The Straight Poop

Options
124»

Replies

• Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I will tell you that when I was consistently netting 1200 calories a day I was constipated, when I upped my calories to net 1500-1700 due to a long plateau then I started being regular again and lost a little more weight too.
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    A trip to Taco Bell might do the trick :laugh:
  • JudeGilford
    JudeGilford Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is a great conversation with an important topic. Thanks. I saw a couple of references to flaxseed and I wanted to mention another added benefit. If you've ever stepped out of bed and felt all those aches and pains, you can stop that forever with ground flaxseed. Drink 2 Tablespoons of ground flaxseed with a little juice. I use 1/2 Cup Cranberry, juice of 1/2 lemon, the flaxseed and another cup of water. Digestive results are awesome, and so is the joint relief. I've been doing this for seven years and absolutely swear by it.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I went thru my entire list of things( including just about EVERYthing you listed and all the other replies)
    I've tried- to no avail- with my Dr.
    She just shook her head in disbelief.............

FINALLY had my thyroid checked....THAT was the culprit all along. Seems it also controls bowel functions- WHO KNEW?!

Something to consider asking your own Dr.-
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hey Jana, be careful, constipation is nothing to fool with.

Lot's of water, and if it continues go to see a doctor and if you have pain at all INSIST on a colosopy.

I had undiagnosed diverticulitus and ended up having a huge piece of my colon removed in an emergency surgey and I currently have a colostomy.

So please, watch it, and talk to your doctor.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My youngest is on daily Miralax as he has a big problem going. I had the same problem as a kid, and somewhat as an adult.

Right now, I take an Omega supplement in the morning, and drink a cup or two of decaf peppermint tea and that really helps. Everyone knows that fiber helps you go, and so does water, but its not a magical cure all. Despite my best efforts, I still couldn't go (slow moving bowels maybe?? lol). But this seems to work for me. Good luck.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Try a stool softener instead of a laxative (I agree, there is no gentle laxative). I had surgery a few years ago and was on pain medication with constipation as a side effect. I took a 1:1 ratio of stool softener to pain pill and I had no urgency and also was able to go with no straining which was key post-surgery!
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If I notice it's been a few days, I'll take a dose of Miralax in my coffee. It is literally tasteless. Then, within a few hours, viola! I will also take a stool softener the following day just to make sure things continue on.

Oh, and Miralax doesn't make you "run" to the bathroom. You just notice it's time and you can go at your own pace. No cramping or other issues.
  • Linda09189
    Options
    eat more greens, that Poo will come right out.......
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    What are you considering constipated? Two days without? Four days without?

I ask because I was a daily goer (usually multiple times a day) and once if been eating healthier for awhile things slowed down. I talked to my doctor about it, I get plenty of fiber from good sources, I drink lots of water, I eat live culture yogurt, all that stuff, but I just wasn't going every day anymore. But the doctor told me that anything up to four to five days in between is actually still considered perfectly normal and nothing should be taken to speed up the process unless actual physical pain is involved.

So as much as I preferred the every day aspect of my pre-healthy eating life, I've just accepted my much more random, sometimes four or five days without, kind of life. Bodies just process different things differently, doesn't mean anything is wrong.

Which goes back to my initial question, because if you're not going beyond five days in between each time, there probably isn't really anything actionable.

I didnt know that
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

ROLf or Chinese buffet lol
  • yancymichele
    yancymichele Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • I had this problem up to about 2 weeks ago. I have increased my water intake (more than 64oz and I have increased my fiber intake (benefiber). All systems are a go!
  • helpmeherman
    helpmeherman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The only time dieting has made me constipated was many years ago when I stupidly tried to do the Atkins diet. The constipation was so bad that I was in physical pain. (Can we say too much cheese?)

I find that a cup of strong coffee in the morning helps get me moving along in the right direction.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Coffee, broccoli, refried beans. These are miracles! Also, have you tried the benefiber orange chewables? They actually taste pretty good and you can start with just one tablet, then two, until you see how it will affect you.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

ROLf or Chinese buffet lol

Tequila does it for me :smile:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. No matter how many fruits and veggies I eat, when I'm dieting I might not poop for up to 5 days (that was my new record most recently). The only way for me to poop seems to be eating a massive amount of food all at once. Then my body pushes out the old stuff an hour later.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bran. All Bran buds in my yougurt seems to be helping a lot. This came about after a particularly bad bout of constipation that was so bad that after multiple attempts, my body just said "ha ha, we're doing this and I don't care how much it hurts". It hurt. I cried (in pain and relief). I talked to my mom, because who doesn't talk to their parents about this?:laugh: She told me I've always had "going" issues, that my dad and aunt (his sister) have issues. My dad takes a stool softener partly because of this, diverticulitis and medications. My aunt eats All Bran each day. So, I started doing the same and its really helped.

I've tried:
    Fiber tabs: Great unless you don't drink enough water, then it just adds to the problem.
    Smooth Move: I truly hate, hate, hate black licorice which this tastes exactly like. I use it out of desperation, but have added vanilla extract, honey and lemon juice to it just to choke it down.
    Stool Softener: Helps a bit, but takes a while
    Veggies: I have to eat about a pound of mixed greens to see a result. Broccoli gives me really bad gas pains, and there is nothing like being backed up AND having gas that has nowhere to go.
    Grains: Again, fiber is great but if there isn't enough water to keep it moving it has the opposite affect.
    Laxatives: Last resort, but I keep them on standby. (I also have a bottle of castor oil that I've used for a home skin cleansing thing, and would have taken a couple of pulls from it in the above situation if things hadn't worked its self out.)
    Coffee: Doesn't do a darn thing for me. I drink so much each day that I think I've just acclimated to the side effects others see.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options

OMG, i fell off my chiar laughing when I read that!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    Ok I know you drink water... already... But this really seems to help many people I know... 5-6 glasses of water before you brush your teeth yes it sounds gross...but I know many people who do it...and almost immediately it's "plop de plop" ;)... can't hurt to try i guess...

just make sure you brush and floss the previous night ;)
    Really?

It works... I just had to try it myself and pushed my friend to just as well... crap I am never doing it again though...drinking water without brushing even if it has it's health benefits <part of ayurveda or naturopathy treatment ... I am not sure> was pretty difficult and hard!....

but I swear I had to run to the loo! and so did she...and just to see if this is psychological I didn't tell her why I was asking her to do it... <we normally do stupid challenges she thought it was one of them> and she had the same effect :)