Replies

• DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    My blender is collecting dust. I thought I could make guacamole in it but it doesn't like anything thick. I've also had a number of messy accidents with it. Perhaps I have a junky unit, but it wasn't cheap.

I just bought a food processor. It's great for solid stuff that needs to be liquefied. I even tried it for chopping. As long as I can relax about the non uniformity of the chunks, which is hard for me, it works great. But it's only worth the mess and clean up for really big jobs. Since I eat "riced" cauliflower often, it's going to be useful.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Bump! and yay on your new blender :flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Thin Mint Milk Shake

1 pint of mint chocolate ice cream such as Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs
    8 thin mint cookies
    1 cup of whole milk

Blend

Enjoy
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ! Really did laugh out loud! Now I'm totally blanking on recipes!
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    yummmmmmmmmmp
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I use mine to blender marinades etc. I did a load of jerk seasoning in this at the end of last week for BBQ jerk pork at the weekend.
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Luvmyhubby222 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Speaking of magic and smoothies.....

What is everyone's opinion of the Magic Bullets? I've heard great and not so great things about them. Would love to make smoothies glass by glass with little clean up, but don't want to invest if they are too flimsy to be worth the purchase.
    :wink:
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the link to the smoothie site-- I love smoothies!
  • positivepineapple
    Options
    I have a smoothie almost every day, its a great way to get your greens in. I freeze bananas in little bags, bananas mask the taste of spinach and other greens really well compared to other fruits, but I really don't mind the taste of greens mixed with fruit anyways.

I always use bananas as a base along with other fruit.

Usually my smoothie will have a banana or two, a teaspoon of chlorella or spirulina powder, some greens like kale spinach or mixed baby greens, and some berries or mango. I just use water but some people like almond or regular milk.

Sometimes I add some protein powder.

There are endless possibilities, have fun with your new blender!
  • positivepineapple
    Options
    You can also use your blender to grind up oatmeal for oatmeal pancakes! Yummmmmmmy
  • alsi602
    alsi602 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump...too funny!
  • natbeach
    Options
    bump
  • HealthyMe46
    HealthyMe46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I use a Magic Bullet but not every day.

Orange Julius:
    1 cup vanilla yogurt
    4oz. OJ
    crushed ice
    cinnamon to taste
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • wingednotes
    Options
    Just did greek yogurt with strawberry on bottom, a banana, 4 strawberries, and a half a cup of milk. Very tasty and creamy.
  • ssalmfp
    ssalmfp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Too many smoothie recipes. Blenders are awesome for SOUP. I use an immersion blender for soup, but you can definitely blend with a regular blender, just make sure that you always use the lid, never put boiling soup in it, and don't fill it up all the way, because it will expand, and you don't want soup to explode everywhere and burn your face off. Sorry my recipes don't have weights. I stuck the food scale in a really weird spot late last night and couldn't find it this morning.

Butternut Squash Soup
    1 c. chopped onion
    1 Tbs. butter*
    2 cloves minced garlic
    2 1/2 c. cubed butternut squash
    1 small apple
    2 c. chicken stock
    + 1/2-1 c. water for thinning out the soup.

* You can use oil instead of butter if you want, but I think butter adds a nice flavor. Honestly, the whole thing comes out to about 142 calories per person, so I think you can just go for the butter, ya know?

1) Melt the butter or warm your oil in a pot. Toss on the onions and garlic and let them soften. I chopped my butternut squash during this time. I would probably let them cook about 5 minutes.

2) Add the butternut squash and the apple, let them cook for about 5 minutes, mixing everything occasionally.

3) Add the chicken stock and set everything to boil until the squash pieces are soft (time varies depending on the size of your squash chunks. I like to do really small pieces so they cook faster).

4) Blend with an immersion blender or in a regular blender in batches. Add water as you are blending to achieve the consistency that you want.

This makes just a little over 3 cups, with about 142 calories per cup (according to mfp's recipe calculator). I like to add a little dairy to mine, so I put a tablespoon of creme fraiche on mine (this adds 110 calories). You can also use sour cream or cream cheese as well, though the soup is pretty good on its own. If you want creamier soup but no dairy, you can put a little bit of coconut milk in it as well. I would say one of the small 5.6 oz containers for the whole recipe. This would add about the same number of calories as the creme fraiche.

I topped mine off with some minced chives.

Here are some NY Times recipes for blended soups that sound good.

Curried Cauliflower: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/health/nutrition/curried-cauliflower-soup-recipes-for-health.html?ref=nutrition

Tomato and Red Pepper Soup: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/health/nutrition/vegetable-soups-smooth-and-hearty-recipes-for-health.html?ref=nutrition

12 Cold Soups (I made the watermelon gazpacho. Oh my god, it was good): http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/06/03/magazine/cold-soups.html
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    Tree frog smoothy

1 cup plain greek yougurt (I use fat free)
    1 cup ice
    5 med tree frogs
    1/2 cup strawberries
    1/2 banana

Blend until smooth and enjoy!

Can you use those frogs that make you hallucinate? Now THAT would be an awesome smoothie!

You can but as they are much larger than tree frogs I suggest limitting it to only one frog.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    BANANA ICE CREAM

Chop bananas.
    Freeze bananas.
    Blend in blender until soft-serve consistency. (If your blender sucks you might need a splash of milk)
    Add flavoring of choice and blend it in.
    Scream.
    Encourage somebody else to scream.
    Encourage everyone in your immediate vicinity to scream.
    Receive ice cream.

The last four steps are very important. Do not skip them ever.

i am alone in my room and this made me laugh out loud.
  • haylz247
    Options
    put coconut water to freeze in ice cubes overnight

blend with bananas and pineapple

AMAZING!!!

the greatest nonalcoholic pina colada ever. Or hell throw in some coconut rum.

the coconut and pinapple and frozen texture take you to an island!!

OMG! This sounds so good! I have to make this! :love: