Has anyone successfully given up coffee?

Options

Replies

• azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I was at 4 cups of 70% coffee and 30% french vanilla creamer. Now I'm completely green tea, and drink 4/5 cups of that a day. It was tough at first, but now its what I prefer.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    Why on earth would you quit such a glorious glorious habit!!!???

:noway:

Ok, really..........I have quit when I got pregnant...just went cold turkey. When I started losing weight, I switched to black tea and I was able to seriously cut back on my caffeine intake. I found the gradual cut back was easier to deal with than cutting it cold turkey.

That said......I'm hooked again. And this thread makes me want a latte.
    :drinker:

All of the above except the herbal tea part!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I only drink coffee when it is colder outside now, and I have only 1 cup (well actually my cup is 2 actual cups of coffee) with 4 creamers and 4 splenda.. and I log that as my daily breakfast and then have a snack around 9-10am.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    No. It will NEVER happen.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I was able to for a few months. However I was having headaches everyday. So now I have 1 cup in the morning. It's a big cutback for me. There were days that I was drinking an entire pot of coffee.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm not judging you for wanting to quit. Some people have awful effects on their GI tract due to caffiene. My dad had to quit it all together because he would have pain, cramps, etc and his system just could not tolerate it. He drank caffiene free tea and Sprite and lots of water and did just fine. Caffiene doesn't have that affect on me...I don't guess, I never really paid attention to how I felt when I quit (due to pregnancy--twice...and just to see if I could do it when I was in college). I drink some coffee now, but it's just like half a cup a day...I hardly ever finish my morning cup, but it is comforting so I still get one most mornings. I will tell you I had the headaches and withdrawl symptoms ever time I quit caffiene, but they only lasted a few days to a few weeks and were not intolerable. The funny thing is that I had those same exact symptoms when I started drinking caffiene again after stopping for awhile--it is a powerful substance! Good luck to you in your journey!
  • Moofey2
    Moofey2 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I will not give up my coffee... EVER! * *Drags bag of coffee beans and coffee mug closer** "MY PRECIOUS!!"
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The caffeine alone eventually makes you crash. I drink Starbucks maybe once every two weeks. I used to drink coffee every morning. Since I cut back big time I started having more energy. I drink non caffeinated herbal tea now.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I did. I was drinking 5-6+ cups a day, switched to tea until I was confident that my coffee/crack/addiction was broken and will not have a few mugs per week of decaf. I was in a bad habit of drinking coffee and not eating until mid-afternoon and then pigging out to make up for lost time. I love to have a hot drink in the morning, so I'll usually have a mug of earl grey. Now that seasonal coffees are coming out, I'll probably drink it more often and I looove my skinny peppermint mochas from SB but they're now a TREAT, not a food group. ;)
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I haven't had coffee for a year now, I gave it up on a day off from work and got a slight headache but otherwise I don't really miss it. I used to not eat breakfast on basically live on coffee all day until dinner time and then it was non-stop eating until I was stuffed. Don't miss that either.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    See for me I have the opposite problem, I wish my body liked coffee and reacted favorably to it as I love it, but I can't drink it because I experience:

A) Sweats/nervous energy
    B) Become waaay more hungry
    C) Feel like crap once I've drunk the whole cup, it really drains my energy.
    D) Headache for four hours.

I drink green tea, black tea when I really need a pick me up.

Exercise and tea give me my energy, and good food!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    The caffeine alone eventually makes you crash.

Not if you keep it in your system at all times!
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    *GASP*

Blasphemy!

:drinker:

This! Why oh why would you want to give up coffee?! It's not the coffee that's bad for you but all the stuff folks usually like to put in it. :)
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Has anyone successfully given up coffee?

Are you insane!?! Now I have had to give up a lot of things to lose this weight but coffee? :laugh:

I've given up the donut with the coffee, the flavored creamers and my beloved cream cheese bagel :sad:

But to go cold turkey...No maam! Not doing (pokes out lips and stumps back into the kitchen) :drinker: :drinker:

I drink one "big" cup a day typically around 9 am and I usually "crash" around 11 pm.
  • CassandraMarie3
    CassandraMarie3 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I drink mine black, and once in a while will splurge on a latte or mocha, but that is a rare occurrence. Because of that I enjoy a cup of coffee each morning... I haven't found that it hinders my weight loss or has any negative effects...
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    NOOOO!!!! Don't take away my coffee! I love espresso shots in it, coffee beans in chocolate YUMMMM ( a rare treat) seriously I have associated coffee with breakfast and that's where i limit it. there are other things that can give you true energy. When you feel in a slump drink more water or eat an apple. I tried it instead and it works! Google "foods that give you energy" and you will find a lot of healthy alternatives. cheers!:drinker:
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    I did. I was drinking 5-6+ cups a day, switched to tea until I was confident that my coffee/crack/addiction was broken and will not have a few mugs per week of decaf. I was in a bad habit of drinking coffee and not eating until mid-afternoon and then pigging out to make up for lost time. I love to have a hot drink in the morning, so I'll usually have a mug of earl grey. Now that seasonal coffees are coming out, I'll probably drink it more often and I looove my skinny peppermint mochas from SB but they're now a TREAT, not a food group. ;)

I have read tea has more caffein than coffee course you could make it weaker I guess, as you could coffee,but would miss the taste.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I used to drink coffee from the moment I got to work to the moment I left, and sometimes finish my cup on the way home. I slept like junk, and my teeth weren't quite as white as they used to be. I quit smoking in January (didn't help my teeth either) and all of a sudden coffee just didn't taste as good anymore. Strange once I could actually "taste" it, I didn't like it. I had to wean myself back on to drinking a small cup everyday. I think the health benefits of coffee out weigh the bad stuff. As long as it is in moderation I think coffee is great! I work out in the morning, so now that energy boost is what I need to get going for the day instead of the caffeine.

Once I get halfway to my weight loss goal I am going to have my dentist whiten my teeth as a reward for the weight loss and being smoke free!
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have given up drugs, smoking, jobs, food and a few men. I refuse to give up coffee.

love.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I did for about 4 months then stated having horrible migranes.. I thought to heck with this !! Now I try to keep it only to 2 cups in the morning.. if I want coffee or tea later drink decaf.