Should I shave/buzzcut my thinning hair?

Options

Replies

• dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about the thinning hair, then get rid of it all. I speak from experience. I noticed on a family video one day that I was getting that lighter patch on the back of my head. I obsessed about my thinning hair after seeing that video. I had always had a "widow's peak" but that crap on the back of my head was new and bugged me to no end. So, I made the decision to shave my head. My sister got me to a buzz cut first and we made sure I didn't have an extra head or something growing out of my noggin. After that was good, she and my niece took the Bic to my head. I have never given my thinning hair another thought. The wife has grown to tolerate it, other females have complimented me on it and the only thing that has changed over the last 8 years is I've moved up from a Bic to a Mach 3. If you have the shaped head to do it, you won't regret it.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Shave! Bald is sexy!
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Doooo itttttttt!
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    shaved/buzzcut is sexy!!
  • jllove871
    jllove871 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes, I personally think a man looks superb and gentlemanly with a nice short or tight cut! My husband has always kept his similiar to his military days and for a time I begged and pleaded for the full look, but now, nothing hotter than a clean cut! In my humble opinion
    Beats a comb over LOL
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take a bic to your head just yet but maybe start off with a shorter cut then gradually work it shorter until you're comfortable with a length. My husband buzz's (?) his head every weekend (clip 1 and/or 2 depending on his mood) at this point and I clean up the edges in the back. Looks great!

IMO, Women will most likely prefer a confident guy who doesn't give a rats @$$ that his hair is thinning and keeps it clean to a guy who is trying to comb over, ponytail a lost cause or going to extremes to hide it. It’s genetics and luck of the draw...OWN IT!
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of shaved heads personally, but I absolutely agree that you should just embrace it - a buzz cut would look great. Go to a decent barber for help.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I would say YES! I loooove guys with super short hair. My boyfriend was exactly the same way where his hair was thinning at a very young age and receding. He shaved it to go into the Army and I thought he looked 100x better that way. Love it :)
  • cdhaskins1
    cdhaskins1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Same situation here...buzz it bro.
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! It will look much better short/buzzed.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm...Jason Statham....

DO IT. Now, I admit I am biased, because I'm in the military and am surrounded with alpha males with shaved heads and buzz cuts every day...so perhaps that's affected my preferences somewhat. But I dig it, and I think it'll suit you (from what I can tell of your photo). Worst case, you grow it back in a month or two. Best case, you look HOT! :-)

I do agree with the poster who cautioned you to buzz first, then shave, to let your scalp color catch up with the rest of you.
  • 44by44th
    44by44th Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Only one way to find out. Seriously though, I just took this plunge myself, exactly 9 days ago. I have the "horseshoe" male pattern baldness that first started thinning out and receding in my early 20's. By 25, there was no point in trying to hide it any longer. I bought some electric clippers with the various attachments and for the next 19 years it was never longer than 1/4".

I know guys that have been wet-shaving thier heads for years, and they've always told me, "don't knock it till you try it". I didn't want to freak my wife out, so I talked it over with her in advance. Two Mondays ago, I did it. I was sure I'd have the color variation, and OH BOY, did I, plus a little razor burn. I cut myself once because I was in a hurry that time, but I'm sure that as I get better at it, those little accidents won't be very common. I go out into the sun every chance I get, and the color is beginning to even out somewhat.

Of the family & friends have seen me since, some have been supportive, and some not so much. The fact that, what little hair I did have left began turning grey (seemingly overnight), coupled with the weight loss, led a handful of people to jump to the conclusion that I must be sick or something.

Keep this in mind: you're not the only one who'll need time to get used to it. It's SOOO easy to freak out about how it looks the first time you see it in the mirror, so I promised myself that I wouldn't even CONSIDER going back for at least two weeks. I'm not saying it's for everyone - I'm not even saying I'll keep it this way myself, but I have been where you are now, and maybe something in my story will help you decide for yourself.

Either way, confidence comes from within, not what other people think.
  • sktllmdrhmzz
    sktllmdrhmzz Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I buzz, sometimes I don't. Go for it and see how you like it. It grows back. There's some both ways in my pics.
  • NotSoBigNeil
    NotSoBigNeil Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Shave the lot off dude.. you'll never look back. I've been shaving mine over 10 years now and it's so easy ;)
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm actually doing it in a few minutes for the first time ever. lol
  • michelle850
    michelle850 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My husband is much thinner on top than you are, I think it's sexy when it's buzzed super short. I usually do it for him with the clippers and use the blending (smallest) attachment. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Only one way to find out. Seriously though, I just took this plunge myself, exactly 9 days ago. I have the "horseshoe" male pattern baldness that first started thinning out and receding in my early 20's. By 25, there was no point in trying to hide it any longer. I bought some electric clippers with the various attachments and for the next 19 years it was never longer than 1/4".

I know guys that have been wet-shaving thier heads for years, and they've always told me, "don't knock it till you try it". I didn't want to freak my wife out, so I talked it over with her in advance. Two Mondays ago, I did it. I was sure I'd have the color variation, and OH BOY, did I, plus a little razor burn. I cut myself once because I was in a hurry that time, but I'm sure that as I get better at it, those little accidents won't be very common. I go out into the sun every chance I get, and the color is beginning to even out somewhat.

Of the family & friends have seen me since, some have been supportive, and some not so much. The fact that, what little hair I did have left began turning grey (seemingly overnight), coupled with the weight loss, led a handful of people to jump to the conclusion that I must be sick or something.

Keep this in mind: you're not the only one who'll need time to get used to it. It's SOOO easy to freak out about how it looks the first time you see it in the mirror, so I promised myself that I wouldn't even CONSIDER going back for at least two weeks. I'm not saying it's for everyone - I'm not even saying I'll keep it this way myself, but I have been where you are now, and maybe something in my story will help you decide for yourself.

Either way, confidence comes from within, not what other people think.

Thanks for this. Great post and very good advice.

Thanks to everyone, the number of replies has really surprised me and been very supportive and constructive. I am going to book an appointment with my hairdresser and will post back on this thread when it's done.
  • 3shirts
    Options
    Hairdresser is on holiday at the moment so I'm booked in for next Friday evening (5th Oct)!

I'll post the result up here. Thanks again everyone
  • 3shirts
    Options
    I DID IT!

Here I am just before:

before.jpg

And here it is now!:

after.jpg