Should I shave/buzzcut my thinning hair?

Options
3shirts
3shirts Posts: 294 Member
So I have been aware of my hair getting pretty thin for a few years. I'm 30 now and it's receding a lot on my forehead and starting to thin at my crown. Here are a couple of photos (literally just took these):

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5757769/Hair1.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5757769/Hair2.jpg

For a while now I've struggled to do anything with my hair that doesn't look either thinning or like I'm trying too hard to hide it. I've had a look on some forums and they suggest that a buzz cut or even shaved head might be worth a try but obviously it's a bit of a big step!
It can look pretty great, thinking of Jason Statham, but let's be realistic here. Do you think it would suit me? Are there any ways to get an idea of the shape of your head other than just going for it?

Replies

• HunterKiller_wechange
    Options
    I know how you feel. Mine started growing inwards when i was in my mid 20's. I shaved my head and never looked back. I would probably keep it shaved now even if i could grow it. So I say go for it. Shave it off. You say your pretty broad so i reckon it will suit you and if you don't like it just grow it back. :)

rsz_cooltext764704302.jpg
    17427511.png
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    Yes, I use a #1 on my trimmer and its much better than thinning hair partially covering my head. Looks alpha too ;) lol
  • dizzydi1968
    Options
    Absolutely. Shave it off now! Nothing looks worse than trying to hide it.

As for Jason Statham...... *wanders off for a cold shower*
  • tnmyers23
    tnmyers23 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't know about shaving it off but a buzz cut will do wMy husband has thinning hair and he buzz cut it and it looks so much better.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I wouldn;t shave it

Go to a good barbers, get them to cut it for you. Yuo'll be blad long enough
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think it would suit you. You can do buzz cut to get comfortable with it, then shave it if you want. Go for it!
  • trixieflow
    trixieflow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    buzz it = )
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    YOu look pretty good in your profile pic, i must say!! :wink:

But, seriously, when my husband started balding on top (much more than you are) in his 20s, he just started shaving it all off. He's been doing it ever since. Bald can be pretty sexy!! Try it. If you don't like it, you can always grow it back out like it is.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    my hubby shaves his and it looks great I think it will look great on you too. Might take a few days to get used to looking at yourself ehehe but I think once you do it you will love it and you wont feel self conscious about the thinning areas :P my dad is 70 and still does the combover... PLEASE do not do the combover lol!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    go for it! buzz first and if you like the shape of skull you see, go for the shave!

i don't want to creep you out, but you are obviously an attractive guy - the hair thing will be nominal. what i mean is that you have other things going for you besides you hair! and besides that exotic bird on your shoulder!

i have several male friends that keep their hair buzzed very short and close to the scalp for the same reason. some of them have done this since their mid 20s and some have started to in their 40s.

just remember to protect your scalp from the sun, etc.!!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    It's all going to come down to personal preference, I'd say don't shave it but I don't think many guys actually carry off the completely bald head that well :ohwell:
  • Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My husband did. It was a great idea. Do it!
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a female perspective... I am going to suggest you shave it or buzz it. Seriously. A man with thinning hair, who accepts it, is always more appealing then the guy who is trying to hang on for dear life to the little bit of hair he has left.

For me, the buzzed or bald head is way more attractive then the hanging on.

Hope that helps. :)
    Michelle
  • emmalilypad
    emmalilypad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My father started buzzing his about 10 years ago, and he used it as a change to update his look. He got new, younger looking glasses, bought himself a leather jacket and looked awesome!

I think buzzed hair looks great on men.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I so agree with the other ladies here. Shave or buzz it. That can be very very appealing. I know a couple of my male friends who refuse to let it go. One has just strands left. He literally looks like a baby doll with some of the hair missing. How is that better than a bald head? And the other is doing the comb up to the front of the head. Quite sad
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, really nice comments. I think I'll go to the hairdressers next week, speak to him about it and go for the buzz. Bit nerve-wracking but like you say, I can always grow it back if I hate it.

@tbskip and the_waffler... :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Hair does grow pretty quick, about 1/2" a month, give or take. You dont necessarily have to go all one length if you dont want? High and tight style...there are options. That being said I think you can carry a shaved head off well...lookit those dimples!!!:smile:
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    No... let it grow out.
    Bald heads are for losers.
    <

But in all seriousness, IF you decide to take it off, crop it short first and leave it cropped for a few weeks. Let your scalp get tanned a bit before shaving it all off.
    If you just decide to take it all off at the same time, you will have something we used to call "Grape Head". It is when your head is pasty white and the rest of your face and stuff is tan.
  • shoppingmaniac86
    shoppingmaniac86 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    bald men... tend to do something for me... i like a guy with a nice buzzed head ... jason statham style
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    best idea ever! You will be so glad you did :)