Health foods you try to tell yourself are yummy? But aren't.

Options
You're doing it, you're on a diet! Woo! But now you have to substitute those delicious high calorie foods for subsitutes. And sometimes those alternative foods don't do the trick, no matter how much you're forcing yourself to think "YUM this is so much better than ___" when you really know it's not ANYwhere close.

My recent one is hot chocolate. In the past I would put one or even two packs of the milk chocolate mix in a cup. Now I've switched to the "diet" mix, and it's "good" just not as good as the real thing...

Another is anything that has peanut butter and chocolate comined into a diet substance. It's not even CLOSE. Fiber One has 90 calorie pb brownies, but I would much prefer a peanut butter twix!

What foods are you convincing yourself are yummy?

Replies

• LuckyTerrier
    LuckyTerrier Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta. I love pasta, so I'm trying to substitute whole wheat, but it is an uphill battle. I just think it tastes gross. Hopefully I'll get used to it eventually.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta. I love pasta, so I'm trying to substitute whole wheat, but it is an uphill battle. I just think it tastes gross. Hopefully I'll get used to it eventually.

I used to think this but I love whole wheat pasta now! I hate whole wheat penne though, I can only eat the fusilli... ^^ not sure what the difference is haha.
    I will never ever learn to love kale/spinach/leafy greens. Ever.
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options

What worked for me is immersing ALL your breads/grains with whole wheat. Whole wheat breads, pastas, bagels, flour (for baking), etc etc.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love whole wheat pasta, plus it's not so fussy about being over cooked!

I can't stand tofu! Blurgh!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    i agree with the whole wheat pasta....and turkey anything. the only time i really want turkey is if it's thanksgiving or a sliced turkey breast sandwich. turkey sausage is "okay" but the real thing is soooo much better. i don't even buy turkey bacon. no point. turkey burgers are okay, but i'd rather use lean ground beef than bone-dry turkey.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, turkey mince! Ewww! Although we did get some sliced turkey for sandwiches from Costco which is delicious and moist.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Most "diet" or "low fat" food substitutions are not yummy, nor are they "healthy". Real food tastes yummy. Eat real food. "Low calorie" or "low/no fat" or "diet" are NOT synonymous with "healthy". For me personally, no grains are a "health food", especially wheat, so choosing whole wheat over white flour has no bearing. I get fiber and carbs from real veggies.

Everything I currently eat is yummy; I wouldn't eat it otherwise. If your body is grossed out by something, there could be a reason. :wink:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying to convince myself. I like all kinds of veggies. But carrot chips and raw green beans are NO where near as yummy as a bag of sweet heat potato chips. Never have been. Never will be.

I just tell myself the raw green beans are crunchy enough to satisfy the movie/hanging out/need a snack munchies, and save the chips for after a run or some time when I've run off the calories in advance.
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I try not to substitute high calorie foods for their less calorie substitutes, for instance bacon for turkey bacon? Oh hell no. I want the bacon, but I'll have to do with less of it.

However, I've convinced myself diet sodas are good, when really they're killing my soul slowly... All sodas actually do this, but aspartame is especially a soul-killer.

And who ever said grilled chicken is as good as fried chicken is just lying. Though, if done right it can be quite good, but nowhere near as tasty as fried deliciousness.
  • JulesAtkinson1
    JulesAtkinson1 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Fish. Of any kind. I cannot, cannot get past the smell. I've tried all sorts of recipes, grililng, baking, poaching, etc. I've tried all sorts of seasonings. I cannot, cannot do it, Sam-I-Am. :sick:
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I don't try to convince myself that anything is yummy. I try it. Usually once. Maybe twice. If I don't like it, I don't eat it.
    Only thing that comes to mind is Tofu. Tried cooking a couple of times. Doesn't work for me. I don't bother any more.

I must say though, only needed to "try" whole wheat pasta once. Tastes much better than the "regular" stuff. It actually has some flavor to it!
    And I am now addicted to greek yogurt. Don't like the fruit on the bottom kind. I mix up my own concoctions.
  • LuxHappens
    LuxHappens Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My taste buds must go through cycles because I experience periods of like and dislike (sometimes even repulsion) toward certain foods. For instance, I ate hummus almost daily for months on end, and suddenly -- I can't stand the stuff. Haven't eaten it in over a year now!

Same thing with tomatoes. Quick backstory: as an 9-year-old kid, I hated tomatoes. My Granny taught me that I can learn to enjoy things I might not like at first, so I began stacking my daily lunch sandwiches high with tomato slices until I loved the damn things!
    Recently, I realized I no longer enjoy raw tomatoes -- but I still eat them regularly. It's not torture! It also isn't necessarily enjoyable, but big deal -- the nutrition is worth it, and eventually my silly tongue will come around again.

I'm certainly not about depriving myself (check my food diary if you like); I enjoy most of the things I consume. But sometimes it's about sacrifice and making proper choices, and to me that means you won't always be in love with every bite.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Personally, the longer I eat healthy foods, I acquire a taste for them, and start to dislike foods that I have been avoiding. For instance, I always love Jarritos Mandarin soda from Mexico. I popped one open today to have with dinner, and i could not palate it. I dumped half of it down the sink. Other than dark chocolate, I have grown to dislike most candy. Dark chocolate is a part of my regular diet. So, if you are willing, you can actually start to really like those foods that at first do not appeal to you. I am a food person, and love exploring. I have to say, I acquire the taste as much through the will to do so as through exposing myself to the foods. I did it with onions, lamb, chipotle and many more. Food is a passion to me though, as is good beer, fine scotch and quality sticks (cigars)! ;-)
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, taste like dirt
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything I don't like. It's not worth the bother. If you limit yourself to tying to eat what you call "health foods" you tend to not eat at all, which is just as bad as eating crap. I just make better choices with the foods I do eat, and eat less frequently things I know aren't as good for me. If i crave something, I eat the real thing and move on. It's worse if you can't kill the caving with a substitute, because you keep trying, and therefore eat more crap while trying to fill the void.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm not picky, so I eat a lot of things I don't LOVE, but I won't eat anything I don't LIKE. I was just thinking of starting a "what would you never eat no matter how 'healthy' it was proven to be" thread and whole wheat pasta would be my #1 on there. Blech. Life is too short. Really, I'd rather have a bite of a real candy bar than a bag of "CHOCO-FLAVORED DIET HEALTH FIBER YUMYUMS!"
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Virtually any "fat free" foods that are supposed to be filled with fat. Fat free sour cream? No way, it's better to find a healthy substitute that you enjoy.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    WHole wheat pasta,tastes weird and has a bizarre texture.QUinoa I used to not like,but now I can eat it by doctoring it up with chicken broth and vegetables.Tofu,sounds weird,has no taste and feels weird.I have to say,I like the ground turkey/chicken,but I doctor it up w/spices.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    None, I eat foods I like
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    RICE CAKES!! I call them "air cookies". lol