Has anyone successfully given up coffee?

Options

Replies

• samlankford
    Options
    why would anyone want to give up coffee??!! it has been proven time and time again that it is good to have 1-2 cups a day if you don't crap it up with a bunch of sweetners (fake ones included!!) and a bunch of cream...
  • Mamasota
    Options
    I've got it down to 1 cup in the morning. I used to have 3-4. I don't know that I want to give up the last cup. Unfortunately, I'm not as fond of tea.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yeah, for like a month, after I was getting bad reactions to caffeine (pounding heartbeat waking me up in the middle of the night, or keeping me awake)

Also successfully weaned myself back onto it. YESSSS.

The habit is more addicting than the caffeine. Start with switching to half decaf, then decaf, then maybe herbal tea?
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I was going to, but I just drastically reduced my creamer intake instead. Coffee has health benefits, just drink it in moderation. I have 2 cups every morning. I also drink green tea in the afternoon, which also has great health benefits and only a fraction of the caffeine.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    You can have my coffee when you pry it from my dead shaking hand :drinker:

Seriously I've cut down from practically chain-drinking coffee to three cups a day max. It's water the rest of the day except maybe a diet coke or two with a meal if I'm choosing not to have a glass of some adult beverage that compliments my meal.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I gave it up 3 years ago, I used to drink it all day at work (at least 6 cups/day) I was drinking so much, it was irritating my stomach and making me sick. I started by just cutting back a little at a time. At first, it was no coffee after lunch, then eventually it was only 2 cups in the morning and one with lunch, then I switched to green tea, which still has some caffeine but not as much and I only drink 2 cups of that in the morning and one cup of green tea at lunch and the rest of the day is water.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    LOVE my morning coffee and there are many benefits to drinking coffee. Antioxidants and potassium are just a couple. Besides, there are worse things I could be consuming than coffee - Sugar, Simple Carbohydrates, Highly processed foods, etc etc etc.

Keeping my coffee :drinker:

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • ABrideToBE
    ABrideToBE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Coffee is not bad for you. It's natural! Enjoy and drink it... in moderation, of course.

I did one time try to give up coffee... I had a big headache throughout the day. Never again.
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I drank more tea than coffee, up to 10 big cups per day. I went on a juice detox, green smoothies etc for 7 days about 2 months ago, and I can honestly say I don't want to drink tea or coffee again!
    I drink water and maybe a juice (freshly juiced) My juicer is one of the most used pieces of kitchen equipment I have.
    I feel much better and have a lot more energy
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even want to try, I love it too much! However, I have cut down from around six cups a day to two! =)
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    For the safety of those around me, I should not give up coffee :drinker:

Okay, yes, I actually did try in January for 2 weeks straight. I just wanted to see how I felt without it. I felt depressed more than anything. I just didn't feel like myself, I felt lame. So I gave that up and started drinking again. Each morning I enjoy 2-3 cups of black coffee, no sugar or anything in it.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I *might* be able to exist without coffee, but I'll stab anyone in the eye with a fork who tries to take away my tea.

But I probably couldn't live without coffee either.

Not interested in trying. I have almost no vices left - I'm keeping the caffeine habit.
  • jeepgirl001
    Options
    Quit drinking coffee 5 years ago. I was having some health issues (cysts) at the time and the doctor said I was taking in too much caffeine. I substituted with Ovaltine in the mornings and herbal tea later in the day. I get the chocolate malt Ovaltine and it is like having a hot chocolate but it is packed with vitamins. A year after giving up coffee when I had my checkup my Doctor was surprised that I had no cysts. As of today I haven't had any more cysts and I feel great:)
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I gave it up when I was pregnant with my first; with my second I limited to one cup a day, but then had to give it up while I was nursing because she got all barfy if I didn't. (Aren't babies great?) Now I still drink one cup a day, but I make my coffee *strong* - I realized I use as much grounds for my cup as my in-laws do for their entire pot of coffee, although they are "drink slightly brown-tinted water all day" people so their coffee is exceptionally weak.

Really, there's nothing bad about coffee unless you have a few rare health issues. But if you don't want to drink it for whatever reason, you'll feel fine after a few days to a week - caffeine is something we habituate to really quickly, so 99% of why you "need" coffee in the morning is because you're crashing from yesterday's, not because it gives you "more" energy.
  • chrissylovescj
    chrissylovescj Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me, I grew up in a home of non-coffee/tea drinkers. I acquired a taste (or sorta) for coffee after trying a White Mocha Latte from Starbucks and then for tea after trying a sweet tea from McCalisters. We have a Keurig in my office which is nice and, although I've tried several different coffees (Starbucks included), I really only care for the hazelnut. That being said, I usually drink 1 cup each morning (occasionally 2) M-F only. I am the only member of my family who drinks coffee and tea but I don't mind since I drink in moderation. I had to give it up earlier this year while giving Atkins a shot (I have to use 8 splendas-which equalled too many carbs)....it wasn't hard but I did miss it.
  • lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I drink about 2 cups a day between 7and 9. I use 2 tablespoons of hazelnut creamer and I enjoy this. Other than that I have given up caffeine though and I am glad I did.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    *GASP*

Blasphemy!

:drinker:

What she ^^ said! I don't drink much coffee, partly because the coffee at work is likely brewed from the floor sweep sawdust they use to soak up puke in elementary schools....but I do have a very nice espresso machine at home and when I have time I make a cappuccino in the morning, or brew the espresso and put it over ice with about 4oz of milk for an iced drink....it gets hot here in Texas, so hot coffee isn't always ideal.

I have come to really enjoy hot tea over coffee unless it's high quality coffee/espresso. Coffee in general is rather acidic for my system and tea doesn't bother me.

I have no plan to stop drinking coffee, but I'm not one that needs to have my morning coffee to get going either. I can take or leave coffee/tea in the morning honestly....but it does help on the days I don't get enough sleep, which is usually when I have some.
  • JLaurenWelch
    Options
    I gave up coffee about 8 months and started drinking a "flush" instead. I get it from My Fit Foods.

4 oz unsweetened cranberry juice
    1 oz Liquid B12
    1/2 of a squeezed lemon
    1 TBS of Apple Cidar Vinegar

It tastes horrible in the beginning, but once you get used to it, its not so bad. It seems to give me all the energy I need in the early mornings and is also suppose to help w/ abdominal bloating.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I did not give up coffee, but I gave up putting milk in my coffee (and never used sugar in the first place). There is almost no calories in the coffee itself, and very little sodium, why give it up?
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on giving up my coffee. I have just switched to fat free milk instead of using creamer.