-4lbs in a month?! Not good enough

Replies

• jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    I found this site to very interesting. Author is a bit overly wordy, but it may help you:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

edited to say: If I could lose 4 pounds in a month, I'd be ecstatic! I lost only a half pound in 3-weeks!
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    I've gained 5lbs since Friday after being put on Metformin, and I've been watching my carbs and calories very closely. Wanna trade?

Something is very wrong there. Metformin is supposed to HELP you lose weight by removing excess sugar from your blood. Thats why I am still on it....and it does help.

Metformin can take a month to start working. Also, it's not a weight loss drug. It's supposed to be prescribed to those with diabetes or insulin resistance since the body is converting glucose into fat instead of energy.

(I'm not saying you don't have either of those issues. I'm just adding that for people who might read this and think Metformin is a diet pill. Doctors aren't supposed to prescribe it for weight loss in general since it doesn't actually cause weight loss; the reduction in carbs and calories in addition to helping your insulin do its job makes people think it does.)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    I would happily choke half the people in this thread to lose 4lbs in a month. Not good enough...pssh.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    What's your hurry? You're doing great. It is so much better to do it gently. And GOOD GOD! 4 litres of water a day? That can't be good for you.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    OP: At your weight, four pounds per month is a good loss. Since you're lighter, you don't have as much resistance during exercise, and your heart is probably more conditioned now (meaning it takes a bit more work to get into the aerobic zone). As you keep losing, you're going to start seeing 1 pound per week change to maybe half a pound per week. As long as you're losing weight and toning up, that's a good thing. Don't rush it, and don't starve yourself every few days. You'll do more harm than good. Just keep doing what you're doing. In a few months, you'll be down 16 pounds, and that's pretty awesome!
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    We didn't GAIN it over night - we certainly are not going to LOSE it over night!!:noway:

You are losing weight!!! No matter how fast or slow - it is still going in the right direction!! :smile:

The person that suggested "try being patient" hit the nail right on the head! :happy:

And CONGRATULATIONS on the FANTASTIC success - you've become a lot healthier and I bet happier! AND you have become an inspiration to others!!:wink:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Therefore you're right on target! According to your ticker, you've got 45 pounds to lose so somewhere between 1 and 1.5 pounds per week is just right. Look, I get it, I started out needing to lose 100 pounds and the first 40-50 came off pretty easily and then things slowed WAY down. You can't keep doing the same thing and expecting it to work either. I'd suggest setting your weight loss goal a bit lower and start eating back at least half of your exercise calories. As active as you are, you really need that fuel to keep your body going.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Could more knowledgable people take a sec to look at my food diary and exercising. -4lbs in a month sucks. I have gone over calories a bit some days (but at 1280 calories a day, its not hard.)

Ideas welcome.
    I run 6k twice a week and 10k once a week on weekends.
    I do Bikram/hot yoga a minimum of 3 times a week.

-4lbs in a month sucks and I am 170, so I have alot more to lose.
    I drink 4litres of water a day.

too many carbs?
    Thinking of doing the 1 or 2 days a week of alternating fasting (500 calories a day).

Thanks!

I'm on board with everyone else. 1lbs a week is GOOD weight loss.

regarding your comment about carbs, i looked through your diary and saw that on some days as much as 60% of your calories are coming from carbs - but you're a runner so you need them to fuel your workouts. if you want to alternate anything, you might consider adding weight training into your routine and on those days ease off the carbs and have a higher protein intake. that will help add some variety to your exercise and also help burn more calories too.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Would you rather have gained 4 pounds?
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Could more knowledgable people take a sec to look at my food diary and exercising. -4lbs in a month sucks. I have gone over calories a bit some days (but at 1280 calories a day, its not hard.)

Ideas welcome.

too many carbs?
    Thinking of doing the 1 or 2 days a week of alternating fasting (500 calories a day).

Thanks!

Slow and steady wins the race when it comes to weight loss. 1 pound per week is good and manageable. Don't worry too much, just stick with it and the change will come!
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 193 Member
    I agree with all pp's.. 4 lbs a week is awesome.

Also, your losing weight, so less weight resistance during your workouts.. maybe gets some 5 lbs ankle/wrist weights, or one you wear like a vest?
  • 1lb a week is great, so there's nothing negative about that. I do think you need to eat more protein and fat and less carbs. Try 40% carbs/30% fat and protein for a month and I bet you'd see change. I am eating the same amount of food, but I am keeping track of my macros to those percentages and I've lost 10lbs so far this month and I only have 25lbs to lose.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    1lb a month is good, maintainable and pretty average.

Alternate low and high carb days if you'd like. Obviously on low carb days increase your fat and protein intake to make up the calories. I would save the high carb days for days that you run longer distances. Low carb days could be days that you lift/cross train.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Nothing wrong with a pounda week
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    4lbs is ideal, anymore than that might be an indicator of losing weight in an unhealthy manner.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Macros don't matter. All that matters is a calorie deficit. If you are short like me the 1200 calorie minimum does not work because that is basically barely below my RMR. The 1200 calorie rule and "eating up" might work for taller people.

All that matters is you eat a calorie deficit. Nothing else matters and everything else just makes your life more complicated. Of course you should eat mostly healthy, but it is not a requirement for weight loss. I like to eat healthy because it makes me feel good and I simply find healthy foods I like. Life is too short to eat food that does not taste good to you.

While my methods might not work for everyone because there is no "one size fits all" it seems to be helping a lot of shorter people --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Nothing wrong with 1lb a week. That's sensible, healthy, sustainable weight loss.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    I would love 4lbs a month. I've been doing this since April and I've slowed to 1 or 2 lb loss a month. Just glad it is still going down.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    I've gained 5lbs since Friday after being put on Metformin, and I've been watching my carbs and calories very closely. Wanna trade?

Something is very wrong there. Metformin is supposed to HELP you lose weight by removing excess sugar from your blood. Thats why I am still on it....and it does help.

Metformin can take a month to start working. Also, it's not a weight loss drug. It's supposed to be prescribed to those with diabetes or insulin resistance since the body is converting glucose into fat instead of energy.

(I'm not saying you don't have either of those issues. I'm just adding that for people who might read this and think Metformin is a diet pill. Doctors aren't supposed to prescribe it for weight loss in general since it doesn't actually cause weight loss; the reduction in carbs and calories in addition to helping your insulin do its job makes people think it does.)

I was diagnosed with diabetes on Friday. It's not a severe case by any means, but it's there. Friday night was my first dose of Metformin. I've been steadily bloating and gaining since. I Googled to see if weight gain was a side effect, but everything I saw says it contributes to weight loss. Your explanation makes sense. Thank you.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 213 Member

Ideas welcome.

too many carbs?

Hi :-)

Looked over your diary and it seems as if you have been logging on MFP for 5 months. Assuming that you've lost the 46 pounds in 5 months then your loss has been considerable.

Your diary looks fine, excepting the high sodium levels and the calorie counts seem accurate.

There might two things to consider:

1-Your Nike Watch may be giving you an inaccurate reading with regard to calorie count as your running times seem on the slower side. Perhaps you might consider an HRM which is more accurate?

2-You might have plateaued due to your significant prior loss. Many people have upped their calorie counts for a week by 500-600 per day and then returned to their normal low-calorie plan and this has helped them begin to lose again. It is normal when you have a great deal to lose that the weightloss decreased over time. If you haven't reset your profile goals using your current weight you may have an inaccurate BMR.

Good luck-you're doing great!

Thanks!