What can I cook and put away?

Options
MVY_
MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
What can I cook on Sunday and put away for the rest of week in portion size? I've tried salad this week.

Replies

• hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Almost anything!

I cook a lot on Sunday's and portion things out for the week, both for lunch and dinner, with work, sports and working out, I don't have much time during the week (as I am sure with most people)

I make a lot of soups and I freeze a few portions that I can pull one of them out in a few weeks (a bit of variety so I am not eating the same thing all week). I also make mini lasagnas, mini turkey meatloafs, casseroles, I also make one or two chicken breasts each week to heat up at some point. You can put those on salads, or make a quasedilla (spelling?) or a chicken taco.

For soups, right now in the freezer I have chicken wild rice, chili, turkey noodle soup, cream of broccoli. After a couple of weeks of freezing a few portions, you will have a big variety to choose from and not a lot of work.

I also cut up or prepare a bunch of fruit and veggies for snacks on Sunday night. Then I grab a container of them to take to work each morning so that I know if I get hungry, I will have something heathly to choose.

Good Luck!
  • grecogab90
    grecogab90 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • danmiller87
    danmiller87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of brown rice. I have a rice cooker and I will cook a huge pot of brown rice and just scoop a measured out cup of rice each day for my lunches. I usually marinate a handful of boneless skinless chicken tenders/breasts and grill them Saturday or Sunday and throw 4-6 oz of chicken into the same tupperware as my rice! If I have extra time I have a big thing of cooked broccoli to go with it. I personally don't like steamed broccoli so I use Alton Brown's recipe for oven baked broccoli which is super tasty!!! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/good-eats/oven-roasted-broccoli-recipe/index.html

That was my go to lunch each week when I lost all my weight. :-)
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of brown rice. I have a rice cooker and I will cook a huge pot of brown rice and just scoop a measured out cup of rice each day for my lunches. I usually marinate a handful of boneless skinless chicken tenders/breasts and grill them Saturday or Sunday and throw 4-6 oz of chicken into the same tupperware as my rice! If I have extra time I have a big thing of cooked broccoli to go with it. I personally don't like steamed broccoli so I use Alton Brown's recipe for oven baked broccoli which is super tasty!!! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/good-eats/oven-roasted-broccoli-recipe/index.html

That was my go to lunch each week when I lost all my weight. :-)

Sounds Yummy!! I am going to have try this!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Soup, chili and stir fry are my go-to meals that I can make a lot of and save for the week. Soup/chili often tastes better the next day.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Soups, chili, and lasagna all get better when reheated, IMO.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Soup, chili and stir fry are my go-to meals that I can make a lot of and save for the week. Soup/chili often tastes better the next day.

Get out of my head! LOL
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Get out of my head! LOL

Only if you promise to share that lasagna!!
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of crock-pot recipes. Most of them are great, and low calorie.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, time to make chilli and a fabulous pork, sweet potato, and apple stew! nom, nom, nom!
  • _granola
    Options
    Yep, soup and chili are great. Fajita filling can be refrigerated or frozen pretty well. Pasta is good too. I made these for this week and they are yummy: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.htm
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Just about everything.

All of the mentioned above...mini egg quiches, meatloaf, spaghetti, rice/stirfry... Possibilities are endless~!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Turkey chili is good after being frozen, so is gumbo :happy:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm confused. I think.

So a box of pasta is 8 servings (1 pound box) so cook the entire thing..divide into tupperware. into each tupperware measure out 1 serving pasta sauce--top with a can of tuna or portion of chicken--put the lid on. Now you have 8 meals already made and divided. Something like that is ~330-400 calories.

You can do the same thing with brown rice, quinoa, or couscous.

You can make 2 boxes of annie's shells and cheddar (1300 calories total) --add a pound of frozen broccoli (120 calories) and a pound of chicken breast (400-500 calories) then divide into 7 servings..less than 300 calories a serving.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Salads actually don't keep very well, but there's a ton of stuff you can make.

I always have home made tomato sauce on hand. I make a big batch on Sundays, separate it into single portions and freeze. You can do the same with soups, stews, chili and a lot of crockpot recipes.

I cook for one, so I always have left over fish or meat when I buy it in the store. If this happens to you, you can make a marinade and throw it in a freezer bag with the raw protein and defrost as needed. It saves time because it will marinate as it defrosts so you won't have to wait later.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I make turkey meatloaf meatballs - just turkey spices and egg whites. I freeze them and take a couple for lunch with cut up veggies. I also make my own protein bars as well as cook up a chicken breast for every day on the weekend, weigh, bag and freeze them and grab them in the morning when assembling my lunch.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Delicious ideas. You guys make me realize how much I suck at planning/cooking ahead of time. :laugh:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I portion out all my yogurt, Peanut butter, eggs and I cook all my chicken for lunches on Sundays.
  • kmmpink
    kmmpink Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Chicken Breast are great to make ahead of time, the possibilities are endless with chicken.
    I also do eggs that i heat up in the morning and put on an english muffin or sandwich thin. You can also make the whole english muffin ahead of time (Muffin, Cheese, egg and meat of choice) wrap them individually in wax paper and freeze them and microwave whenever. You can cook the eggs in a muffin tin in the oven too so they come out round. I also portion out cottage cheese and almonds at the start of every week. Im also going to try make mini turkey meatloafs!
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    moussaka, lasagna, burgers, soup, chili, stew, steamed veggies, baked potato wedges, rice pilaf, tamales, enchiladas, bbq steak or chicken, roasted veggies... etc.