Really..... 1400 calories??

Options
Okay... so just starting out paying attention to everything and whatnot.... now if I wasn't watching myself and did my usual eating/snacking/drinking soda all day/night I could easily hit 2,000 calories or more hence the weight gain.
Now that I'm logging I'm finding that most of the time if I avoid my soda addiction and pay attention to what I eat..... I'm barely making 1,000 calories per day.... will snack once in awhile if hungry, but otherwise.... yeah.
At college, so unless I stock up on food items every week or so, which would not go well with my small fridge and small space, don't really have anything else around. and it would feel weird to think that I "have" to eat something. So just wondering if it IS best to hit 1200 calories a day? And if so.... do I account for calories burned off during exercise and have to eat them back as well if I go under the 1200?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of high calorie foods that are full of nutrition. Try some nuts or nut butter on toast.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    It's important to make sure you're actually eating enough.

Eat back your exercise calories.

Stock up on protein bars. They're pretty heavy in calories and protein is necessary.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is tasty and has the calories to put you closer to your goal. It is important to eat ENOUGH but not too much for long-term success.

I lost 42 lbs eating between 1300 and 1700 calories per day (eating exercise calories back).

As long as you eat less than you burn, you'll succeed in the long run. If you end up undereating, you run the risk of long-term nutritional deficiencies which can end up harming your health. It's worth it to just eat a little more and lose slower.
  • Manervia10
    Manervia10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you eat less than 1200 calories your body goes into starvation mode and anytime you eat more than what you burn your body stores that as fat. If you eat 1200-1400 calories a day you do not have to eat more if you exercise because your body is not in starvation mode (that is how most people lose weight), but if you stay around that you will be fine just try to make sure you eat 1200 or more a day.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    If you eat less than 1200 calories your body goes into starvation mode and anytime you eat more than what you burn your body stores that as fat. If you eat 1200-1400 calories a day you do not have to eat more if you exercise because your body is not in starvation mode (that is how most people lose weight), but if you stay around that you will be fine just try to make sure you eat 1200 or more a day.

ugh, really... still!?!

Maintaining a moderate deficit over time is the best and healthiest way to lose weight (fat) and create better eating habits.

You need to look at your diet and figure out what you should be having that is being sacrificed to keep the count so low. In your case, you should really be getting some more protein in your diet. Put in another serve of meat or other protein source in to your daily intake and you will get the count where it needs to be, and you will probably feel fuller.

Once you get into the right habit (and frame of mind) it will get a lot easier :)
  • rosekittie
    rosekittie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to be in your position, in and right after college I lived with my roomates and my meals were cereal and granola bars...now I find things that I can make at home or at work that are cheap and easy. Almond butter and crackers for a good snack, or yogurt and granola. You'll find ways.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Use search function, lots of good posts on his. There is a stickie for newbies abou this.

But yes, you need to eat more. Of the right kinds of stuff, not just fluff.
  • etb23
    Options
    I started this 90 day program made to help lose weight fast and healthy. They have us on a 1200 calorie diet, working out 6 days a week.... and we aren't told to increase our calorie intake because of working out. Hope this helps.
  • herrytews
    Options
    I have been on a low carb diet for 3 months and have lost 50 lbs. My daily calories are 1200 and I have found that to be optimum for weight loss. I haven't needed any more than 1200 either for nutrition or for hunger.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    If you are working out 1400 calories is nothing. If you eat between your BMR and TDEE, you will lose weight. MFP accounts for this by increasing your calories when you exercise, meaning you have to eat the calories back if you want a healthy and sustainable weight loss process.

I am around 116 and when I was losing, I was eating around 1700 (small deficit from my TDEE). Today I am maintaining and eat around 2000. All my calories come from good food sources. I would say during the week it is around 95% healthy/nutrient dense foods and the weekends might have a bit more junk so about 85 - 90% is good.

You can't gain weight at 2000, if anything you are maintaining so you probably ate more than that.
  • tarawhalley
    tarawhalley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've heard numerous things...should we eat back the workout calories? and does increasing calories when working out help with weight loss?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eat one spoonful of peanut butter of a big handful of almonds and there you have the extra 200 calories you need. And a lot of delicious nutrients.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Unsupported by science, but...
    most people who eat that little actually only claim to eat that little. Sometimes it is because they believe misleading label or web site info, sometimes they misread or misinterpret those labels and sometimes they just ignore them...

... NEW FLASH...

If you are overweight and you eat 1200-1400 calories without cheating for a couple of weeks, the odds you won't lose weight are about 1000 to 1...
  • mully4235
    mully4235 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

... NEW FLASH...

If you are overweight and you eat 1200-1400 calories without cheating for a couple of weeks, the odds you won't lose weight are about 1000 to 1...

I'm overweight. I ate less than 1400 calories absolutely no cheating, everything measured and wrote down. I was starving! In 12 weeks how much weight did I lose? 2 pounds. So not worth it if you ask me. I'm starting to think I'd rather be fat.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

... NEW FLASH...

I'm overweight. I ate less than 1400 calories absolutely no cheating, everything measured and wrote down. I was starving! In 12 weeks how much weight did I lose? 2 pounds. So not worth it if you ask me. I'm starting to think I'd rather be fat.

e9d1d1442c731c981250c100951512c4.gif
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Okay... so just starting out paying attention to everything and whatnot.... now if I wasn't watching myself and did my usual eating/snacking/drinking soda all day/night I could easily hit 2,000 calories or more hence the weight gain.
    Now that I'm logging I'm finding that most of the time if I avoid my soda addiction and pay attention to what I eat..... I'm barely making 1,000 calories per day.... will snack once in awhile if hungry, but otherwise.... yeah.
    At college, so unless I stock up on food items every week or so, which would not go well with my small fridge and small space, don't really have anything else around. and it would feel weird to think that I "have" to eat something. So just wondering if it IS best to hit 1200 calories a day? And if so.... do I account for calories burned off during exercise and have to eat them back as well if I go under the 1200?

You are putting the cart before the horse. How do you know that you eat 1000 calories a day ? So far you have not logged one single item. Maybe you should start logging, see how you do and then start worrying about how many calories to eat.
    Good Luck !
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

... NEW FLASH...

Too bad. Worked like a charm!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    If you are working out 1400 calories is nothing. If you eat between your BMR and TDEE, you will lose weight. MFP accounts for this by increasing your calories when you exercise, meaning you have to eat the calories back if you want a healthy and sustainable weight loss process.

I am around 116 and when I was losing, I was eating around 1700 (small deficit from my TDEE). Today I am maintaining and eat around 2000. All my calories come from good food sources. I would say during the week it is around 95% healthy/nutrient dense foods and the weekends might have a bit more junk so about 85 - 90% is good.

You can't gain weight at 2000, if anything you are maintaining so you probably ate more than that.

im 5'2 and if I eat 2000 cals a day I gain weight. So maybe you should find out from the OP how tall she is before you give out this sort of information
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    obviously on a person to person basis but i find 1600-1800 is easy to reach beyond that i have to force myself, just eat more protein, nuts, and dairy. and eat 5 meals a day instead of 3.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't. Myths like this confuse people.

Starvation mode is something the human body does when there is less than 5% body fat remaining, you know, before you start to die.