
    Options
    I think it's likely that something went wrong in calculating your resting metabolic rate for your caloric intake needs. I'm rooting for you if this is in fact correct and all the lean protein/veggie comments are very supportive, but for me, trying to eat 1200 calories a day is like trying to pay off credit card debt by 'spending no money'. It's just not how I work and trying to do so is detrimental.

Good luck!
  • susanner35
    Options
    Thanks! this was helpful to me as well!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose 3 pounds? Eat a lot more than 1200! You should be eating close to maintenance that close to your goal weight.

Because constant 'dieting' and staying in a severe calorie deficit causes your metabolism to slow down to accommodate the lack of fuel. Slow down = plateau. You also start losing lean muscles mass which is very bad. Your muscle not only make you look lean and sexy but they LOVE to burn calorie. Lost lean muscle mass = even slower metabolism. So in a nutshell LADIES QUIT STARVING YOURSELF. You CAN eat more to weigh less, it works!!!!

1 - Eat above your BMR (for most of us that's more than 1200 and less than 2000 calories, pick something in between)
    2 - EAT PROTEIN! Try to net between 85 to 100 grams a day
    3 - strength train and lift weights. Have you ever seen a side by side comparison of a woman that weighs 140lbs - one has lot's of lean muscle mass and the other one does not. The one that has preserved her muscles through good nutrition and proper calories looks FANTASTIC and like she weighs less, where as the other woman looks flabby and pudgy still.

SO ONCE AGAIN LADIES...QUIT TRYING TO 'DIET' YOURSELF DOWN TO 110 POUNDS AND A SIZE 0. EAT!
    AMEN! *walksofftoeat*
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute...there are actually people who believe in the 0 calorie/NEGATIVE calorie foods bull$h!t? :noway:
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1200 and it gets a lot easier....I usually do:

breakfast: yogurt, oatmeal, multi grain cherrios, or bagel thin with light cream cheese...sometimes fruit too.

AM snack: fruit

Lunch: Sandwich (usually turkey on wheat, sometimes tuna or PB&J) with string cheese, babybel, fruit or a pickle. Sometimes a salad.

PM snack: Baby carrots, fruit, 100 cal popcorn or any other 100 cal snack.

Dinner: Where I like to save most of my calories...usually eat between 400 - 600ish for dinner, and more if I exercise that day. I get a lot of recipes from skinny taste. I do a lot of meat & veggies, fajitas, hamburgers (sometimes I'll do no bun depending on the amount of calories I have), stir fry, perogies (they are good, and I usually have them with a veggie, and it ends up being a pretty low cal dinner), my favorite two recipes from skinny taste are the chicken sausage, peppers, etc....one has pasta, one is roasted with potatoes. Yum. Shrimp is always good and low calorie.

And most of the time I still have enough calories for a WW or skinny cow ice cream bar (anywhere from 45 - 150 calories). I have one just about every night!
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi! MFP gives me 1200 a day, too. I work out for about an hour 5 days a week (30 mins cardio, 30 mins strength) and usually eat back most of my calories so I end up eating around 1500 on days I work out at least.

In general here is how I do 1200:
    Greek Yogurt for breakfast (120 - 170 cal depending on spec)
    Fruit (AM snack: apple, grapes, banana, cherries etc. roughly 100 cals total)
    1/2 sandwich or wrap (lean meat, lots of veggies, hummus as a spread or homemade chicken/egg/tuna salad) I aim for 300-400 cals for Lunch
    Almonds or mixed nuts (PM Snack - 160 - 180 cals)
    Dinner 350-400 cals: veggie burger topped with an over medium egg and reduced fat cheese, side salad...baked or shredded chicken with sweet potatoes and/or other veggie side...baked fish (salmon or tilapia) with rice...I have to keep the portions smaller if I don't work out that day but if I work out I can have nice sized portions.

I don't really snack or keep crap in the house (except the occassional reeces cups) and on days I work out I usually add a 130-170 granola bar before the gym b/c i go on the way home from work and am usually a little hungry then eat dinner after.

