Really..... 1400 calories??

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If you are working out 1400 calories is nothing. If you eat between your BMR and TDEE, you will lose weight. MFP accounts for this by increasing your calories when you exercise, meaning you have to eat the calories back if you want a healthy and sustainable weight loss process.

I am around 116 and when I was losing, I was eating around 1700 (small deficit from my TDEE). Today I am maintaining and eat around 2000. All my calories come from good food sources. I would say during the week it is around 95% healthy/nutrient dense foods and the weekends might have a bit more junk so about 85 - 90% is good.

You can't gain weight at 2000, if anything you are maintaining so you probably ate more than that.

im 5'2 and if I eat 2000 cals a day I gain weight. So maybe you should find out from the OP how tall she is before you give out this sort of information

Well to be fair I'm 5'3" and 2000 calories a day would take me to a dropping .5lb a week. More than height is at play.

3db4abb1fda64dfa322c6e88f387dc53.gif
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Zombies...zombies everywhere
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you are working out 1400 calories is nothing. If you eat between your BMR and TDEE, you will lose weight. MFP accounts for this by increasing your calories when you exercise, meaning you have to eat the calories back if you want a healthy and sustainable weight loss process.

I am around 116 and when I was losing, I was eating around 1700 (small deficit from my TDEE). Today I am maintaining and eat around 2000. All my calories come from good food sources. I would say during the week it is around 95% healthy/nutrient dense foods and the weekends might have a bit more junk so about 85 - 90% is good.

You can't gain weight at 2000, if anything you are maintaining so you probably ate more than that.

im 5'2 and if I eat 2000 cals a day I gain weight. So maybe you should find out from the OP how tall she is before you give out this sort of information
    Height really has very little to do with metabolism. Weight and lean body mass are much more accurate indicators. Activity level is the most important part. If you truly gain weight on 2000 calories a day, you are very much the exception.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    i feel so jealous sometimes reading these kind of threads..i never ever face this issue, actually the opposite..every single day!
  • Achrya
    Options

Hey! That's not very supportive. Shame. Needs more rainbows.

EBiFfWi.png?1
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Height really has very little to do with metabolism. Weight and lean body mass are much more accurate indicators. Activity level is the most important part. If you truly gain weight on 2000 calories a day, you are very much the exception.

I am 5'2" and very active and I maintain right around 1500. If I ate 2,000 I would gain a pound a week!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

EBiFfWi.png?1

Rainbow zombies?!
  • Achrya
    Options

EBiFfWi.png?1

Rainbow zombies?!

I assume that was a challenge.

Zombie_Rainbow_by_Cannibal_Cartoonist.jpg
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have talked with a friend of mine that is a registered dietician....

According to her... when you workout, do not eat back the calories that you burn...finally... she told me that too many people stress about eating 1200 - 1500 calories... As long as you are eating around 1000 - 1100 calories and you are feeling content and are not hungry...

This dietician works not only at the local hospital, but as a nutritionist at several gyms here!....

She said if you are hungry, to eat a piece of fruit or something lite...

In doing this I have finally started losing weight... I keep checking in with her, so I know I am okay...

If you have questions or concerns, I recommend that you contact a Nutritionist/Dietician or a physician... to put your mind at ease!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

EBiFfWi.png?1

Rainbow zombies?!

I assume that was a challenge.

Zombie_Rainbow_by_Cannibal_Cartoonist.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I :heart: you
  • gothdiva1
    gothdiva1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you really are logging and weighing everything and still only reach 1000 calories and are not losing fat, here are some things to try/think about:

Take your measurements weekly. If you see a difference, you're on the right track. Weight is only one way of keeping track of your health progress. Muscle is more compact, and takes up less space than fat. So if you're building muscle, your weight may not change. If measurements aren't changing, then you aren't fueling your body well enough to build muscle.

Are you eating diet/light/less fat versions of your food? Try putting that real ingredient back in, and see whether or not that makes a difference. Fat in the right foods is not your enemy. You need them! Besides, those diet/light foods are loaded with non-nutritional chemicals that are questionable to your health in the long run. Not to mention that they load them with sodium to taste better. More real food, less processed crap.

Your body adjusts to the same routine after a while. Change up your routine, eat heavy for a couple of days to throw your metabolism off, then bring it back down and see what happens. Change your workouts. If you are close to your goal, you may have to work harder to see results now. Doing only cardio? Pick up some heavy stuff for a while!

Drink a lot of water. Yes, you'll pee a lot in the beginning, but it's good for you, and helps flush things out.

Good luck, and I hope you work it out!
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Who resurrected this thread? Haha.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

Someone who knew about the 'search' button
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

That is true, and we should be celebrating that fact. It seems like a well-guarded secret around MFP these days.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

That is true, and we should be celebrating that fact. It seems like a well-guarded secret around MFP these days.

:drinker:
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options

I knew there was a reason we're friends
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight. I ate less than 1400 calories absolutely no cheating, everything measured and wrote down. I was starving! In 12 weeks how much weight did I lose? 2 pounds. So not worth it if you ask me. I'm starting to think I'd rather be fat.
    I call shenanigans!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have 1,584 calories......... left today........ for dinner (it's currently 6:23pm)!!
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have 1,584 calories......... left today........ for dinner (it's currently 6:23pm)!!
    Me too, I usually have a lot of exercise cals left at the end of the day