Health foods you try to tell yourself are yummy? But aren't.

Options

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, taste like dirt

Make it with chicken broth.

I like most foods. That's why I have to log my food.
  • spireswife1
    Options
    For me is FISH, I just don't like seafood but I know fish is really healthy compared to Hamburgers and Steaks mmmm..*drooling*; so I try to eat it at least once every two weeks and only because Chicken and Pork Chops gets boring....The only reason I dont eat red meat is because I have to have fries with hamburgers and mashed potatoes with steak lol. Veggies just taste way better to me with white meat.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm strange, but if I think it tastes gross I don't eat it. I'm near 100% Paleo and like plenty of vegetables so this simply isn't a problem for me.

#1 example: Beets. I know they are healthy and good for you, but I think they taste like dirt. I've tried them every way possible, just isn't happening for me.
  • spireswife1
    Options
    Maybe I'm strange, but if I think it tastes gross I don't eat it. I'm near 100% Paleo and like plenty of vegetables so this simply isn't a problem for me.

#1 example: Beets. I know they are healthy and good for you, but I think they taste like dirt. I've tried them every way possible, just isn't happening for me.

Same for me too on the Beets, will never again eat those!!
  • spireswife1
    Options
    Avocado...

Oh sweet mother of God.

Well, I appreciate you posting this because neither of my kids will eat avocado and I'm like, what? Who doesn't like avocado? They're so creamy and delicious! EVERYBODY loves them! So at least now I know they're not alone. (And I have also learned that they will eat avocado cucumber soup, if I don't tell them what it is, so if anyone ever holds a gun to your head and demands that you eat one, you might like to try that way.)

Do you have a recipe for the soup, sounds yummy :) and is it high in Calories?
  • spireswife1
    Options
    Ok, a weird one, bananas - well they are yummy, but..... It's not that I don't like them in things - smoothies, banana loaf, on toast with cinnamon sugar etc, but eating it raw, for some reason makes me nauseous - think it's the texture? I've tried several times, yesterday I decided was my last. Will just have to accept I can't have them straight, will have to smoothie them up instead!

Im the same way, I love Banana flavoring but a banana itself is disgusting, and I believe your right the texture is way off
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything I don't like. It's not worth the bother. If you limit yourself to tying to eat what you call "health foods" you tend to not eat at all, which is just as bad as eating crap. I just make better choices with the foods I do eat, and eat less frequently things I know aren't as good for me. If i crave something, I eat the real thing and move on. It's worse if you can't kill the caving with a substitute, because you keep trying, and therefore eat more crap while trying to fill the void.
    this....
  • careyannal
    Options
    Virtually any "fat free" foods that are supposed to be filled with fat. Fat free sour cream? No way, it's better to find a healthy substitute that you enjoy.

I don't like sour cream so that's not an issue, but I see people drinking fat free half and half.... Wait, what? That doesn't even make sense to me
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Anything with Kale Juice in it.
    Yeah, I never acquired a taste for that… I tried, but is just to strong… There are so many great alternatives, I don't know that I would go there again...
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything I don't like. It's not worth the bother. If you limit yourself to tying to eat what you call "health foods" you tend to not eat at all, which is just as bad as eating crap. I just make better choices with the foods I do eat, and eat less frequently things I know aren't as good for me. If i crave something, I eat the real thing and move on. It's worse if you can't kill the caving with a substitute, because you keep trying, and therefore eat more crap while trying to fill the void.
    this....
    I agree. I don't "diet" any longer. Period. I play with food, and try to find what I like. Food is a passion with me. I went to culinary school, and I simply love flavors. I will only use lard, butter or extra virgin olive oil for cooking. (Peanut oil for deep fat frying… which I never do any more anyway.) I love fruit, and there isn't any meat/poultry I dislike. There are certain fish I will not eat. My palate likes quality, healthy or no. So, I will stick with mostly healthy food, and there is an abundance of delicious healthy food, BTW. My main desire with food is to eat micro-nutrient rich food. My breakfast and post w/o shake have pretty much all the micro-nutrients I need, so my lunch and dinner can be more flexible as long as I get the macro-nutrients I need.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Salad! I don't even try to eat salad anymore. I always end up picking out all the nice bits and then being left with a big bowl of lettuce. Yuk.
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Another is anything that has peanut butter and chocolate comined into a diet substance. It's not even CLOSE. Fiber One has 90 calorie pb brownies, but I would much prefer a peanut butter twix!

Experiencing this now with Atkins Advantage..and have tried the Fiber One brownies.... Just does not work! For some reason I have the faint sensation i'm eating some sort of pesticide...

on the other hand...i have developed a thing for broccoli... ESPECIALLY roasted broccoli...it's tasty
  • karotladee
    karotladee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    LOL!
    I'm can't get into fish either. I can stomach tuna @ lunch but really have to be in the mood
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and couscous.

Blegh..
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't eat things I do not like - I just portion control the stuff that actually is yummy.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i make this super delicious chicken and vegetable soup in my crockpot...well i decided to go without chicken...and guess what? It taste HORRIBLE and now i am stuck and i have to eat it! arghhh and i have a whole weeks worth of soup at home! :(
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I have TONS of health foods that I think are disgusting... mainly dairy. Fat free milk... any milk is blech. Cottage cheese is nasty. Yoghurt makes me cringe. Eggs are vomit inducing.

LOL! I can't stand those things... Sad to say. But there is a TON of things I do like so I don't feel like I'm missing out.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    turkey burger vs hamburger...

just not the same. Not gross by any means, but not what I'm craving when I think BURGER
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    If it ain't yummy, I don't eat it.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm getting tired of salad.. but otherwise, I don't eat things I don't like. :) I don't buy the "diet" foods anymore either, buy real food and eat less of it = win.