I also use a food scale for meat and cheese (my weakness).
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Because constant 'dieting' and staying in a severe calorie deficit causes your metabolism to slow down to accommodate the lack of fuel. Slow down = plateau. You also start losing lean muscles mass which is very bad. Your muscle not only make you look lean and sexy but they LOVE to burn calorie. Lost lean muscle mass = even slower metabolism. So in a nutshell LADIES QUIT STARVING YOURSELF. You CAN eat more to weigh less, it works!!!!

1 - Eat above your BMR (for most of us that's more than 1200 and less than 2000 calories, pick something in between)
    2 - EAT PROTEIN! Try to net between 85 to 100 grams a day
    3 - strength train and lift weights. Have you ever seen a side by side comparison of a woman that weighs 140lbs - one has lot's of lean muscle mass and the other one does not. The one that has preserved her muscles through good nutrition and proper calories looks FANTASTIC and like she weighs less, where as the other woman looks flabby and pudgy still.

SO ONCE AGAIN LADIES...QUIT TRYING TO 'DIET' YOURSELF DOWN TO 110 POUNDS AND A SIZE 0. EAT!
    Thanks for the info. I don't feel like 110 is so bad though. I weighed 110 like 2-3 months ago. My BMR is 1264 kcals, so, I don't assume I should up my intake by that much.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute...there are actually people who believe in the 0 calorie/NEGATIVE calorie foods bull$h!t? :noway:

It's a scary world out there.
  • careyannal
    Options
    I typically do:

Breakfast 250
    Lunch 300
    Dinner 300-400
    And fill in the rest with snacks

Its not too bad once you get used to it, although eating some exercise calories helps

Good luck!
  • suzycav77
    suzycav77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i'm on 1200 and the day's i don't exercise i try to fill up on lot's of veggies, salads or fruit hope this helps :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Zero/negative calories foods? Really? The calorie burn from digesting those foods is negligible.

Thank you!

I also liked the comments "no bad fats" either ... looked more like "No fats" .... some types of fat are GOOD
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low for most people. You should eat above your BMR. Especially since you appear to be fit and don't have a large amount of weight to lose. In fact...your profile says you weigh 118 and want to get down to 113? How tall are you?

Hey, I'm actually 120 looking to get back to 115--slight adjustment there. I'm 5'2''.

Also, just to answer some of the above questions, to clarify when I said I work out alot--it's usually 60 minutes, 5-6 days a week. I do a rotation of 30 mins cardio and 30 mins weights, zumba class, and walking/jogging.
  • Shimmereen
    Options
    misposted and don't know how to delete!

anyway, I'm learning a lot in this discussion! thanks!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I did the 1200 cals a day when I started too. I do HIIT bootcamp training 3-4 days per week and run between 5 and 10 miles per week. I initially lost in the beginning but had plateaued for MONTHS! I was so frustrated! I tried eating back exercise calories, NOT eating back exercise calories, cheat days, Intermittent Fasting, and carb cycling!! LOL

Through reading all kinds of posts, I wasn't eating enough for MY body. I did a ton of research, gave myself a headache with all the numbers, but have finally figured it out and it's working for me now....btw I only have about 10 lbs to lose. I'm 5'5" and am 139 lbs.

What I'm doing, and what's working for ME is that I calculated my BMR and TDEE and am going from there. I'll adjust these numbers as my weight changes. I use the 'Sedentary TDEE' number and reduced it by 15%.

BMR = 1370

TDEE @ sedentary = 1645 (less 15%) = 1398

I have set MFP at 1400 cals per day. I use a HRM to track my exercise calories burned and I EAT THEM BACK.

So....If I have a rest day and don't workout, I eat 1400 cals for the day.

If I exercise and burn 400 cals I eat 1800 cals for the day. 1400 base cals + 400 exercise cals = 1800 cals but I NET 1400 cals for the day.

I've also reset my macros to 30% protein, 40% carbs, and 30% fat.

Seems so simple to me now, but I was completely confused as to how much I should be eating for weeks!!! It's working like a charm. I lost a full pound this last week, I feel better, sleep better, and have energy for my workouts.