Does your body know?

Options
2»

Replies

• brutalrage
    brutalrage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My question would be more "what other ingredients, sodium, etc" are in the bar vs the real food, and how processed is the bar? This will change so much from brand to brand.

Valid question, but what if I said the same "other ingredients" are in the real food too? Say that you sprinkled sugar, salt, or whatever to the food that had the same amount of protein, carbs, and fat. Does your body know the difference?

well the ingredients are always going to vary.
    a lot of protein bars have soy protein (garbage) in them. so in that case, yes, your body would be better suited with real food.

I beleive your body process whey protien better the soy bars. Also another desiding factor to meal reaplacment bar protien and the moral meal bars is the level or sodium in them. More sodium the more your body will retain water.

I am not sure but I think if you take in to much protien at one time your body can react negatively but I am no sure one that.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My question would be more "what other ingredients, sodium, etc" are in the bar vs the real food, and how processed is the bar? This will change so much from brand to brand.

Valid question, but what if I said the same "other ingredients" are in the real food too? Say that you sprinkled sugar, salt, or whatever to the food that had the same amount of protein, carbs, and fat. Does your body know the difference?

well the ingredients are always going to vary.
    a lot of protein bars have soy protein (garbage) in them. so in that case, yes, your body would be better suited with real food.

I beleive your body process whey protien better the soy bars. Also another desiding factor to meal reaplacment bar protien and the moral meal bars is the level or sodium in them. More sodium the more your body will retain water.

I am not sure but I think if you take in to much protien at one time your body can react negatively but I am no sure one that.

Well you may get a little gassy!! LOL
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    i'm curious about the soy protein thing too. i always thought it was good. what makes it bad? (really want to know, not trying to be controversial :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    i'm curious about the soy protein thing too. i always thought it was good. what makes it bad? (really want to know, not trying to be controversial :)

It's not bad per se. It contains phyto estrogens that may or may not be harmful. Depends on the individual.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    If it isn't processed properly it can be anti nutritive, so your body basically can't even use the "protein"............

So I avoid it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

All I need to know is that one of the USA's leading produced foods is soy beans and I know that any "research" done is going to be screwed up... kinda like a few other popular "foods" out there...

That and soy enhances and increases estrogen production... nuff said

This guy has the right idea. Same thing goes with corn and wheat.............
    There's a reason the food pyramid says you need tons of grains, when in reality you don't. It's called money.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

It is highly estrogenic and too much estrogen in men or women is NOT a good thing.

It also wreaks havoc with the Thyroid which is the cause of my hypo-thyroidism as documented by my Doctor when I lived a vegetarian lifestyle.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

All I need to know is that one of the USA's leading produced foods is soy beans and I know that any "research" done is going to be screwed up... kinda like a few other popular "foods" out there...

There's a reason the food pyramid says you need tons of grains, when in reality you don't. It's called money.

B-I-N-G-O!!! I totally agree and I just wish many other people would see this too.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

B-I-N-G-O!!! I totally agree and I just wish many other people would see this too.

Yay, more like minded people. The more I know about soy, the more I'd like to wipe it off the face of the earth (especially the GMO, herbicide resistant stuff). It is NOT healthy (even though it's now in almost everything!), it is inefficient (only 18% of soy beans is fat so that equals more processing than other oil seeds), it's agriculture and/or importation is being forced on third world and developing countries at the expense of better foods farmed more sustainably.... I could go on and on...

I know so many people feeding their babies and children soy products (unfermented) believing that it is the healthiest thing to do; it breaks my heart.