PTs? People who have had PTs? People who would like a PT?

13»

Replies

• kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Meh. I think they're kinda boring...
    08ptcruiser.jpg

Unless you trick them out:
    0405lre_04z+Chrysler_PT_Cruiser+Passengers_Side_View.jpg
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    I think my PT is fantastic. I was 30+ kg overweight when I started with him but he didn't stop pushing me really hard. He had more faith in my abilities than I did and over time I came to trust him and do whatever he said (most of the time). Even when I felt like a slob and could barely breathe he didn't judge me, just keep gently pushing me to keep going. As long as I put in 100% effort he was happy even if I couldn't do exactly everything he said. I was really open with my nutrition and he gave me a few pointers in a very supportive way. He takes an interest and keeps in touch my email to check I'm still on track. I have a great rapport with my trainer and like to live up to his high expectations. Sounds like I'm rambling, hope it helps.
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    To everyone who has said, 'hope this helps'. IT DOES. I want to know what you want or would want from your trainers. Of course I realize I can't be everything to everyone, but getting a sense of what people are looking for- well, mostly whether I'm on the right track or totally off-base about it- helps a ton.

I was a bit nervous about asking this question here, as topics can really go many ways on MFP (as I'm sure we all know!) but this has been so great.

I have to say, one recurring theme really bugs me- this idea that trainers aren't paying attention. That's a big WTF for me. Trainers get paid pretty good money I would say, and it is at best downright rude, and at worse dangerous that they are off doing whatever else.

xx to all! I know I keep saying thanks, but hell- thanks.
  • vanillarama
    Meh. I think they're kinda boring...
    08ptcruiser.jpg

Unless you trick them out:
    0405lre_04z+Chrysler_PT_Cruiser+Passengers_Side_View.jpg

Wow, I must need a cup of tea, because that took me several minutes to figure out :ohwell:
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    -Make it a friendship, my PT gave me his cell first session which was really surprising since its LA Fitness which is huge corporate gym
    -Don't wear crazy workout clothes at the gym - the head PT at mine wears these tight short shorts when HE works out
    -Don't be super time crazy...like "your 30 minutes is up, later!"
    -Nutrition is so key, and a lot of new client don't know that, make sure you tell them that, its what they entrust in you. They pay you to help them make better nutrition choices, lose weight, gain muscle, and learn A LOT of information to help them in the long run without you.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Let me ask this, and I imagine I'll get varied answers- how much info do you want, as a client? I love well-written articles (good science, not fad stuff) and I believe that the more a client can learn about their own bodies, the more prepared they will be to take care of it. I love to share anatomy, movement, and nutrition information. Is that welcome for you, or would you prefer to just learn in the gym, have your workout written out (coherently) and do your own research?

I think it'd be ok to just ask :)

Would guess, just on the law of averages, that around 10-20% of people are the kind of information junkie you probably are. And even they are likely to be time-poor. Perhaps a focused list of resources, & guidance on general fitness/nutrition principles to help them separate the wheat from the chaff would work for them.

I'd think the rest would probably be glad for simple instructions/algorithms in plain, easy-to-remember language - bullet points, even. Because most people lack time, or don`t have the background tio critically evaluate things, or may be overwhelmed by too much information. For them, you could e.g. prepare a 'cheat sheet' with room for notes addressing individual issues.
  • smtorti
    smtorti Posts: 10 Member
    I am working out with the third personal trainer that I've had in the past five years (the first one moved to a private gym and the second moved away). My current personal trainer is the best so far. When I tried to pinpoint what makes him different/the best, here are the highlights:

1. He understands my limitations (I've had 4 knee surgeries including a reconstruction and had a torn trapezius several years ago) and he has gradually helped me add exercises to strengthen those weaknesses. He has done this carefully and conscientiously so that I don't risk re-injury.

2. He watches every singe thing I do while we are working together and immediately corrects my form if necessary. Again, I appreciate this so that I don't risk injury and I don't create bad habits.

3. When we are working together, he is completely focused on our workout, not socializing with anyone walking by or working out in the vicinity.

4. At the beginning of every session, he asks if there is anything in particular I want to work on. I appreciate this respect, especially since I am often training for a half-marathon or will have a 5k coming up and may not want to overtax my legs.

5. Every workout is interesting. We don't do exactly the same workout twice.

6. He has introduced many new exercises, new equipment (kettlebells and TRX, for example), and new challenges. I've used equipment and the free weight area that I never would have gone near before. This has also given me credibility with the others working out in that area and everyone is friendly to me even if my PT isn't with me. I am convinced that a lot of this comes from their respect for him.

7. He pushes me to my limits (though he says I am one of his hardest working clients and that sometimes he has to hold me back because I don't always recognize my limits). When I thought I couldn't do pushups, he told me to try one. Now he won't let me do anything less than a full-out good form pushup. When I thought I could only plank for x number of seconds, he pushed me to stay at it and doubled my duration in one session.

8. He makes me sweat every session. I mean dripping wet, reaching for a towel, drinking lots of water, and feeling very accomplished because of it. He says never to apologize to a PT for sweating - that PTs love to see a client pushing that hard.

9. He tracks every single workout on a card that he keeps with him. He always tells me when I'm lifting heavier than I've done before or when I've done more reps than the last time. I appreciate that he keeps track so carefully.

10. Whenever he sees me at the gym, he says hello and then the next time we work out together, he'll make mention of what I was doing - how long were you on the elliptical, how was the reisistance, how did your knee feel, did you enjoy your rowing session, good job on planks the other day. Very encouraging.

11. He is encouraging, complimentary, assertive, and demanding. I call him "Killer Kyle" and he loves it.

I hope that isn't more information than you were looking for. I am convinced that a good PT can completely turn around a person's attitude about working out and can change a person's life. It's great that you want to know what makes a great PT, I wish you tremendous success in this venture.

These are exactly all the things I love about my trainer....he's working for me with me! I love it! I'm two months in, I have seen results. We have fun but he challenges me without pushing me past my breaking point. He also notices when I'm not giving 100% and talks to me about if I need a day off or if I'm just not trying. Treat each client for their needs, I think you will enjoy your job more if it's not the same for every person. Also keep records - we like knowing that you know what we did last time and how much more we can push this time.
  • vanillarama
    I've had my first inductions at the gym I'm working at. They've gone really well- I've taken a lot of what you all have said into account, especially about keeping records. I'm loving what I'm doing :)
  • theladysarah
    theladysarah Posts: 10 Member
    have had 5 PT's and the two that stand out are the ones who keep me company whilst I do my work out (general chat etc rather than just about training as it made the time go faster!); keeps me entertained with my routine - in my gym there is an index system where our cards for individual training are kept and I have six cards and they randomly get changed which keeps my routine fresh (it also shows that they paid attention to when I had been in the gym and when I hadn't i would get a call!) and most importantly they actually listen so am never on the treadmill or rowing machine as I hate them but rather am running around the studio or flat on my back bouncing a ball against the wall!!

Think the consistent thing is: we are paying you for the attention that you can give if you pay attention to us then you will love keep us happy!!